View Single Post
Old February 16th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #25
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
Well... it depends on the area's population size as to whether or not kids stay on the same teams.

In our area, it couldn't be helped that many of them were on the same team year after year.

We also selected "All Star" teams and played in a tourney in Carson City, NV.

I recall talking to a chap one year at the tourney, and he was watching and commenting on my daughter (not knowing she was my daughter ) Turns out, this guy was a college scout.

She could have gotten a scholarship from college had she continued to play in High School on that team.

Unfortunatly, she lost interest in soccer after her junior high years
That's the thing about the sport and all sports for that matter. When the kids get older they have to have the skill, experience, temperment, and desire. As they become teenagers their social life becomes more important sometimes or they have to choose one sport or activity and drop the rest.

As long as my daughter wants to play she can play but the day she doesn't its all over. I am glad she plays because it keeps her in shape, gives her confidence and teaches her about being a team player. She would be just as happy however being a cheerleader. She does the cheer camp stuff in the summer. I will be curious to see what she wants when she is older.

My little brother is 14 and in a club team plus plays for his High School. He was in a big tournament this past month with 144 teams. His team lost in the championship game. They had college scouts there. I hope my brother can keep his mouth shut and get a scholarship. He has a tendency to mouth off when fouled. My Dad wishes he could duct tape that boy sometimes.

When I was young I was in Judo. I was in local tournaments and competed in the junior nationals for my age out of state. During one of those tournaments I beat the kid that was then rated fourth in the country. My father was in the Air Force and we moved to a place with no Judo dojos. I never played the sport again. Life has a way of changing your interest and hobbies in ways you never expect. A few years after I quit playing Judo I became an avid bass fisherman, worked in a fishing tackle store, and was considering entering bass fishing tournaments. My Dad moved again in my sophomore year of High School. I have seldom fished for bass since but I tried to surf and met my wife in High School in Hawaii. I left Hawaii and never surfed again. Since then I learned to snow ski in Europe where I was stationed in the Army. Change is the only constant!