View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2004, 09:06 AM   #109
Boomer65
Shuttle Pilot

Wow, Jerry you're really overlooking the obvious. Solo was the swaggering hotshot counterpart to stoic Luke. Starbuck was the swaggering hotshot counterpart to stoic Apollo. One reserved, one not. Both are “Cocky and loveable, and real ladies men”. Do you really claim to miss that? Really? (See the Time review at the end of this post.)

Quote:
And if you really believe the Cylons look like Stormtroopers, I could equally counter that Boba Fett's slit visored helmet ripped off the Cylon helmet design.
Why not? And pointing out how Cylons are robots and Stormtroopers are clones is inane and besides the point. We’re talking about their outside appearances.

Quote:
Larson borrowed from Exodus and the flight of Moses and the Jews from Egypt and redressed it into a science fiction theme that was original in it's execution.
Original in it’s execution? I can't say for sure. Human’s battles against robots has been around for quite some time. Fred Saberhagen had a relatively long running series regarding man’s war against robots. The concept of alien developed machinery threatening man was also not new in BSG. Someone also mentioned how BSG resembled Wagontrain Ho or some other western whose theme was similar to BSG’s. Larson could be accused of "borrowing" from a bunch of different sources - just like Moore.

Okay here’s something I dredged up from the web (trust me it’s not the only one either). I’m not posting it as proof that BSG was a rip-off of Star Wars but rather that comparisons are relatively easy to make – for anything. I’m sure there were people out there claiming Star Wars, Star Trek, Buck Rodger, et al were rip-offs of something or other. I’m not going to post the whole review but rather just post the beginning – you want the rest here’s the link
http://www.kobol.com/archives/time.html
Quote:
[ Battlestar Galactica review in Time Magazine (September 18, 1978) ]
Small Screen Star Wars
Battlestar Galactica seems strangely familiar
by Bob Rich
What much-ballyhooed show has the following elements:
1. a wise old man whose mission is to save the human race;
2. an unusually nasty villain who wants to destroy the human race;
3. two handsome young bucks who trade good-humored gibes;
4. the most huggable little robot in the universe;
5. a bizarre bar-room populated by inhuman creatures on a desert planet;
6. lots of gray spaceships whishing around against a brilliant blue background?

The answer, as anyone knows who has been watching TV promotion spots lately, is ABC's new series Battlestar Galactica, perhaps the most blatant rip-off ever to appear on the small screen. The show ripped off, naturally, is Star Wars, which Galactica copies in nearly everything but wit and talent. As a result, even before the show premieres this Sunday, it has been caught up in legal controversy.

The plot differs from Star Wars only in detail: by some devilish mischief, a race of robots has zapped twelve of the 13 planets harboring the human race. Led by a human renegade called Count Baltar, a first cousin to Darth Vader, the robots take off in hot pursuit of the survivors of the dozen planets, who are manning a ragtag fleet hovering around the "battlestar" Galactica. The humans are desperately searching for the 13th planet, a lost, legendary human colony called Earth. Lorne Greene is the wise old man in charge, and Dirk Benedict and Richard Hatch play Han Solo and Luke Skywalker... oops. Lieut. Starbuck and Captain Apollo. Galactica's version of Artoo Detoo is a robot dog, a "daggit," named Muffit. Unfortunately, the duplicator at Universal Studios, which is producing the show, seems to have broken down before it could re-create the inimitable Threepio or Star Wars ' Wookie, the most famous Teddy bear since Winnie-the-Pooh.