Thread: Recipie Swaps
View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #17
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breea
Lara,
Remind me never to come down under without my own measuring cups and spoons...LOL I'll never figure out how to do conversions from good old USA to metric before eeverything burns but it would be worth the try just to get the chance to meet you.
Breea
Hi Breea,
A fellow food lover is always welcome at my table!!

I agree conversion on Aus (metric) to US can be a pain. It gets worse if you consider the British have a slightly different system as well., so all my mothers old recipies needed rejigging.

My husband and I work a lot of US recipies, so we fixed it by weighing out water on the scales and marking the level in a steel jug by scratching it with a sharp nail. This works because water weighs the same as its volume in metric: so 236ml of water weighs 236 gram, and thats a US cup measure!! I leave converting lbs & oz to gm & Kg to the electronic scales.

We do have one unit of measure in common: An american teaspoon is the same as an aus one, ie 5mls
but american tablespoon is 15ml (3tsp) whereas an aus one is 20ml (4 tsp)
An Aus cup is 250 ml, and an US cup is 8floz which is 236ml

So a spoonful of sugar over here is a sweeter mouthful, and your cup runneth over if I lend you a cup of sugar

I'll have to look for a good conversion site, and post the url

Cheers,
Lara
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote