Thread: Reverse homage
View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2004, 07:46 AM   #163
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112
Warrior, my dear bloodwine slogging friend (sorry if that last bottle was a little too fresh.....2375 wasn't a very good year. )

I can partially agree with this assessment in this manner:

Look at Smallville.....Clearly it is a story about Superman in his adolescent years as Clark Kent. However, it seems to forego the traditional telling of Superman's story, addressing it more from a teenager's point of view.

Before that, there was also "Lois and Clark: The Adventures of Superman".

Now, the Ron Moore Battlestar Galactica series clearly foregoes the traditional telling of Battlestar Galactica as we knew it from 1978. Conceivably, it could've been retitled something else with different characters, and different names for the ships....stating in the credits that this "differently named" show was "Based on Battlestar Galactica created by: Glen A. Larson."

However, whenever someone hears the following premise:

A lone, mighty warship, the sole survivor of a once great battlefleet now leads the
last remnants of humanity in a motley fleet of starships to search for a final outpost of humankind in the universe, after a single night of violence and bloodshed perpetrated by a mechanoid race solely intent on enliminating the human race.

There is not much doubt in my mind that they will say: "That is BATTLESTAR GALACTICA."

It is kind of a "damned if we do, damned if we don't" situation for the writers/producers of the new show when it comes to naming the new series "Battlestar Galactica". If it were named anything else, then those who may not have had an affinity for the original Battlestar Galactica series might be turned away from the Ron Moore Battlestar Galactica series by saying: "God, this is just a ripoff of the original Battlestar Galactica series ." For the very same reason, since it was named "Battlestar Galactica", and since it represents such a radical departure from the traditional tales of the original Battlestar Galactica series , the fans of the original show now say the same thing.

And I do realize that I just cul de sac'd my way into the argument that the original show needed not be remade. All I will say to that regard (after THWACKING myself severely in the THWACK thread) is that the Ron Moore Battlestar Galactica series is a reflection of modern thinking. Flawed heroes, flawed villains, tons of gray area, somewhat more realistic depictions of space battles, etc. Not that the values of 1978's heroes are outmoded ---far from that....it really just boiled down to bread and circusses.

Now, if you all will excuse me...I do believe I owe myself a THWACKING. You are all invited to attend.

With great humility,
Martok2112
O.k., I know I've said this before, but someone at scifi.com proposed just "Galactica". If people can stand teenage Superman being "Smallville", would TOS fans have minded that?
Mustex is offline   Reply With Quote