Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Galactica Cafe (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Where to go 4 uniform? (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4896)

chez1701 November 8th, 2003 11:34 AM

Where to go 4 uniform?

Hello fellow colonial's! I just joined & was wondering where or how can I put together A warrior's uniform?

I tried to do a search & came up empty! :warrior: I would like to put it together for next holloween!!

thanks! Cesar

Quoshara November 8th, 2003 11:37 AM

Let me do a few checks. Some of the costumers that I know used to do BG as well as ST.

I'll post anything I find for you here.

chez1701 November 8th, 2003 11:59 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! I went to ebay & boy does that place gives me a headache! I never was a big fan of ebay! any ways looking for boots too! :tos:

Muffit November 8th, 2003 12:44 PM

Welcome to Colonial Fleets chez1701!!! There ar a bunch of people here at Colonial FLeets who know where to buy uniforms! I was just reading one thread about it yesterday but can't remember where it was. If you post this under BSG Discussion you will probably get several replies right away.

Meantime I will keep looking to see if I remember where I saw the link.
:muffit:

chez1701 November 8th, 2003 12:48 PM

Great thanks for the quick reply! I will make the attempt to move this thread! wish me luck!

Muffit November 8th, 2003 12:52 PM

Hi again chez! Here's a place where you can get the whole uniform:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/halloween.../warrior.shtml

It's not cheap but it looks great! I'm sure there are other places too, keep asking here and you're bound to get a dozen replies! :D
:muffit:

chez1701 November 8th, 2003 12:56 PM

Roger,roger thanks bro! I'll look into it!!!:warrior:

November 8th, 2003 02:41 PM

I understand that the boots for the uniform were motorcross boots that could be purchased commercially. Good luck!

chez1701 November 8th, 2003 04:58 PM

Thanks guys! This makes me feel welcomed!!:emperor:

Quoshara November 8th, 2003 06:36 PM

Accessories

Okay....

Here is one site I know of. They don't have complete uniforms, but they do have some BG accessories.

http://www.costumecostumecostume.com/Patterns.htm

Go all the way to the bottom. All the Trek stuff is at the top.

Quoshara November 8th, 2003 07:15 PM

More costumey stuff

Okay... for a full set of Colonial Warrior garb you can go here:

http://www.battlestargalactica.org/

It's a bit pricey in my book... but then again, I prefer to make my own.

If you do as well, you can go to this link for the more hard-to-find pieces. Authentic braid, buckles and badges...

http://search.stores.ebay.com/search...&submit=Search

When they used to do a lot of BSG stuff at Universal Studios, the only thing the employees got that looked authentic was the jacket, holster and boots. Underneath that they wore beige Levi's and a beige mock turtleneck. The jacket covers all the extra piping and stuff anyway. *G*

Apollo November 9th, 2003 05:45 AM

What Size Boots are you looking for? I run into them from time to time?

chez1701 November 9th, 2003 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Apollo
What Size Boots are you looking for? I run into them from time to time?

I'm a size 12. Are the boots close to the original series? Thanks for your help!:warrior:

Apollo November 9th, 2003 07:49 PM

The Boots are exactly what was used on the series. FullBore Moto-cross boots by Sidi. I'll keep a eye out for you!

shiningstar November 11th, 2003 07:55 PM

WHOOOOAH THE prices are a bit steep even for a CLASSIC Uniform like the ones shown. I know unless I win the lottery I won't be getting it. Now if they had the pattern.................... I could MAKE it then.

Charybdis November 12th, 2003 08:14 AM

Boots

The Sidi motocross boots are the hardest things to come by. They were old 1970s leather boots and they just aren't in huge supply anymore. But, keep looking and sooner or later a pair will pop up.

No other boot really does the uniform justice...

Cylon Number 13 July 1st, 2006 10:30 PM

I did a search on eBay once for Battlestar Galactica TOS Uniforms and found one that the person wanted about $300 for, if my memory serves me correctly. The funny thing was, that the uniform didn't include the boots, gunbelt, holster, etc... What's up with that? For $300 the darn boots better be included. The uniform isn't complete without them.

Lara July 2nd, 2006 01:09 AM

Has anyone been enterprising enough to sell a pattern fro the uniform??

Someone out there must be clever enough in pattern drafting to get it right.
Then you can decide on ultra expensive microsuede or cheaper imitations (imitation imitation suede...???)

And if someone was selling acessory kits, not just a bit of this and a bit of that, they'd probably be popular as well...

But the boots will always be the prob..they weren't common in the early 80's, and didn't come in female sizes (I read somewhere that is why the female warriors didn't get them...feet were too small) Theres also a bit of modification required, and those used boots that had service in motocross are rarely in good nick 25 years on.. :( :(

Cheers,
Lara

Dawg July 2nd, 2006 09:18 AM

The boots alone cost upwards of $300, though.

If memory serves, there was an outfit in Florida a couple years ago who were selling boots very similar to the boots worn on the show, and I think some of our folks who were putting together costumes got some. Not sure about that, though - I certainly don't remember the name of the company.

It's the uniqueness of the costume that makes it cost (unless you could find a pattern - that's a good idea, Lara) because they aren't simply flowing robes or army surplus (or JC Penney). You're not just paying for the material, you're paying a craftsman for his/her time and talent, too. Particularly if you want the costume to be accurate, and made to last beyond one convention.

Fandom often doesn't come cheap.

;)

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

emerita July 24th, 2006 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chez1701
I'm a size 12. Are the boots close to the original series? Thanks for your help!:warrior:

Here is a great place to buy boots for any occasion.....They are well worth the money. Jim is licensed to make the excact replicas.....

http://motorcowboy.zoovy.com/categor...galacticaboot/

The Galactica boots are $499.00....But I figure if you are going to act the part you better look the part.... and these boots are made to last a lifetime. I have a pair of Adi Gallia boots. Just make sure you follow the measurement guide exactly and they will fit like a glove.....

jewels July 24th, 2006 08:16 PM

for a custom made warrior jacket, look for a seller on eBay named Katarra8. If you've seen Richard's 2nd Coming video, you've seen some of her work. She also sells warrior patches regularly through her store & through auctions. I bought my warrior pins and squadron patches from her. Warrior pins can supposedly be bought at army surplus places though.

Best source for braid is probably Chris Pappas at www.chrispappas.com

spcglider here has some neat items for sale too.

KamikazeAthena July 24th, 2006 08:23 PM

Steve Madden made some female boots about 2 years ago that looked like a cross between the real ones and the ones that the girls wore. I wear them with my uniform and am constantly complemented on my choice. I don't know how easy they are to find now. I got them in both black and white.

I might be getting a pattern that I can create a jacket pattern from that is "shareable". (My original one was just rediculous.) If so then I will post info on the fleets. I should know in a few weeks when I acyallu have the pattern in my hands.

FYI - the materials for the jacket one are not that cheap:
fabric - $30 to 60 (depending on the type and if you line the jacket (you really need to)
buckles - $25-30
patch - $7
pips - $15

And that is not including a pattern. I also added a secondary facing to give it shape. Cost is at least $100.

Dy

monolith21 July 25th, 2006 12:24 AM

I'd love to get a pattern of the uniform you made. It looks awesome!

KamikazeAthena July 25th, 2006 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith21
I'd love to get a pattern of the uniform you made. It looks awesome!

Thanks. I can't find it though! Honestly, it was not the best to work from. Know that I know some tricks I will see if I can come up with a real pattern when I do the white suit. :D

Maybe I will be like Barbie :girl: and do an Athena or Cassie dress, just to see if anyone gets it. Oh! Serina's wedding dress!

Ok, maybe not. :)

Charybdis July 25th, 2006 09:44 AM

What about the Joel Roberts boot? Are those from Motorcowboy or are they a different outfit? I remember seeing that they are almost exact replicas except that they have six buckles instead of the traditional correct 7 on the Sidis...

monolith21 July 26th, 2006 03:02 AM

No, the Joel Roberts boots are not from Motorcowboy, but they are by far more accurate. I'd say if you can't track down a pair of original Full Bores then go with the Joel Roberts replicas. The tricky part in dying them will be the outside of the Cam buckle since there is a big metal plate. If I didn't have the Full Bores I'd go with that pair. I think they're about a hundred bucks cheaper as well.

monolith21 July 26th, 2006 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KamikazeAthena
Thanks. I can't find it though! Honestly, it was not the best to work from. Know that I know some tricks I will see if I can come up with a real pattern when I do the white suit. :D

Maybe I will be like Barbie :girl: and do an Athena or Cassie dress, just to see if anyone gets it. Oh! Serina's wedding dress!

Ok, maybe not. :)

Bummer! I loved your uniforms! I've been chomping at the bit to get hold of some sort of pattern. I know enough people that sew (excluding my sorry butt) to get it done up right. I've got all the hardest parts to track down. The boots, the gun belt and the blaster...now I just need the actual uniform! I even have the buckles. I'll have the braid soon as well.

emerita July 26th, 2006 03:14 PM

ok, I went to see the Joel Roberts boots and they to me are not accurate. Maybe for the new series.... Motor Cowboy look way better because they are identical to the ones Apollo wore and they are well worth the price... but that is my own opinion..... :)

monolith21 August 27th, 2006 09:28 PM

The motorcowboy boots have quite a few benefits. They are easy to get in your size and they are brand new. However they are majorly innacurate if you're big on that type stuff. First off they don't have the cam buckles. The toe is way off and they don't have the right soles. The only thing that differs majorly on the Joel Roberts boots is the buckles. Otherwise the overall look of the boots is way more accurate.

I've seen both in person and I own two pairs of the originals (not screen worn mind you, just the same model of boot used on the show). I wouldn't put either down though. We're dealing with very rare boots so I think getting into the right ball park is a miracle in of itself. I think as long as we can get everyone on the same page as far as boot colour is concerned we'll all match up nicely!

Sept17th August 28th, 2006 08:47 AM

This topic thread has been quite the pleasant surprise. As some of you know I’m working on a Battlestar fan film with the goal of epic scope and high production values…it’s a real expensive pain in the arse. Costumes and props are a big part of making this a success or not. I belong to a forum dedicated to costumes and props and have found this thread more helpful lately.

With that comes the subject of patterns. I happen to know there are at least a handful of people willing to pay $50.00 for a good pattern. I’m positive once word got around at least another twenty would line up to buy patterns. Any who K.Athena we need to talk again soon.

The Motorcycle Cow Boy boots are nice but just don’t look right considering the price, over $150.00 than the real thing. I used some generic motocross boot painted flat black at Galacticon and looked fine. Military units use slightly different versions of boots all the time. I was in a hurry and made due, here are some links to brand new Sidi Joel Roberts Boots. They run $250.00, the last link is Sidi corporations’ own web page.

http://www.motonation.com/item.asp?c...pid=251&rdir=1

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...05&division=2#

http://www.sidisport.com/eng/motorcy...t_ID=MMJOELROB