Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Last Battlestar......Galactica! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   TV Movie into Feature Film (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2182)

peter noble March 7th, 2003 01:44 PM

TV Movie into Feature Film

In 1979, TPTB looked at the the Buck Rogers in the 25th Century pilot and said: "Hey this is pretty good, why don't we release this as a feature?"

And they did, paying for their production costs and making a nice profit at the same time.

Well riddle me this my batttling Battlestar Buddies.

Why couldn't TPTB of this year, say give a certain film producer about $25m to make a continuation TVM through the auspices of their TV arm and then release it in your local mutiplex?

Just a thought.

Peter (who has watched: Spiderman, Spiderman Strikes Back, Spiderman: The Dragon's Challenge, Battlestar Galactica, Mission Galactica: The Cylon Attack, Conquest of the Earth and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century – TV productions all, at his local cinema)

jewels March 7th, 2003 02:00 PM

Lack of Marketing imagination?? No, no it's the right hand is not even attached to the same body as the left ankle (like film distribution doesn't even know who to call for info on TV productions developing that might have broader than US markets??) Just some random thoughts. Total speculation, you understand.

Artemis March 7th, 2003 02:29 PM

They did apparently do well off the theatical release of Battlestar Galactica in the foreign markets back in 1980.

KJ March 7th, 2003 04:10 PM

Question for you Peter? Did you watch those "The Man From Uncle" movies at the cinema too! The 2 parter episodes, that made their way into theaters back then. I watched all them ones you listed on TV never had a chance to see them on the big screen. (Conquest Of Earth i watched on tape though)

So far Hollywood has left the classic "TMFU" show alone, but for how long? Before remake fever overtakes them bozos in the Hollywood hills and we're screwed over again by another unwanted remake to cash in on the success of a classic TV series.

KJ

guittarjedi March 8th, 2003 02:20 AM

I saw "Saga of a Star World" in a movie theater in 1978. I think the reason they were able to release it in theaters is because it had production values equal to a major motion picture. The only way they could get away with doing that again these days is if this new pilot was made at the same level as a major film.

peter noble March 8th, 2003 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by guittarjedi
I saw "Saga of a Star World" in a movie theater in 1978. I think the reason they were able to release it in theaters is because it had production values equal to a major motion picture. The only way they could get away with doing that again these days is if this new pilot was made at the same level as a major film.
I don't know. Quite a few of the Star Trek opening episodes are good enough to be features IMHO.

Peter

captmiloman March 8th, 2003 04:02 PM

I'm surprsied the runored Six Million Dollar Man feature hasn't seen the light of day yet. I remember hearing that Kevin Smith wrote a screenplay but Universal turned it down. I also saw somewhere that Joss Whedon was interested in writing a screenplay.