View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Getting the original back in theaters - an idea...

Hey all -

I know that in 2013 Battlestar Galactica is going to be the the 35th anniversary for the original series. That seems like quite a long ways away, doesn't it? What about the 35th anniversary for the film release? Didn't that come out in the states during the summer of 1979? That would make the summer of 2012 the 35th anniversary of the US film release...

I was watching AMC last week and they were screening E.T. The Extra Terrestrial and a couple of other early 80's films as part of a 30th anniversary retrospective. They obviously weren't broadcasting the films on the exact anniversary date, but that got me thinking.

We'd all like to see the original Battlestar Galactica up on the big screen, right? Since the current film project seems to be mired in development hell at Universal, why not make some sort of effort to get the original film release into theaters as a limited release screening. I know that it was shown at a local theater for Galacticon 2003 convention and as part of a Cinematheque retrospective (I think) a handful of years ago.

I remember a few years ago, I saw the two part ST TOS TV version of "The Cage" in a theater courtesy of Fathom Events. It was just for a couple of days and the ticket prices were at a premium, but the screenings were sold out. Fathom Events are always having limited release screenings of all kinds of performances, etc.

I don't know how it could be done, or even if it could be done because of the film licensing issues, but does anyone have any ideas on how this might be managed, or even proposed to the right people.

I know that it probably stands a snowballs chance in Hades, but I'd love to hear your ideas.

Regards,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote