View Single Post
Old January 26th, 2005, 05:18 AM   #18
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

My vet recommends Science Diet and, while the bit about vets wanting your pets unhealthy was very funny, this vet has never steered me wrong. The food has high protein content (including meat) and most pets seem to like it.

On a side note, I adopted a kitten last year. She was about 8 months old & I was her third family, so she had gone through some tough times. I was told that she loved dogs (and she does love my placid elderly Shepherd), but she was petrified of my puppy, he of the high energy and cat fixation. She has been hiding under and on top of things for the last year and I was just starting to think that it would never work, that I would have to find her yet another home.

But, two days ago, she started coming out and facing down the puppy (he loves to play "tag, you're it" and doesn't understand that the poor kitten thinks he is trying to eat her). She finally realized that if she doesn't run then he won't chase her. Last night I was sitting on the couch with the two dogs and she came up, sat in my lap for a bit, walked past the puppy and flicked her tail in his face, then curled up next to the Shepherd. The puppy stared at her for about half an hour, fascinated, but he never touched (he has learned that a cat that stands still is a cat with sharp claws and no problem using them... )

So, some cats take a LOT longer than others to adjust to new situations. Keep up the great work with those lucky cats, Muffit! Thay seem to have found a great home.

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote