View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #16
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Getting close to the time when I should start doing an adaptation of this episode and complete the "Terra trilogy" arc. In the wake of my "Baltar's Escape" adaptation, which I chose to end by having Leiter and the Enforcers kill the Nomen and jettison them into space, I think one idea that's now emerged for me is to have Leiter and all those who were aboard the Galactica with no tangible proof of their experience left to present to higher-ups in the Alliance. This is important from my standpoint since EIT, in its confused state, makes it clear that at episode's end the Alliance government thinks the Nationalists are responsible for the sudden display of power and has no knowledge of the Galactica. So therefore, in order for the peace that the SOL have used the Galactica and Apollo to help bring about to last, the Alliance has to remain ignorant of the Galactica, and Leiter in all likelihood will find himself facing serious charges if he keeps trying to push a story that his superiors now dismiss as a myth.

At the very least, Leiter has to be intimidated into keeping silent about something he has no proof about, or the only other alternative is to have Leiter executed for incompetence, but while I thought it was dramatically necessary to dispense of the Nomen, doing the same with Leiter is something I'd rather avoid.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote