View Single Post
Old December 19th, 2003, 11:06 PM   #11
Terayon
Shuttle Pilot

I agree with most of your points. The thing about modern day audiences being more "sophistacated" sounds good, but viewing this "sophisticated" stuff leaves me with the opposite impression. If sophistication means paper-thin characters that are impssible to like, smarmy melodrama that would cause even Star Trek: The Next Generation fans to blush with embarassment, and plot holes big enough to drive a base star through - well, then sophistication has become synonymous with grade B low budget crud.

One thing I'd add: the subplots added up to nothing. Baltar finding that Cylon device on the bridge, and all the time and effort that went into removing it. But it didn't matter! If it was a homing beacon, it had already done its job and it was pointless to remove it. If it was something else...well, it wasn't something else.

The President - she suggested to the commander that the war was over - but he came to that conclusion on his own. Her entire input into the matter was unnecessary.

Yet, these subplots took up the whole show. When such large chunks of a TV show add up to nothing, I feel as if it's been a complete waste of time to view them. Subplots need to contribute something to the overall plot of a movie, yet these didn't.

And the plot holes - why didn't the Cylons just go into the area of space surrounding the munitions depot? Obviously it wouldn't do them much harm - as the Cylon on the depot told us - for they were all present on the depot at the end. The movie not only had major plot problems, but was nice enough to point them out to us as well.
Terayon is offline   Reply With Quote