Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Galactica Cafe (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Geek Heirarchy (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9601)

Darth Marley February 23rd, 2005 06:35 AM

Geek Hierarchy

http://www.brunching.com/images/geekchartbig.gif

gmd3d February 23rd, 2005 07:23 AM

:LOL: Very funny .. :LOL: :LOL:

wait no it not!! I am in the list :eek:

Rowan February 23rd, 2005 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis

:LOL: ((((((((((((((((Taranis)))))))))))))))))) I think we all are ;) :D

Rowan February 23rd, 2005 10:19 PM

All I want to know is why erotic furries are so fur at the bottom??:D

Darth Marley February 23rd, 2005 10:53 PM

Did you see the CSI episode about the erotic furries?

Rowan February 23rd, 2005 11:39 PM

Yes!! :D

Darth Marley February 24th, 2005 03:41 AM

Then you shouldn't have to ask such a question!

TopGun February 24th, 2005 03:47 AM

Holy Frack, that is funny

BRG February 24th, 2005 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Marley

The guy dressed as Wile E. Coyote shot dead by a farmer for worrying sheep! :eek: :wtf: :LOL:
Only in America! :D
BRG

Senmut March 8th, 2005 02:28 AM

They left out the archaeologists. You know, the Ancient Geeks.

Rowan March 8th, 2005 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Marley

Did you read my question carefully?;) :D

Rowan March 8th, 2005 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senmut

:LOL:

Fragmentary March 8th, 2005 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowan
Did you read my question carefully?;) :D

Maybe he meant to ask if you were IN the episode with the erotic furries? That was a pretty hot fur pile ;)

Rowan March 8th, 2005 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fragmentary
Maybe he meant to ask if you were IN the episode with the erotic furries? That was a pretty hot fur pile ;)

Not sure he or is that you ;) would want to know the answer to that :D

Fragmentary March 8th, 2005 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowan
Not sure he or is that you ;) would want to know the answer to that :D

:eek:

Mustex March 8th, 2005 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis

I'm on it in four places. I'm an anime fan who likes to watch it both with and without subtitles, and I believe anime is superior to live action but I only counted that as one. I also seek to trade in my "amateur writer" status for "published writer."

Mustex March 8th, 2005 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senmut

Hey! That's one of my top two choices for a major! (the other is psychology) ;)

:Nsalute:

Mustex March 8th, 2005 06:02 PM

BTW, does it move me up or down that I don't know what a "furry" is?

Lara March 10th, 2005 01:24 AM

Thanks Darth, its so spot on! :thumbsup:

I know people in most branches, but no furries (which I only knew existed from seeing CSI)

I'm on the SCA folk and fanfic writers arms. :D :D

I just know CSI will do a SCA ep at some point. :eek:

Does impersonating your lead insert character from your fanfic on a BSG board count as a reverse placement of yourself in your fanfic?
No matter, I'm geeky enough that another level either way doesn't hurt! :D

Cheers,
Lara

BRG March 10th, 2005 07:55 AM

I was also living in blissfull ignorance of the existance of Furries until that episode of CSI. :salute: And I confess, I have no idea what SCA is all about. :errr:

As for the Geek List, BRG does not too badly! I only get down to the second level as a RPG videogamer, and a comic book fan who reads superhero books. Oh, I'm also a 'Trekkie'! ;)

But, compaired to many here, I must be considered pretty cool! :cool:
BRG

Rowan March 10th, 2005 09:28 AM

Hey BRG the SCA is:

Quote:

The Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.

The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. Our "Known World" consists of 18 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in countries around the world. Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which may feature tournaments, arts exhibits, classes, workshops, dancing, feasts, and more. Our "royalty" hold courts at which they recognize and honor members for their contributions to the group.
http://www.sca.org/

:D

If you look for an article on the web entitled "My life as a furry" it's an interesting read, I would include the link but well it is not totally G rated :D ;) There is quite a number of sub groups to this particular group and only a very small percentage of them are the one that the media seems to fixate on.

Quote:

Men in rabbit suits and girls in tails and whiskers: cute and cuddly, or sexually perverse? The world of fur fandom is rich in nuance and contradiction. Not surprisingly, the media always seem to get it wrong.
Plushies, furries, plushophiles, fursuitophiles are other names used to describe them.

BRG March 10th, 2005 11:07 AM

Sca

Thanks for the info Rowan. :)

I'm not suprised I havn't heard of the SCA, it appears to be a mainly North American orginisation. And although there is a Scotish society- The Shire of Harpelstane , it is based in Lothian and Fife in the East of Scotland. Edinburgh and St Andrews are a good 60-70 miles from my Ayrshire home! It may not sound far to Americans & Canadians, but it's the other side of the country for BRG!

A guy I work with is into this sort of thing. He does all that 'Braveheart' battle reinactment carry on, you know, the dress up as Scots & Engilsh from Bannockburn or Culloden and pretend too hack each other to bits. Then round the day off by having a sing-song and getting pissed!
When I was a boy, we went to a 'Tournament' when we were on holiday in Northumberland. They had joust & sword fights in full battle armour, and it was really cool. Although they also had a RAF rescue helicopter giving a display, it sort of broke the fantasy! :D
BRG

Lara March 11th, 2005 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRG
Thanks for the info Rowan. :)

I'm not suprised I havn't heard of the SCA, it appears to be a mainly North American orginisation. And although there is a Scotish society- The Shire of Harpelstane , it is based in Lothian and Fife in the East of Scotland. Edinburgh and St Andrews are a good 60-70 miles from my Ayrshire home! It may not sound far to Americans & Canadians, but it's the other side of the country for BRG!

A guy I work with is into this sort of thing. He does all that 'Braveheart' battle reinactment carry on, you know, the dress up as Scots & Engilsh from Bannockburn or Culloden and pretend too hack each other to bits. Then round the day off by having a sing-song and getting pissed!
When I was a boy, we went to a 'Tournament' when we were on holiday in Northumberland. They had joust & sword fights in full battle armour, and it was really cool. Although they also had a RAF rescue helicopter giving a display, it sort of broke the fantasy! :D
BRG

Australia imported the SCA from the Americans about 20 years ago, via the SF&F connection. It has its greatest appeal to colonials (excuse the pun) who have no direct medieval history of their own to reenact.

It has been compared to live role playing (which it is not) and to living history (also which it is not)

For places like Britain and Europe, the SCA ios only present as a result of US bases, and the rest of the native population tend to get involved with smaller authenticity and living history groups based on real and usually local history instead of joining a recreated Kingdom . The main difference is these other groups do mostly demonstartions and performances, whereas the SCA does it for their own amusement and holds events that are closed to the public vs being paid public performance.

I won't get into the authenticity vs recreationism debate, but I will say each side has things to offer, and not all things suit all people.
Personally I have played SCA at a high level for 20 yrs, but I have also belonged (long distance) to Regia Anglorum, which is an ultra authentic living history group based in Britain. It now has US offshoots from SCA people looking for authenticity in their Viking/ Norman AngloSaxon persuits, but there was not critical mass enough here to form a subgroup..

The sort of mixed military display you saw is quite common now, and often reflects the whole military history of a site. I like the authenticity of these displays, but I scratch my suspension of disbelief itch with the SCA: I have truly heard and seen things than transcend time, and history doesn't become more alive than that!!

Cheers,
Lara