View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #17
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rain
NOW, if the relationship was portrayed romantically instead of sexually, the storyline could have built more tension. The sex could have been used, sparingly, for an episode where the order to "start making babies" results in a question as to why Boomer can't get pregnant. They do some tests and discover she's.... gasp!...A CYLON!!!!!

Now that's good drama folks. Think about it.

I think a lot of you guys have got a prejudice against the mini that's keeping you from seeing the forest because of the trees. It's a great show.

You have some great insight into the sex versus romance issue. Like you I think many can't appreciate the ground work layed in the mini because of their offense at the surface scenes. I think we do see the differences between amoral lust and the consequences and romance being layed down in the mini for a series. I think many forget this is really a pilot not a stand alone movie.

All the gratuitous sex scenes involve cylons or those that may be cylons. I think the cylon 6 scenes were a little over the top but I also realize that Moore was hammering home a point about the amoral use of sex to manipulate individuals. If anything he is subconciously telling us that such actions lead to our undoing. This is a very moral concept. Baltar is destroyed mentally as a result of his giving in to an obviously beautiful woman in a relationship based on nothing more than material trade. He let sex cloud his judgement. The moral of the story is as old as David and Bathsheba: sex outside of marriage leads to personal and physical destruction.

The Boomer/Tyrol sex was a foreshadowing that Boomer is also a cylon. She may also be manipulating the technical king of her world on the Galactica. Will she be the undoing of Tyrol and the Galactica. Will lust again lead to destruction? We will have to watch the series to find out.

Romance is in the mini also. We saw two examples of it. The obvious kiss between Duella and Roslin's assistant. That was the kiss we see in young junior high school students when just the right circumstance hits at just the right time. It is that first kiss that gives the glow that last all night. The kiss that tomorrow was an "accident" but haunts the memory for a long time later. It may be the start of something beautiful or just the magic of the night. It may have been two people that connected at a moment when all else was lost except each other. Again we will have to watch the series to find out.

We also see the love of Kara for Lee. The love has been surpressed because they have both been in mourning for Zak. Zak was Kara'a love but Lee's brother. He doesn't want to wrong the memory of his brother and yet he is drawn to the woman who was so close to him. The very nature and anger of Kara is a call for help to heal the pain of Zak. Finally with Lee she has been able under the extreme circumstances of the halocaust to lower her defenses and in her way open up her heart and call to Lee for help and love. Where will this go we will just have to watch the series.

On the subject of cylon biology:

For all we know they can reproduce sexually. 6 and Boomer may be on the pill etc. There is some speculation that Boxey is the offspring of a 6 model and the officer on the armistice station. If Boomer does not know she is a cylon she believes she is an orphan and unless she was exchanged for someone with implanted memories she must have grown up from a child. To me this idea goes to the concept that they either are human or know they are cylons. I don't really think both can be logically true.

Moore had less than four hours to introduce all the major characters, incite interest through contraversy, and lay the groundwork for a series. I think he had a good mix of romamnce and lust to accomplish his goal.