View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #22
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

A few more thoughts on the subject:

When I watch something, either in a theater or on TV, I want something that catches my interest and touches my heart. This may seem to be a rather obvious statement, of course we want to view something interesting and touching.

Looking back on the original Battlestar Galactica series , I readily admit that there were some less than stellar moments - Carillon, Hector and Vector, and Young Lords to name a few. However, there were also a great many instances where the character portrayal was rivetting. There was also great use of the ensemble of actors/actresses that made up the Galactica family.

Some of the scenes that I loved are as follows:
  • Adama--The "weeping" scene on Caprica, at the ruins of his home, where he clutches the picture of Zac and Ila. This was right before his "Let the word go forth..." speech. The enormity of what had happened hit him, personally, and he grieved, the same as any of the other survivors on Caprica or any of the Colonies. Compounding his grief was the overwhelming task of being responsible for the safety of the remaining Colonial survivors.

• Apollo--The scene immediately following Serina's death where he breaks the news to Boxey. No matter if you're a parent or not, the scene is a heartbreaking one.

• Starbuck--The scene on the Ship of Lights where he (and Sheba) were confronted by the BOL. Starbuck's willingness to sacrifice himself, for Apollo, speaks volumes. The "lovable rogue" would pay any price, even the ultimate one, for his friend.

• Cassiopeia--Her scene, aboard the Galactica, just before Starbuck and Apollo take the Cylon raider "behind enemy lines", where she grilled Starbuck about going on the mission. For me, the ending lines of the scene were especially meaningful.

• Sheba--The very next scene, aboard the raider, with Apollo. She, finally, broke down and revealed her feelings toward Apollo. Just the realization that everyone "lost" something or someone and everyone was trying to hold on to whatever or whomever was meaningful to them.

For me, scenes like these epitomize what was "right" about the original Battlestar Galactica series . It was a very dark time that was being portrayed but, at the same time, there was that small sliver of light called "hope" which had yet to be extinguished. That was what carried them through the painful times.

Those are the elements that I would NEVER change. Those are the elements which I believe made the original Battlestar Galactica series what it became (to us).

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote