Old December 31st, 2013, 03:06 PM   #3
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

Default Re: Building a coherent Original BSG Expanded Universe

That's a tough one. The novels vary, expanding on existing episodes, but sometimes contradicting. The comics (Marvel) kind of went their own way with a story about rigging the fleet with faster than light drives, which the original series never mentioned. The other comic series all took various approaches of their own. The Chris Scalf (spelling his name wrong, most likely) comics tried to tie in as much as possible. Richard Hatch's novels decided to make the Cylons reptilian in armor as they were originally conceived for the show, but changed due to network censors. Can kill as many robots as you like, but not living things. Changing that in Richard's novels is confusing to me because by that point the story line is pretty clear that they were once living beings that were destroyed by the now existing robots.

So sadly a clear consistency is not something that seems to exist in the Battlestar universe. Heck, we all discount Galactica 1980, and that was a produced series. One can come up with their own time line, but it will surely be debated in the annals of fandom.

For myself, I just take it all for what bit of original Galactica I can get out of it. For it all tying together, well that's something where I just ride over the bumps.
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote