View Single Post
Old May 21st, 2005, 07:47 PM   #18
Haveke

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci-Fi
That's one of the criticisms of Luca's story telling. He often leaves large gaps and doesn't properly setup the backstory. Some people speculate it's intentional so he can sell more books and toys. A few minutes dedicated to the telling of the Sith History/background and why there "can only be two" instead of an order like the Jedi should have been told instead of having to buy the books to explain it all. Grevious had no backstory unless you saw the SW's Clone Wars or read the books/comics. In the book, Boga was a noble animal (and its sad what happens to her), but in the movie she was just some random animal Obi-Wan rides.

A Sith Lord is supposed to be more powerful than any one Jedi Master, even Yoda. But in the SW3...
Spoiler
The fight between Yoda and Darth Sidious was pretty even and many fans questioned Yoda's withdrawl from the fight. "It was like Yoda decided to take his toys and go home." It would be different if somebody showed up and the odds were against him, but there were only the 2 of them in the Senate chamber.

Then you have Obi-Wan not finishing Anakin, even as a mercy killing for a former friend and apprentice. Even though Obi-Wan said he couldn't kill Anakin, why would he want to see him suffer? One would expect that from a Sith Lord, to enjoy watching the suffering and last moments, only the gloating is missing. In ANH, Obi-Wan says to Luke " your father wanted you to have his light saber" but between the "I hate you" screamings, nobody recalls Anakin saying, by the way, give my light saber to my son that I don't know I have yet....lol...j/k. But it was a nice nod to ANH to see Obi-Wan pick up the Anakin's light saber.

Yes the visuals are stunning and captivating, but some feel they seemed more geared to a tie-in to a video game. Plus the film dumbed down Padme and the dialogue often generated more laughs and groans, or was that intended? How many times does Lucas have to put in "I have a bad feeling about this" in his movies? Or robots saying "Owwww" before dieing? R2D2 has a lot more features/abilities than we have seen in previous movies (what happened to them?), but didn't seem to use them when it was really needed, like not using the jet pack/thrusters (or did he run out of fuel?) when the ship tilted and R2 was sliding down the floor. At the Star Wars forum, fans are a bit more critical but still enjoy the film and give it a thumbs up.

It is Lucas' creation so he could do anything he wants despite the fans wishes and criticisms. Lucas often said the fans of the original trilogy are 30+ and the fans of the prequels are younger than that. So he is successful in attracting a new generation of fans to Star Wars, but some feel he abandoned the concepts of the original trilogy that made those films so memorable and the characters so likeable in favor of showing off technology.

Agreed... I've Had Very Detailed Discussions with a Friend of Mine about the Star Wars Sith "Only Two at a Time" (IMHO Sith Lords Don't Play Well With Others) Count Ducoo Had No Ambition: No Driving Force (No Pun Intended) He felt He Had Learned all the Ways of the Jedi, and Got "Lazy"... IMHO, Being a Sith Lord is Kinda Like Being a Starting Running Back in the NFL... Your Job is Only Secure so Long as You are Able to Fight Off All Others Who Might Threaten You.

Spoiler
From What I've Seen & Read, the Sith Fought Amongst Themselves Constantly... Perhaps a Thousand or More Years... there is a Tales Of The Jedi Sourcebook Available (For the Old West End Star Wars Role Playing Game System) that Gives a List of Jedi & Sith Powers... FORCE Powers that were Lost Because of all the Wars.

Okay, From Reading the Tales of the Jedi Graphic Novels, Sourcebook & Also Later Jedi Academy Story, We Learn that there Was a Sith Temple on Yavin IV. Ok, Luke had to Destroy the Dark FORCE Ghost of Xzar'kun (sp?) well... According to the Graphic Novels Tales Of The Jedi, he was the first Human to be Granted Status of Lord of the Sith. (Kinda Scary... Know What I Mean?)

I agree that it Seems like Everything is Geared towards Selling Star Wars The Video Games... I Have maybe 3 Video Games Installed on My Computer, and I've Only Really Played One... (Mission Risk)

Spoiler
Some Alien Species are Immune to the FORCE... Others are Not... Hmmm... What I really enjoyed about The Tales Of The Jedi Graphic Novels are: it Shows for the First time that Species other than Human and Yoda can Be Force Users, and Masters of the FORCE.

Sith Artifacts are Totally Wicked!! Emperor Palaptine collected as Mush as he could & Hid them in an Underground Vault at the Imperial Palace. Now, Acording to the Books... some of these Artifacts Can Bestow upon its wearer Certain Sith Powers...

When its All Said & Donel, I Would Give Lucas an A++ on Revenge Of The Sith

See You On the Flight Deck

Always Stay With Your Wingman