View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2004, 10:38 AM   #15
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Marley
Maybe you should be more specific about which Vulcan first officer you like to see naked.
LOL Darth!

You all can probably guess my feelings - without romance I see little point in sex, especially on screen. I don't have a problem with occasional brief scenes in movies if done tastefully, but I /don't/ like sex in my SciFi. I really hate it when I get a Sci Fi book and the author sticks gratuitous sexual inuendos and details in the middle of what (had) been a good story. I buy Sci Fi to read about Sci Fi. If I want oohs and ahhs and embarassing descriptions I'll read a romance novel thank you (which I don't). Very brief scenes onscreen within SciFi are okay so long as its not the primary content of the whole show (like a certain show I will not mention ), and just there to entice pubescent boys to bring up the ratings.

Good writing does not consist of sticking lewdness into a story or script as often as you can. The content of good writing makes little difference and should never be to garner shock value; it's how well you tell that content that makes it appealing or not.

Suggestion is far, far more powerful than stark, blatant, leave-nothing-to-the-imagination scenes. You can get a girl's heart fluttering much faster with slowly revealed tenderness than you ever can by being crude. Movies should know that by now.

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote