View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:56 PM   #19
Rowan
On Vacation...

The 14th Colony Survey, Part II

Tis not for my knowledge that asked these questions are, but for your own contemplation and entertainment by answering. If they draw on your thoughts and lead you to become a deeper thinker and enlightened person in the process, my efforts have paid off. On the other hand, if you think the queries ridiculous and get nothing out of them, then it's only a stupid survey on a message board, what did you expect? =) Some are deep, some are shallow, some are lame, and some are perhaps disturbing. You have been warned. Turn back now or forge ahead, but do not hold me responsible for any fits of disgust, gagging, flatulence, or sheer boredom you may experience from the following questions:

1) Who do you see as the person or group who has made the greatest contributions to mankind in the 20th century?
Louis Pasteur because hewas single-handedly responsible for some of the most important theoretical concepts and practical applications of modern science. His work served as the springboard for branches of science and medicine such as stereochemistry, microbiology, bacteriology, virology, immunology, and molecular biology. Moreover, his work has protected millions of people from disease through vaccination and pasteurization.

Some specifics:
  • Discovered three bacteria responsible for human illnesses: staphylococcus, streptococcus and pneumococcus.
  • He developed vaccines against chicken cholera, anthrax and swine erysipelas, potato blight, silk worm disease, rabies
  • Established the basic rules of sterilization or asepsis.
  • Preventing contagion and infection, his method of sterilization revolutionized surgery and obstetrics.
  • Pasteurization of beer, wine and milk
  • The discovery of anaerobic life paved the way for the study of germs that cause septicaemia and gangrene, among other infections.
  • Thanks to Pasteur, it became possible to devise techniques to kill microbes and to control contamination.
  • He debunked the widely accepted myth of spontaneous generation, thereby setting the stage for modern biology and biochemistry.

2) What do you think is the ultimate collective goal of mankind? Is it domination and control, discovery and understanding, knowledge and betterment, or something other? What is our society striving towards? At present we seem to be focused on domination and control but I feel that it should be knowledge and betterment.

3) What invention of the 20th century do you feel affected and moved society forward the most for better or worse?
A- The automobile
B- The airplane,
C- The computer
D- Television and/or movies
E- The harnessing of nuclear energy

4) This is a two-parter, but do not read the second question until you've answered the first.
#1: Say that a brand new form of transportation was invented that would bring our world closer together by cutting traveling time by two thirds. However, this new transportation, this new invention, comes at a steep price, which is that it will cost thousands upon thousands of lives each year. Would you support this invention and agree with its use by those who could be killed by its misuse?
#2: Say that you can travel back in time to right a dreadful invention of the past. With the first part of this question in mind, would you stop the automobile from being invented?
My Boss (when I worked at a Veterinary hospital) used to say to us” it’s not the use of the tool but the abuse of the tool maybe rather than prevent it’s invention I would travel back in time and adjust it, I would make it battery operated, thereby eliminating cars that speed, pollution, the whole oil dependency need, wars, I’d implement stricter driving rules as we have now in BC things like requiring retesting every so many years or make it harder to get you licence to begin with, stricter penalties for abuse of driving infractions, drunk driving and seat belt laws would be implemented right away etc.

5) In the Battlestar Galactica or Star Wars galaxy, what do you feel is the most beneficial technology used by the societies we've seen in the films or shows?Light speed

6) A- The evolutionists claim that the universe was created by an immense cloud of compressed gas that reacted and exploded to form galaxies. If that were true, where did the cloud of gas come from?People have gone nuts trying to figure that out! LOL!
B- The creationists believe that God created the universe from nothing. So where did God come from?LOL!

7) With as serious an answer as possible, if you could be any person in the world for one week to experience an aspect of their life, at any given time in history or the present, who would it be and why (not friends or loved ones)?Wow there are sooooo many: Einstein, Galileo, Germaine Greer, Betty Freidan, Gloria Steinem, Shakespeare, Jesus, Laura Ingalls, Gerald Durrell, Beryl Markham, Dian Fossey, Catherine the Great, Darwin, Julie Payette, Mozart, Michael Angelo, Leonardo Da Vinci, Nefertiti, Cleopatra, Golda Meir, Ghandi, Emperor Henry P'u Yi, Mary Shelley, George Sand, Simone De Beauvoir etc. Glenn Miller, Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, Neil Armstrong.

8) If you could alter your memory so as to mail yourself a gift and receive it as a complete surprise, what would it be?On the scale of completely ridiculous I’d like it to be a land deed for 500 acres on the coast of a gorgeous SouthPacificIsland, air fare included.

Now the disturbing ones:
9) An evil, sadistic villain is going to kill you. There is no way to escape. You are being pushed forward by an unstoppable wall toward three holes in the floor that you cannot get past or jump over. One hole leads to a blazing furnace. The second hole leads to a pool of boiling water. The third hole leads to a pit of hydrochloric acid. You will, without a doubt, be pushed into one of the holes, and there are only thirty seconds before the edge. Which hole will you let yourself fall into? :scatter:
which ever one would kill me the fastest!

10) The evil sadistic villain changed his mind at the last moment and forced you into another room instead, where you are pushed by a moving wall toward five holes that you cannot get past or jump over. Each hole contains either a hungry lion, a "JurassicPark" velociraptor, a Rancor, a pool of water with a school of piranha, and another pool with a great white shark; Your only hope is to choose the least agonizing experience, so do you choose the lion, the shark, the piranha, the Arachnid, or the Raptor? :pacman:since everybody else takes small bites I’d probably pick the Rancor he’d probably rip my head off first or eat me whole!

Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote