View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #23
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Default Re: JJ Abrams "Star Trek", Success or Failure?

I really liked the Abrams' Star Trek. I didn't think I was going to, but I went in with an open mind. Unlike Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek has had more chances than most shows or films to tell many stories in various ways. It didn't feel like a tragic turn to have this story go back to its origins.

I think it made all the difference in the world that they didn't simply brush aside what came before. This movie was in universe and quite respectful of where it came from. The changes that occur within the Star Trek universe are catastrophic, but they ring that way in the film throught he eyes of Leonard Nimoy. The changes are emotionally jarring if you are a long time fan of the series. (Yes, I said emotionally jarring. I know its just a story...but without an emotional connection to a story there is no worth in seeing or reading it.)

Instead of just brushing aside the weight of those changes, the film embraces it and shows us that even though the world that was has been turned on its head...our heroes will still find a way to become the characters we know and love.

There is an underlying theme within the story about certain events being set, good and bad. Despite drastically different circumstances Kirk and Spock will learn to work together and eventually become friends, Pike will end up in a wheel chair.

Its like the time line is trying to put itself back on track. I know a lot of people are hoping that the next film doesn't deal with time travel. I hope that they don't do any actual time traveling this time around, but I think just dropping this concept would be a cop out. In my opinion they need to keep dealing with the after effects of what has happened. Its too big not to. I've read rumors of this being the case but nothing concrete.

Now, I loved the movie...but saying that it outsold all the others at the box office is a bit misleading. Sure, it made more money...but things have changed a bit. If the exact same amount of people went to see Star Trek TMP and Abrams' Trek in their respective times, Abrams film would sink TMP monetarily. $3.00 a ticket vs. $12.00 per person makes for an impressive difference in profit.

Star Trek TMP Widest Release: 1,002 theaters with mostly 1 dedicated screen.
Abrams' Star Trek Widest Release: 4,053 theaters totaling over 7,400 screens.

To say that Abrams reached a wider audience has a little to do with mass appeal and marketing, but mostly due to the fact that the film was more accessible physically than any of its predecessors.

I picked TMP just because the two films are the current book ends, but even Star Trek First Contact which held the title before Abrams' film only opened on 2,812 theaters widest release with mostly single screens.

Its a different ball game these days.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote