View Single Post
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #110
Antelope

A person can have deep religious faith and still not believe in the literal words of the religious book of their chosen faith. Serina could be both deeply religious and believe that Earth was a myth until evidence appears to convience her otherwise.

It would appear in both TOS and the Moore version we have individuals that run the full range of faith. In TOS Adama and Baltar represent the two extremes. Baltar actually scoffs at some of the religious ideas of Adama. I also had the idea that Adama was more motivated in his belief in the historical reality of the Book of the Word then he was motivated by their spiritual significance. Even when dealing with Count Iblis, Adama treated him more as simply a powerful being with limitations then as the devil in our faith systems.

On the Moore unfamilarity with TOS: This is a battle I can never win primarily because those who look at this on both sides see what they want to see. Both sides take a sentence here and a sentence there to show he either does or does not have much knowledge of TOS. I would assume that if anyone was a professional and was remaking a series you would get intimate knowledge of the source material. I believe from various Moore statements that is exactly what Moore did. In addition if you look at the mini you will see that Moore intentionally make things in a manner to create a specific story arc. As such Moore had mapped in at least his mind where the story was going this upcoming season before the mini was ever completed. Now that word is leaking out on the upcoming episodes we are already getting word about plot similarities between Moore's episodes and the more popular TOS episodes (Kobol's Last Gleeming-Lost Planet of the Gods/Living Legend?) . We even see some of the less popular subplots also in use (Bastille Day-Take the Celestra and Gun on Ice Planet Zero?). He also brought in the human-cylons from Galactica 1980 from the start of the mini. Some other TOS themes that I believe were laid down in the mini we will have to wait and see if they appear (best example is Starbuck/Cassie/Athena love triangle possibly being done in the new series as a Tyrol/Callie/Boomer lover triangle). It's funny how in one post you can read people say Moore knows nothing about TOS and then a few post later see people complain about how it appears Moore is copying TOS.

I am with Martok on the canon issues. Since the mini at this point is not linked to TOS it makes its own canon. In TOS we have a few minor changes and canon disputes depending on whether you say Saga of A Star World is a stand alone movie or whether part of the series (Was Baltar executed or not). You also have the issue of BG1980. I see a lot who reject all BG1980 but I also see many who believe that somehow "Return of Starbuck" is canon. I read some prequel stuff that to me changes the nature of my perception of "Saga of A Star World" but is it real or not is in the readers mind.

Opinions are often unique to an individual. As such we are all right in our version of reality. I thank you for sharing your perceptions. In the case of Eric I usually disagree but I often learn something anyway from your detailed knowledge of the show.