View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2003, 06:37 AM   #11
WXM
Shuttle Pilot

Hi all!

To add my two cents at this point (the likes of which have surely been uttered thousands of times already, but...) to Dawg

Quote:
"Except for the few of us on these boards, the viewing public probably doesn't remember much of BSG - and don't give a hoot whether or not it's ever brought back. The franchise is dead and buried as far as the outside world is concerned."
I strongly disagree with this. Many people still remember BSG. I'm in my mid-thirties and most everyone I know my age to whom I ask, "Did you watch Battlestar Galactica when you were a kid?" answers with something along the lines of, "Of course! Every week!" They may not post on bbs's, but there's a big difference between coming here, getting a handle, joining discussions--and setting your VCR to record something that's an update (with some same actors, same ship designs more-or-less) of what you enjoyed watching when you were a kid. I think a continuation could be HUGE! And I, as I seem to be so proud of saying here, am not a hardcore BSG fan. I think I'm similar to you, Dawg, but with a different take on the possibilities. The RDM imagining is at least a full step behind what common sense would dictate would be the best way to sell a new Galactica. To "re-imagine" is a alienate those many people out there who, out of pure curiosity, would want to see Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict on screen again. To cancel out that flush of viewership, the new show needs to be FANTASTIC. The Hugo award winning writer was given his shot to win over the folks who wish to see their childhood memories turned into another potential LostInSpaceTheMovie. I see the folks here at CF as the litmus test as to whether RDM did, indeed, create something worthy of canceling out the built-in boost that the BSG property has from having been so very popular. RDM's script apparently is not FANTASTIC (I haven't read it, but I don't think I need to to come to this conclusion(see Michele's post above)). Most of the people who really stick up for it are people who seem to be worried that RDM needs work, might be about to apply to welfare or something; others are people who obviously would watch the new show no matter what, as long as it was done well, which means they're not gone wither way--so why not keep them AND the others who religiously used to watch the original show?

I LOVE many episodes of ST:TNG written by RDM, but that doesn't mean he can do no wrong. It was like with the film Tora! Tora! Tora! The great Akira Kurosawa himself was to direct the Japanese segments of the film--but, as great a filmmaker as he was, his side of the production, for reasons I won't go into detail on here, didn't work out due to his simply being the wrong person for the job. (Kinji Fukasaku, who did Battle Royale decades later, took over and did marvelously.)

Alright, I'm starting to ramble so I'm stopping now while the points seem reasonably well made.

-WXM

P.S.-To Dawg: Hope you're not feeling picked on; just my two cents on all this.

P.S.2- To everyone else: I didn't mean to refer to you all as a litmus test!