Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   ART Work - In Progress (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   New Studio Scale Models and other Great models on the way!! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12322)

BlueSquad2001 November 28th, 2005 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spcglider
Here's the low-down: Urethane, when it cures, releases Isocyanate gasses. Sound familiar? That's because the root word is Cyanaide... poison.

Isocyanates are long-term poisons that build up in your system. Your body will try very hard to get rid of them, but they don't like to go easily. Exposure to them (even regulated exposure) wil eventually cause them to build up in your body and make you ill.

The amount that it takes varies from person to person, and the time it takes to build up in your body varies as well. But over time, you WILL develop a sensitivity to them.

Typical symptoms include: shortness of breath (induced athsma), skin rashes, itching, throat irritation, dizziness, and oddly enough, back pain. Other, less obvious effects are irritability, short temper, and even paranoia.

But like I mentioned, this all varies from person to person.

Example: My boss Dave got a massive exposure to urethane several years ago. He can no longer be in the building when we pour resins or he immediately goes into athsmatic arrest. I have been exposed over the course of 12 years. I get skin rashes, back pains, and athsmatic attacks when I'm exposed. But my boss Mike can work with the stuff unprotected after 12 years and has no obvious effects. On the extreme end, I personally had a friend who committed suicide after long-term chronic exposure. First he tried to commit suicide by police officer. Eventually he just did it himself. His diaries indicated a long-term paranoia that coincided almost perfectly with his unprotected exposure to urethane. Did he have other problems? Yes. But I sincerely believe that the situation was spurred on by chemical influence.

So, how to avoid all this? Easy:

1) get yourself a NIOSH approved filter mask with the biggest, most ass-kicking filter cartridges you can buy. Make sure your catridges are the highest rated ones you can get. They won't completely protect you, but they will help limit the exposure through your lungs.

2) set up your workspace so that you are cross-ventilating to the OUTDOORS. This means you need to have a CONSTANT flow of air running through your space. Clean air must enter at one end and fume-y air must be vented out the other end. Be sure you don't vent right into an area that supplies air to another house or building. Your fumes will just get sucked up and deposited into their space.

3) always wear latex (or if you're allegic to latex) nitrile gloves when handling the urethane components or the mixed combo. Not only can Isocyanates enter your body through the lungs as fumes, but they also affect you through the skin. Be sure to get yourself some of those disposable tyvec jumpsuits they use when they paint cars. It'll keep you from wrecking your clothing.

4) Use and Do all the stuff above. Also: DO NOT do this IN YOUR HOUSE. There is a reason why these things are called "garage kits" by hobbyists. Its getting to the cold seasons of the year, so I suggest you make a spot in your garage and set up space-heaters to keep the place warm. PLEASE... I'm BEGGING YOU. DON'T DO THIS IN YOUR BASEMENT OR HOUSE.

5) If you feel like you've started to show any of the signs of overexposure, you need to get away from the stuff. Take a break from it for at least two weeks. In the mean time, you can exercise and pump your lungs good and hard...run, bike, whatever. Drink ALOT of water. It helps your body get rid of the toxins. And best of all, get thee to a sauna. Especially after you workout. A sauna will force you to sweat alot and encourage your body to expell the toxins that way.

Now, about your resin. If you weren't given a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) when you bought it, you should go back there and get one. Every chemical available to the populace MUST have an accompanying MSDS. It is the law. Read the MSDS carefully and it will probably tell you the make-up of your paint system. If you have any questions at all, just pick up the phone and call the manufacturer. They will be happy to answer your questions about the specific product.

Last but not least: Don't think you're invulnerable because it doesn't affect you right away. Use the protection from the start and you WILL stay healthy.

-Gordon

This is the BEST information on the subject I've ever read! Thank You! :salute:

spcglider November 28th, 2005 08:08 AM

When the safety of fellow warriors is at stake, you don't mince words! :salute:

-Gordon

BlueSquad2001 November 28th, 2005 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spcglider
When the safety of fellow warriors is at stake, you don't mince words! :salute:

-Gordon

Between us, I don't think we should have poured our first tests on the kitchen counter. Oooops! :wtf: :wtf:
Terri has asthma, and shortly there after, she was having an attack, maybe it's not related, but better safe than sorry the next time around. :...:

Darrell Lawrence November 28th, 2005 08:42 AM

Mike, pieces look great!

Gordon, THAT may be a good article for the Articles section as well ;)

BlueSquad2001 November 28th, 2005 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrior
Mike, pieces look great!

Gordon, THAT may be a good article for the Articles section as well ;)

Give a call today if possible. We are about to move forward with what we spoke about. :D

WarriorChemist November 28th, 2005 10:48 AM

Great article...

Thank you Gordon... I really appreciate the article. What I can't believe is that there was no mention of this in the instructions that came with the molding and casting kits!

I didn't think anything of it when I had an asthma attack later because I've been having them a lot lately anyway. They had almost stopped but then I got pneumonia earlier this year and my lungs haven't been right since.

Last night after we did the casting, I vacuumed the whole house, upstairs and down, cleaning baseboards, under the beds, closets, etc. I figured that overexerting myself had caused the attack. I'm sure the fumes didn't help any.

Thanks again for the article! :salute:

peter noble November 28th, 2005 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarriorChemist
I didn't think anything of it when I had an asthma attack later because I've been having them a lot lately anyway. They had almost stopped but then I got pneumonia earlier this year and my lungs haven't been right since.

I too suffer from asthma, so you have my complete sympathy and understanding. In the UK asthma sufferers can have a pneumonia injection that lasts 10 years when they have their flu injection.

Can't you not have the same thing in the US?

Best,

Peter

BlueSquad2001 November 28th, 2005 10:53 AM

Battlestar Galactica (GREEBLIES) for detail of the finest sort. Buy, what I had to go through to get these important bits. These will also be offered for sale. :salute: And yes, that is my (blood) in the left hane corner...OUCH! :rotf:

http://tinypic.com/hwl8n4.jpg

Gemini1999 November 28th, 2005 01:14 PM

I recognize one "greebly".....

It's on the bottom just left of center. It's white, with four round bits with a stick-like projection holding them all together.

It's an antenna from the Apollo Spacecraft Service Module. I built so many of those when I was a kid, I would know that thing anywhere!

BlueSquad2001 November 28th, 2005 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini1999
I recognize one "greebly".....

It's on the bottom just left of center. It's white, with four round bits with a stick-like projection holding them all together.

It's an antenna from the Apollo Spacecraft Service Module. I built so many of those when I was a kid, I would know that thing anywhere!

You are very correct. Had to hunt like hell to find this kit. It was used as a part on top of the colonial blaster, toward the rear of it. In the pic, there are tons of Viper parts, shuttle, battlestar, cylon raider, pistol...and the list goes on and on and on...... ;)

Griffworks November 28th, 2005 03:33 PM

No disassemble Terri! :eek:

That's all a part of what I was trying to warn you guys about w/the stuff being considered hazardous, especially for disposal purposes. Don't even think about sanding the stuff w/o some sort of face mask and eye gear! It gets in the lungs and you can cough it up hours or even days later. I know of a couple of guys who've said they were sick w/teh stuff and continued blowing it out their nose for the better part of a week once.

TwoBrainedCylon November 28th, 2005 03:57 PM

Mike and Griff,

Total novice question but I've been interested in this stuff for a while.

Where would the total novice go to start learning how to do this?

Sandy

BlueSquad2001 November 28th, 2005 04:04 PM

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

This is Terri posting for Michael. Just wanted you to know that Michael said you could call him about this. I sent you a private message with his number.

Terri
:salute:

Griffworks November 28th, 2005 06:20 PM

For an online tutorial, I recommend visiting Starship Modeler.com's Site Map. Scroll down to the "Scratchbuilding" section. The fifth entry down is Molds & Casting For Beginners which should help a lot as well.

TwoBrainedCylon November 29th, 2005 03:08 AM

Griff,

Thanks.

Terri,

Thanks and looking forward to talking with you guys again.

Sandy

BlueSquad2001 November 29th, 2005 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon
Griff,

Thanks.

Terri,

Thanks and looking forward to talking with you guys again.

Sandy

Good Morning Sandy! Still working on the Viper. Adding final detail to the aft engine section, and detailing the ribs on the cans. Can you send the items discussed over the phone earlier? It would be a FANTASTIC addition to this Advanced Viper. :D :salute:
BTW....can anyone help with studio scale Cylon Raider Dimensions? What might it be in comparison to TOS scale? Wing length tip to tip, Front to back? Or if one of you CGI guru's could do a size comparison sketch of a raider to the studio scale, would be a big help. :wtf:

WarriorChemist November 29th, 2005 05:10 AM

He's gonna make it I think!

Michael will finally get to post something in the Artwork - FINISHED section before long! :viper2:

This is a big accomplishment. He has spent countless hours on this project. :D

TwoBrainedCylon November 29th, 2005 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSquad2001
Good Morning Sandy! Still working on the Viper. Adding final detail to the aft engine section, and detailing the ribs on the cans. Can you send the items discussed over the phone earlier? It would be a FANTASTIC addition to this Advanced Viper. :D :salute:
BTW....can anyone help with studio scale Cylon Raider Dimensions? What might it be in comparison to TOS scale? Wing length tip to tip, Front to back? Or if one of you CGI guru's could do a size comparison sketch of a raider to the studio scale, would be a big help. :wtf:

I can do all of this but it might take a couple of days. I have the studio scale raider model and can take measurements for you.

Will do the renders and get them off to you as well.

If you don't get them by the end of the weekend, kick me in the butt and remind me.

Sandy

BlueSquad2001 November 29th, 2005 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon
I can do all of this but it might take a couple of days. I hae the studio scale raider model and can take measurements for you.

Will do the renders and get them off to you as well.

If you don't get them by the end of the weekend, kick me in the butt and remind me.

Sandy

Hi Sandy.
Trying to get some things finished on the DeSanto and cast. Next project that I'd like to get cast, and the body is finished, ie the DeSanto advanced Raider. I'd like to start by monday finishing her up. Will wait for your renderings and measurments. You'll LOVE this Raider model, and want a few! That's our next project folks, and it'll be BIG! New Raider, and it's already started. :salute:

BlueSquad2001 November 29th, 2005 09:25 PM

:colonial: HERE'S SOME SHOTS OF THE MASTER BUILD-UP WITH THE STUDIO SCALE! :colonial:
this is a pic showing the master parts being test fitted and side by side with TOS studio scale. The detail is really being added now, and only a couple of days work left till completion. Thanks to all of you for your help and inspiration to pick this project back up after over a year gathering dust. It was almost thrown away a few months back. Thanks to Mark Bradley, for talking me into dusting her off and offering her to all of you. :salute:
http://tinypic.com/i1wsae.jpg

http://tinypic.com/i1wsd3.jpg

http://tinypic.com/i1xxtz.jpg