View Single Post
Old April 26th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #3
KJ
Strike Leader

Default Re: Carl Macek (1951-2010)

I know, While i grew up on Gatchaman/BOTP (Battle Of The Planets) and several imported Japanimation/Anime shows in my youth. I discovered Macross A.K.A. Robotech much later through cable and came to have a great appreciation for his efforts much later. Seen as bastardizations to some when anime shows are ported over and heavily cut even to this day? Remember DBZ, Sailor Moon, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Gundam's first showings, ALL were cut in various manner as i heard they had done with earlier adaptations with Voltron, Starblazers and Battle Of The Planets in the late 70's and 80's. But they served to introduce the west to the anime genre and you can delve into its mythology and original background if you so choose to do so. And enjoy its original incarnation.

Now with Robotech and Neon Genesis Evangelion struggling to get made into live-action adaptations (although still in "Development Hell") you could say that road was paved a long time ago by Carl Macek, and for anime to be accepted as such.

Anyways i recently came across this if anybody's interested. The original english dub of the film; The Flying Island Of Laputa A.K.A. 'Castle In The Sky' done by fans on a website with, the original English voiceover dub, Japanese voiceover and the recent Disney dub with Hollywood stars and veteran animation voiceover artists (James Van Der Beek and Anna Paquin, Michael McShane, Mark Hamill, Andy Dick, Cloris Leachman, Richard Dysart and Jim Cummings) etc.

Laputa: Castle In The Sky original english dub

http://www.bakabt.com/149367-laputa-...n-the-sky.html

Enjoy! (and don't forget to seed this sucker for a while too, think many should have this compliation of all the dubs)

KJ