View Single Post
Old December 31st, 2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Lara
Squadron Leader

Default Re: Building a coherent Original BSG Expanded Universe

I'm with DK on the generally haphazard nature of 'resources'. Even the 'official' printed material from the time was a mish mash of pre concept, unused scripts and notes.

The Larson/Thurston books varied according to publishing sequence. Some were directly from episode scripts, some varied with additional backstory and some were clearly written before certain editing decisions were taken.
I have 3 copies of saga, two with diff text, all with diff covers. only the photo novel is even close to the film as shown.

Note also different zones got different cuts of the episodes and the ones cut together for telemovies were different again (as was the cinema releases) My local VHS tapes differ from purchased VHS tapes and from the DVDs

Sue Paxton ran an on line concordance for many years, but it is only on archive form now, as an archived mirror of her Geocities site from 2009.
Fanlore has a useful wiki on BG1978 which is still active and has some pointers to fan efforts at creating some sense of it all.
[URL="http://fanlore.org/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica_(1978)"[/URL]

I suspect any compilation project would need to reference its sources heavily and note the anomalies just to keep the author sane!!

I strongly suspect that between papa Larson, the writing pool and the suits at the network, there was never a real bible as we desire one... but Lucas makes it up as he goes along, too, and only Babylon 5 had a real story arc :-)

Put up what you have where people can help and we might manage to pull something together :-)

cheers
Lara