Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:13 PM   #5
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: The Last Battlestar Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kester Pelagius View Post
Late to the party and only just glancing over some of the files now but, I have to ask. .

Were your character naming conventions by any chance inspired by Banner/Crest of the Stars?

Also the idea of Galactica being a new build vessel. I remember something like from somewhere. I thought it was in the novelization, but the version I'm currently reading makes no mention of this. Was that an idea of yours or was it inspired/adapted from some other BSG related literature?
Hi, Kester,

I hope you're enjoying the story so far.

I've never heard of Banner/Crest of the Stars. The naming convention came up as a result of a discussion/chat I had with our very own Dawg. If there's some similarity, it's completely coinkydinkal. We were talking about the one name notions of the characters, and I remembered stating to him that one of the few irks I had about the original series was the single name of each character. If you called out the name "Apollo" or "Adama" in a crowded room, how many people could potentially answer back? So the notion of adding onto the names to be more specific, citing parentage and birthworld came up. I didn't want to use Latin (although Per does appear in the names) or any kind of Earth language for the locators and additions, but I wanted something that could sound familiar, even to new readers of Galactica.

In Teutonic/Scandinavian countries, the name Von or Van denotes a descendant. (If I recall correctly). So, I decided to go with Vor (for "son of") and Val (for "daughter of"). As "Y" means "and" in Spanish, I went with "U" (pronounced "oo") for denoting "and" in the ancient Kobolian tongue. Per obviously represents stating their birthworld, and Kel means "of the House of".

For informality's sake, this allows for the single name to be used....and it makes more sense to me.

So, informally, Adama is still called just "Adama".

But his full name is Adama Vor Ibrami U Adriana Per Caprica Kel Kobol, which in the ancient Kobolian tongue translates as: Adama, Son of Ibrami (father) and Adriana (mother) From Caprica of the House of Kobol.

And every Colonial is of the "House of Kobol".

There's also sort of a semi-feudal methodology here, as I'm sure you read of the "House of Adama". However, House of Kobol is more spiritual, and holds great relevance to all Colonials, so that is why it is part of their name.

The notion of the Galactica being a brand new battlestar was my own idea, and at that, it was just a pure brainstorm. In the novelization of the original story (and it's even mentioned in the TV series) the Galactica was at least 500 yarhen old. For the purposes of my story, the battlestars that existed before Galactica were around 100 yarhen old. (The wars between the Colonies, predating the first Cylon war, were of a long time ago, and almost culminated in the construction of battlestars. The battlestars in my story were constructed post-Colonial War, more as a deterrent to any future Colonial infighting.) Also, the battlestars before Galactica look like the ones from the new series, which makes sense because the original Galactica looks much more heavily armored than the new series ships (except for the new series Pegasus). I kept the new series Pegasus in this story, because it looks like a stepping stone design for what would become the Galactica in my story.

Thanks for your comments/questions. I do hope you are enjoying the story.

Respectfully,
Steve