View Single Post
Old September 26th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #4
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocha2112
I dunno, after this past week I don't know how I can see a "bright side" any more. My heart sank last Monday when I first saw the promo for the "Peagus" episode. I didn't watch this past episode of TNS, but from what I'm reading, it sounds awful. I used to be sheepish about telling people my favorite Sci Fi was BSG because I really don't want the ridicule and mocking about liking "the cheesy show". Now I feel I have to keep my opinion to myself even more so in case people think I mean TNS, because I certainly don't want anyone to think I even remotely like that thing. (Even when a certain someone wears a black leather jacket. )

I think Sci Fi and BSG has been damaged beyond repair after last Friday night... I hope history proves me wrong.

I hear you mate!
But I see it this way:
I'm proud of TOS, just like I'm proud of Roddenberry's vision of the future in Star Trek. Sci-Fi SHOULD be about hope, and humanity's best aspects. About striving to overcome adversity without becoming animals.
I no longer feel that ANY other sci-fi fans have the 'high ground' of fandom when it comes to 'their show' over BSG! I'm proud to say that I love TOS, not this new ghastly rubbish!
Sci-Fi fans DON'T want this kind of garbage! It's what has now killed the Star Trek franchise, and it'll kill GINO as well.
GINO has NOTHING to do with OUR show Mocha!
NOT A FRACKING THING Mate, so don't despair!

Lords of Kobol only know what Moore is attempting with this trite rubbish!
Perhaps he thinks himself the 'Tarantino' of the genre? If so his attempt comes accross more like: An even more 'cut price' Guy Ritchie does 'Space Above and Beyond'.
I thought for a while he was attempting the kind of clever 'shock value' of Robert Heinlein in the classic 'Starship Troopers' but having looked a bit more closely, I think he lacks the talent (in spades) and the intelligence to even see what a great writer like Heinlein was attempting.
I really wanted to at least find something in GINO to like! I've analysed it to the Nth degree! I even fantasised that he was shooting for a kind of 'role reversal' where the Cylons end up being more Human than the Colonials, and as there appears to be some kind of 'morality' based conflict amongst the Colonials, perhaps he'd turn one of them to the Cylon side (like Corum in Moorcock's Eternal Champion novels) to create an anti-hero 'nemesis' to lead the Cylons in a crusade to destroy the corruption and cruelty of the humans.
I think I was giving him WAY too much credit there!
I think he's more about shocks and controversy, with an extemely dodgy morality reflected in the 'ends justify the means' sotylines that are so far removed from what TOS was all about.
However, that said, imagine how we'd all feel if he'd been given the reigns of a show with the original cast to mess with?
We should all be greatful!
We've seriously dodged the bullet here!
The one thing that talentless wanker can't mess with is OUR vision of the show, or our memories of it!
I don't think I'd feel the same if I'd just watched Dirk Benedict torture a prisoner for 45 minutes!
Not that I think Dirk would have swallowed that felgercarb for a second! I think he'd have stuffed the script where the sun don't shine on RDM.
But you take my point? Let him destroy HIS show! Let us be greatful he can't touch OURS!
I think that he's in the process of gifting us with the best 'boost' for the cause of of a revival in the last few years!
Centurion Draco is offline   Reply With Quote