Old August 11th, 2008, 05:39 AM   #71
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: For anyone born before the '80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
I don't know....when I was kid all of us kids in the neighborhood were together from sun up to sun down. My best friends' mothers were like second mothers to me and my mom was their second mother too. If ANY of us did something bad, the nearest mother would take charge and march the offender off to their mom's house. Noone got upset because Mother A was picking on Mother B's kid or whatever. They all looked after us all and I don't think they ever got nervous about our where abouts if they knew we were over someone's playing or whatever. All the houses were open to all of us, no knocking required! My parents and their parents were always visiting each other...

When I see those "It takes a village" words, it makes me think of that sense of a village.

Anyways, looking back on it now, I had an AWESOME childhood. We played kickball, releive-e-o, hide and seek, wiffleball, baseball, basket ball, hockey...I think every sport really....we went to the park, signed up for summer activities and arts and crafts....on our own! He had tree forts out in the woods, played "army wars" against the kids on the *other* side of the block. There was even a scary cave we used to dare each other to go in! It was a freaking blast. Miss those days....

Westy,

You just described my childhood and as much as we parents have tried, unfortunately, our children will never experience anything like that.

I miss those days, too.

PS .. You mentioned wiffle ball... well, every couple of years the "gang" gets together and plays a game then, one of the families hosts a little get together buffet for us. (It's a real hoot watching us since the youngest of the original gang is 45. Needless to say, we get the "second generation" into the game as much as possible.)

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote