View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #1
JLHurley
Warrior

Default "...compelling storyline, memorable characters and exciting visual effects"

It seems like every time I read something about Sci Fi's version of BG, the writer/reviewer can't get through the first paragraph without knocking the original and calling it (among other things) campy.

Well, I just now read an article/press release ( http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...em.cgi?id=7331 ) about the upcoming comic book based on the Sci Fi series and was borderline shocked to see the original referred to as having a "compelling storyline, memorable characters and exciting visual effects." Of course, the company producing the comic (Dynamite) is also working on one based on the original concept/characters, so I guess it shouldn't be a big surprise not to read about how horrible and stupid the 70's BG was; regardless, it sure is nice seeing it actually praised for a change.

Here's part of the article/press release:

"About Battlestar Galactica Originally produced by Universal Television and Glen A. Larson, the hit TV series, Battlestar Galactica, was first broadcast on ABC in September 1978. Starring Lorne Green, Richard Hatch, and Dirk Benedict, this epic space saga went on to become a veritable sci-fi classic. With just thirty-six episodes created, Battlestar Galactica has enjoyed syndication over the last two decades, most recently on the SCI FI Channel.

"With its compelling storyline, memorable characters and exciting visual effects, millions of fans tuned in every week to join Commander Adama, Apollo, Starbuck and the crew of the Galactica on their journey through the galaxy. Hunted by the diabolical Cylons, a mechanical race set out to destroy all humans, the crew of the Galactica and its ragtag fleet of survivors’ only hope was to find legendary planet Earth—believed to be the home of the missing Thirteenth Colony of Man.

"Inspired by the classic series, this extraordinary story was re-imagined by the SCI FI Channel and NBC Universal Television Studio in December of 2003 in the form of a 4-hour miniseries event."