Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Galactica Cafe (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The last person (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1741)

Bombadil March 26th, 2004 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muffit
In the old days before computers, there were these elaborate strategy games, pioneered by a company called Avalon Hill. They were all the rage.
:muffit:

Ahhhhhhh. . . .
Baseball Strategy! Gettysburg! D-Day! Chancellorsville! I learned a lot of history from those games. Tactics, too. Never attack a city on a hill across a river!!

Does bring back the memories!

:) ~~~~~

braxiss March 26th, 2004 06:53 PM

:devil:

Rowan March 26th, 2004 06:54 PM

:D

braxiss March 26th, 2004 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holodoc2000
tee hee! I'm snatching thread once more. :D

*sneaks up on braxiss* You enjoying those brownies? ;)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

yyuuuummmmmmyyyyyyyyyyy :thumbsup:

holodoc2000 March 26th, 2004 06:57 PM

tee hee! Glad you are enjoying the brownies braxiss. :D

Where is Dawg? I haven't seen him here today. :(

Muffit March 26th, 2004 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomasbombadil
Ahhhhhhh. . . .
Baseball Strategy! Gettysburg! D-Day! Chancellorsville! I learned a lot of history from those games. Tactics, too. Never attack a city on a hill across a river!!

Does bring back the memories!

:) ~~~~~

Hi Thomas! I still have several! If I remember right I have:

Circus Maximus
Magic Realm
Alpha Omega
Wooden Ships Iron Men
And one i always call Orc Frenzy cuz I can never remember the name ;)

As you can see, I never really bought any of the regular war games (yep, I'm a scifi/fantasy person all the way!). The only sad thing was, I could never talk anybody into playing against me. *sigh* Nobody wanted to read a manual that was longer than 3 pages. Oh well, I loved shopping for them! We had a store with the whole upper floor dedicated to these games! Must've been thousands (even home-grown ones). Every so often I would come home with one and my spouse would say, what the heck did you buy that for?

And I would say, "Itttt was onnnn saaaaaale!!!!" :D (Python is so great...)

braxiss March 26th, 2004 07:00 PM

haven't seen dawg in awhile myself

Rowan March 26th, 2004 07:04 PM

Dawg was online when I came on now he's dissapered!

Muffit did you ever play Myst?

GRAB!!:D

holodoc2000 March 26th, 2004 07:07 PM

tee hee! I'm snatching thread now. :D

Guess I am gonna have to hog tie Dawg when I see him to it that he stays put for awhile. :D

Muffit March 26th, 2004 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowan
I was refering to your HARD DRIVE;)

On that note :music: I have a REAALLY good one for ya Rowan (and everyone). REALLY funny.

Many, many years ago, computers had no video screens. We talked to them exclusively by a printer with a keyboard (TTY). We would wait what seemed like eons for the computer to process what we just typed in, then finally ask us a question, which it typed out at a "blistering" 33 chars a minute!!! So slow!!!

One day, the mainframe was broken, and printing out all kinds of garbage. Mostly it was right, except a couple chars would be mispelled. The engineers from the mainframe company came in and scratched their heads over it for hours. They finally thought they had it.

As we all stood there, a little crowd around the printer, we watched as the guy responded to the boot questions. You know, like "Taape Reedder?" -- YES. "Prinnnter?" -- YES (kinda a stupid question since how else could we see what it was saying). Then it came to the storage media question...

"Floppy disk???" Only it didn't say "disk". It replaced the "s' with a "c"!!!!

We were already giggling like crazy. Then he had to type the reply: "YES"

WE BUSTED UP!!!!! :D :D :D

:D :muffit: :D

braxiss March 26th, 2004 07:12 PM

lol :laugh:

holodoc2000 March 26th, 2004 07:15 PM

LOL! I'm snatching thread from ya braxiss. :D

You need any milk to go with the brownies braxiss?

braxiss March 26th, 2004 07:17 PM

:milk:

mmmmmmmmmm milk

brownies yummy

braxiss getting fat and happy

Bombadil March 26th, 2004 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muffit
Hi Thomas! I still have several! If I remember right I have:

Circus Maximus
Magic Realm
Alpha Omega
Wooden Ships Iron Men
And one i always call Orc Frenzy cuz I can never remember the name ;)

As you can see, I never really bought any of the regular war games (yep, I'm a scifi/fantasy person all the way!). The only sad thing was, I could never talk anybody into playing against me. *sigh* Nobody wanted to read a manual that was longer than 3 pages. Oh well, I loved shopping for them! We had a store with the whole upper floor dedicated to these games! Must've been thousands (even home-grown ones). Every so often I would come home with one and my spouse would say, what the heck did you buy that for?

And I would say, "Itttt was onnnn saaaaaale!!!!" :D (Python is so great...)

I had a weird experience with Baseball Strategy once. My friend was beating me badly and regularly. 25-5. 31-3. Ridiculous scores for baseball. Finally I got fed up and challenged him to a test. (The basic play of the game was very simple. The player on the field chose a card labeled with one of five types of pitches (high inside, low inside, high outside, low outside, pitchout). The player at bat chose one of four types of swing by calling it out. The "pitcher" would turn up his card, showing the pitch, and then you would refer to a chart, matching the swring against the pitch, to find the result.

As I said, he was creaming me. So I set the stadium board aside, took the deck of cards, looked at the top one without showing it to Ron, and asked him to tell me what it was. He guessed it right. So I chose another card. He guessed it right. I kept on choosing, and he kept on guessing right. I got suspicious and kept the card carefully covered so he couldn't see the back of it. I checked for reflective surfaces that he could be reading. There was no doubt--he was guessing the cards consistently correctly, and there was no reasonable explanation.

I wish now that I had followed up on that incident, maybe arranged some carefully controlled tests by impartial adult third parties. Didn't do that, so now all I have is a freaky memory, but I know it happened, and that's what counts.
:star:

Rowan March 26th, 2004 07:27 PM

tackle!!:rolleyes:

Bombadil March 26th, 2004 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowan
tackle!!:rolleyes:

"Tickle" is spelled with an i.

:D

holodoc2000 March 26th, 2004 07:30 PM

tee hee! I'm snatching once again. :D Hard to believe that we are now up to 183 pages here on this thread already. :eek:

braxiss March 26th, 2004 07:30 PM

how 184 pages

holodoc2000 March 26th, 2004 07:33 PM

LOL! yep yep yep. :D

Finished brownies yet braxiss? :D

Rowan March 26th, 2004 07:34 PM

TICKLE!!!!

I love tickles :D :D :D