View Single Post
Old January 17th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #8
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Thanks for the response, Antelope.

"Play it off the wall" - sounds like our term, "dasherboards".

I like your philosophy. At your daughter's age group, the focus should be on development. They need to learn the game and, once again, you're correct, they can only do that by playing. Seeing "X's" and "O's" on a white board will do absolutely no good. Placing foot to ball will.

I, too, hate the "win at all cost" philosophy, expecially at such a tender age. Of course, it's ok to have a little incentive to win (like a pizza party or ice cream) but, the main priority should be to see them have fun. Showing progress is an added benefit, for both the coach and the player. It helps build confidence that can carry over to other aspects in life -- school, community, etc. Teamwork is also a very important concept to teach early on. From what I've read, it sounds like you're doing all the right things.

My daughter has been playing since the 2nd year of U-8 and is now playing for a U-15 Cup team in the Spring (and possibly Summer) as well as her High School team in the fall. This past fall was her first year on the HS team and she wound up winning a starting position (Defender) on the Varsity squad and was one of 4 freshmen to earn a letter. Considering that our Cup team is also playing futsal this winter, when someone asks me, "when's the season over?", my response is "Never!"

We honestly love the game and the folks that we have met in our many travels. They're wonderful people and my family feels so much richer for the experience.

Keep us posted on your teams' progress.

Best wishes for much success!!

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote