View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:10 PM   #1
AJMarks
Squadron Leader

Default Dimensions - story

Dislaimers: Battlestar Galactica is owned by Universal City USA.

Dimensions
by
AJ Marks

The Battlestar Galactica led the ragtag fleet though space hoping to find Earth one day. So far there had been no signs of the Cylons lately. They had a lot of things that they needed to do but right now they were still trying to put as much distance from the Cylons as they could.

On board the battlestar Blue squad was getting ready for a patrol of the nearby systems. They never knew when they might run into Earth. It might take a while but they still had hope on board the ships. It had been a couple of yehrens but they were still traveling.

"Core command transferring launch controls to blue patrol," Rigel said to the patrol group.

"Transfer acknowledge," Apollo said.

"Blue squad launch when ready," Rigel said.

Starbuck and Apollo launched their vipers to begin their patrol. It was a routine duty that they did. Part of it was to inspect the ships of the fleet and then nearby systems.

"Apollo, did you hear what Colonel Tigh was saying yesterday," Starbuck said as they flew by one of the Argo ships.

"Yeah, it’s a bit strange," Apollo said.

"I know, he was saying that they found it strange that they were picking up a form of the Alpha com line this deep into space," Starbuck said.

"Boomer was saying that it’s possible for it to have bounced off something but he didn't know," Apollo replied.

"It could be the Pegasus trying to call for help," Starbuck said.

"Its possible but I think unlikely," Apollo said.

"Another mystery of the universe," Starbuck said as they turned to head to the nearby star system.

"Commander," a young woman said to the man standing in the center of the bridge.

"Yes Colonel," the commander replied.

"We're picking up some unusual energy in the nearby star system," she said.

"Interesting, set course to investigate," he said. The group of ships turned to head out to see what was causing the problems.

It did not take very long before they had arrived at the scene of the disturbance. The science officer had offered no real identification of what it could be. The attempts to scan it were very abnormal.

"Sir I don't think that we should be here," the colonel said as they looked at whatever it was in front of them.

"Perhaps your right," the commander said preparing to tell the fleet to give some distance from whatever it was.

Suddenly what appeared to be lighting streaked out from the abnormality towards the ships. The commander yelled for everyone to hang on but the ships were violently shaken as crew members were tossed to the deck and things were shaken all over. It felt like it went on for a long time before it was over.

The commander picked himself off the deck and looked around. The emergency lights were on giving the bridge the look like it had just been though a battle.

"Status report," he asked to the rest of the crew who were getting up as well. It was going to be a strange day he thought to himself.

"Power is coming back on line now commander," the report stated as the lighting returned to normal. "Getting reports from all over the ship. The rest of the fleet seems to be all right as well. Reports of some minor injuries."

"Good, let me know if there is anything else," the commander said.

"Commander, there is one thing," she said. "The scanners are picking up ships."

"Well there is a trading outpost nearby," the commander said. It was a stopping point on one of the major trade routes between different areas of the galaxy.

"No commander, this is coming up as Cylon," she said. Her comment spread though out the bridge in stunned silence.

"Cylon," he repeated. That was impossible.

"Yes sir," she replied. "I'm counting fours basestars not that far away from us."

The commander thought about it for a second before telling her to plot the course to intercept.

"Speak centurion," the leader of the basestar said to the two centurions in front of him.

"We are in position to destroy the Galactica and her fleet," the centurion said.

"Good, begin the attack at once," the leader said. It was mindful that he was close to destroying the human fleet than the human Baltar ever was. The destruction of the Galactica would further his career even more than it had been. The final hours of the human race was drawing to a close.

"Commander," Rigel said from her seat. "Multiple contacts heading our way."

"Source," Adama asked.

"They appear to be Cylon commander," Rigel said to him knowing that this was their worst nightmare.

"By the lords of Kobol," he said. The fleet was not ready to have the Cylons find them just yet. The factory ship was not ready and they had just began to think about converting one of the ships into a makeshift warship.

"Shall I scramble the viper squadrons," Tigh said.

"Yes," Adama said. It would be a battle for sure. He just wished he knew how many basestars he was up against. The red alert sounded on board the Galactica as the crew raced to their positions for the upcoming battle.

"Commander, a strike group just left the Cylon basestars but are not heading for us," the scanner operator said.

"Interesting," the commander said. "Can you tell where they are headed?"

"I'm picking up a fleet on long range scans," the operator said. "It appears to be made up of a lot of private ships, merchant ships, a few tankers, a few argo ships and passenger ships."

"This is getting a bit more interesting all the time, anything else," the commander said.

"Hold on, picking up a warship," the operator said. "Battlestar class."

"A battlestar, here impossible," the commander said.

"Sir, it’s the Galactica," the operator said leaving stunned silence in the bridge.

The commander felt numb at what he had just heard. It was impossible that the Galactica was here. He had seen it himself two yehrens ago when the battlestar had exploded. It was a legend now and the entire crew were heroes in the war against the Cylons.

"Set course to intercept. Tell all vipers squadrons to prepare to launch. We fight Cylons today," he said to the group.

"Commander, another incoming fleet, this one just on the edge of our scanner range," Rigel said.

"Two Cylon fleets, they are not playing around this time," Adama said as he thought about ways that they might survive this attack. "Put the Galactica at the rear of the fleet closest to where the Cylons will attack the fleet."

"Yes commander," Omega replied plotting the course that the warship would have to take.

It did seem a bit odd to Omega that the ships of the second fleet were not heading directly towards the fleet. The heading was more towards the other fleet. He decided that he would try and run a scan of the incoming ships. What came back surprised him.

"Commander, there is something that you should see here," Omega said.

Adama quickly walked over to where Omega was to see what it was that Omega was talking about. He glanced down at the scanner then back at Omega.

"I'm running a diagnostic right now commander," Omega said as they both looked at the scanner.

"Humans," Adama said.

"And we're identifying at least one battlestar in the group of ships," Omega said.

"The Pegasus," Adama said. "See if you can establish communications."

"On it commander," Omega said.

"Commander we're getting an incoming communication from the Galactica," the operator said. The frequency is a bit strange so we have audio only."

"Put it though," the commander said.

"This is the Galactica to nearby fleet, Cain if that's you we could use your help here," they heard the voice say.

"This is the battlestar Atlantia, how can we be of assistance," the commander said still not quite over the shock of hearing a voice from the Galactica.

There was a lot of silence on the other end as they waited for the reply. The commander kept his fleet on course to intercept the Cylons.

"Any reply yet," the commander asked.

"None yet commander," the operator said.

"Tell all squadrons to prepare to launch. They are to target all Cylon craft and engage and destroy," the commander said. "We'll find out what's going on after this mess is all cleared up."

"Yes sir," the reply came.

"Adama," Tigh's voice said cutting though the bridge as they heard who was replying. "It just can't be."

"I know colonel," Adama said. "There is no way that this is the Atlantia. We all saw it destroyed at Cimtar."

"But they are registering as human on our scanners," Tigh said not believing what he was seeing and hearing. "It could be a Cylon trap."

"Yes, that though crossed my mind. The only problem is I don't see many other options right now," Adama said. If they tried to run the Cylons would destroy them. If it was a trap the Cylons would destroy them. However if it was not a trap then they would be able to help them. "Maintain course for right now. If they are here to help us then they will intercept the Cylons."

"Yes commander, what about a reply," Tigh asked.

"I'm working on it. In the mean time tell our pilots that they might be receiving some reinforcements but to be careful about it," Adama said to him.

You cannot go against nature, because when you do, that's part of nature too.
AJMarks is offline   Reply With Quote