View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2004, 03:48 AM   #27
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
The only good thing in Battlestar Galactica 80, besides the Starbuck episode, was that they finally made a two seated viper. Though that was really a cheap extention job.

I did like the motorcycles at the time...but I was like very young. Having flying motorcycles are too campy now. Though it is possible with alot of advances.....

Btw Martok, alot of those scenes you mention above didn't hit me the same way. I didnt get a strong read of emotion in the performances. Though the one scene with Sackhoff I liked was when she made a confession about Zac. (though I did like her viper scenes in the final battle.

To me when Adama thought his son died was kinda wooden. Its amazing how two people can see the same seen. Though for me, it was less a EJO performance issue but a directoral/editing thing. I don't think the director was a good choice. (Besides all the obvious things that would get a original Battlestar Galacticafan upset).

Agreed that in many cases, a director can really break even an actor's efforts. The actor may have a better take on the scene than even the director, but usually it is the director who prevails. He may have wanted Olmos to appear shocked beyond emotional conveyance, but that can be difficult to do convincingly. EJO is a tremendous actor, and he may have gotten precisely what Rymer was looking for...but it may not have come across to many people the way it did to others.

Starbuck's confession to Apollo was great. The tension in her voice when she says: "It's the end of the world, Lee. I thought I should confess my sins." was subtle. And her expression when Apollo asks: "We're comin' in a little hot, don't you think?!" I swear it looked like she was channeling Dirk Benedict himself with that face. "No! Not really!" That look of nervous confidence is priceless.

Yes, it is interesting how two different people can perceive the same scene. Again (and this is something I often forget) it is the beauty of humanity.

Respectfully,
Martok2112