View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:00 AM   #47
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I think, for me, it was the fact that I wasn't going to get to see Star Wars anytime soon back then (since my parents were trying to break me of my intense sci-fi fascination...and of course, citing money reasons). However, I saw these previews for this show called Battlestar Galactica, and it looked a heck of a lot like the trailers I'd seen for Star Wars. I thought "Wow, a Star Wars show for television!" I had to be on my best behavior because I knew that my parents would find ANY excuse they could to prevent me from seeing this show, at the first opportunity.

Well, Sunday, Sept17th 1978 came, and I had to secure special permission from my parents to stay up so late to watch this three hour premiere (which would go off at 11:00PM). My parents simply said: "You can watch the show on one condition: You DO NOT come out of your room telling us how great it is, because we aren't interested! That's your show, so just keep it to yourself."

I obliged them. They didn't need to know about the greatness of this show anyway.

I was hooked, and then I saw that 11 PM was closing in fast. The movie was about to end.

What I didn't know was that the show was going to become a series. When I saw the epilogue, Baltar's stay of execution, I was thinking: "What the--? You mean, the movie's not over yet?"

And then when I heard "This is Lorne Greene. Here are some scenes from the next episode of Battlestar Galactica." I jumped out of my bed for joy. Of course, I kept it quiet...didn't want to risk trouble with my parents.

I was a happy camper. I was gonna have Star Wars TV every week.

A week later, we went to go see Star Wars in the theatre.

Respectfully,
Martok2112