View Single Post
Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:16 PM   #131
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

I have to confess that I am at a stage where my enthusiasm for a "properly done remake" would be nil. To me, the whole dream has been centered on one thing only, and it always struck me as strange how the "unity of purpose" idea couldn't have just come down to one simple message of *continuation* with respect for *continuity*. This has more than anything else been the thing that in the pre-GINO era made me want to scream when I would see Hatch's novels show the most flagrant disregard for continuity of inportant plot points the episodes established and the lousy (and that is the understatement of all time) Dynamite comic book carried this disregard to its ultimate peak. I have always had the sense that the powers that be just never get the fact that Galactica gave us an ongoing storyline involving certain characters and an overall story arc that required you to pay close attention to what was happening in a way that series with self-contained episodes didn't make you do. Granted, Galactica didn't do this to the degree that today's shows do it, but it was the first to pave the way toward this in the sci-fi realm, and if that particular storyline remains permanently unfinished, then I have to say in all honesty, there goes much of my enthusiasm for any big-screen project.

The vision doesn't have to be what I as individual would have done if I were writing it or if one of my fanfic stories were being made, all that would be needed is a story stemming from the same respect for the intelligence of Galactica fans and an appreciation for what actually unfolded in the series because too often I think most people act under the misguided assumption that Galactica fans are fans of a mere gimmick as established in the pilot (and indeed, I think many powers that be assume that the too commonly available for years edited theatrical pilot gives you all you need to know about Galactica. How else can one keep thinking that daggits played a role in every episode or that Starbuck remained a Casanova the whole series, when by the end, he was settled into monogamy with Cassiopeia?) and never cared about what actually unfolded in the stories. Yet this attitude is not taken towards fans of Star Wars or Star Trek.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote