View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2004, 10:53 AM   #44
PingPongBallEye
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjackrandom
It can be argued that TOS position on religion is VERY anti-religious. There are hints that the ideas of religious strife in Colonial society did enter Larson’s thoughts early in the show’s creation, as indicated by the pilot. The subject never came up again, however, probably because it was a bit too extreme for television of the period.
Agreed. I've always thought that in regards to religion (specifically, contemporary Christianity), classic BSG was one of the most subversive shows ever to air, presenting as it did a cast of "virtuous pagans" whose "gods" turned out to be highly evolved and technologically advanced aliens. (Note: I'm not passing any judgements on pagans here, the term is borrowed from Tom Shippey's The Road to Middle Earth, in which he discusses Tolkien's & C.S Lewis' differing treatments of the ultimate fate of non-Christians in LOTR & Lewis' Narnia stories)

On that note, I'd add that while I would love to see the new series revisit some of the original's storylines, god-is-an-alien isn't one of them. Given how integral it is to the Galactica mythos, I have no hope it can be avoided, but personally I have had it up to my non-pointy ears with the "god is an alien/alien race" bit. I know, I know, classic BSG was probably the first SF series to make such a concept so central to its storyline, and it isn't BSG's fault that the theme has been done to death since. But IMHO it's going to be tough to find some take on the idea that hasn't been throughly plowed under by the likes of DS9, B5, or Stargate SG1.
PingPongBallEye is offline   Reply With Quote