Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
(http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   BG-02: Lost Planet Of The Gods (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7787)

Flamingo Girl May 10th, 2003 09:05 AM

BG-02: Lost Planet Of The Gods

Apollo and Starbuck discover a magnetic void ahead of the fleet. Jolly and Boomer bring back a viral plague from their scouting mission to a Cylon asteroid which infects all of the Viper squadron pilots--and cripples their military capabilities. As Baltar and the Cylons threaten the fleet as the Colonials scramble to train new pilots to defend the fleet, while Dr. Salik searches desperately for a cure to the mysterious illness. The Galactica and her fleet are led by a lone star in the magnetic void to a dead planet which may contain the key to the Colonials' salvation. Starbuck is captured by the Cylons. Apollo and Serina "seal" as a lone star appears within the void. Adama believes the planet is Kobol, the world "where life began." The Colonials survey the dead world. Baltar appears to bargain with the Colonials; Adama finds proof of the exodus with insights into the Thirteenth Tribe's wherabouts. The Cylons betray Baltar's plans and attack the fleet and Kobol; the new pilots face destruction as they are outnumbered. The ill pilots recover, thanks to Dr. Salik's medical work, and bolster the Colonial defenses. Starbuck is returned, but Serina is killed.

Series stars; Richard Hatch as Apollo, Dirk Benedict as Starbuck, Herb Jefferson Jr. as Boomer, Lorne Greene as Adama, Terry Carter as Colonel Tigh, Maren Jensen as Athena, Tony Swartz as Jolly, Laurette Spang as Cassiopia, Noah Hathaway as Boxey, Sarah Rush as Rigel, David Greenan as Omega, and John Colicos as Baltar.

(Thanks to Michael Faries Battlestar Galactica.com)

shiningstar August 13th, 2003 10:23 PM

I almost forgot about this episode .......it's been so long
since it's aired. But it was a great one.

Belloby October 21st, 2003 03:15 PM

This episode has special meaning for me because it was the first time that girls were seen as warriors.( I know in the piolet that Athena was a warrior, but we actually never saw her in combat.)

Seeing the women shuttle piolets really made me feel good...almost special. I was a young, shy 13-year-old at the time who did little but read and study. By watching those young women do something cool and important, gave me the courage to strike out and do something on my own.

To this day, I still pop in that episode when I'm feeling down.

Thanks, BSG.

Muffit November 2nd, 2003 10:04 PM

I just watched this again tonight. Wow, what a moving episode. There is /so much/ going on. Apollo's wedding, Baltar's trickery, sickness among the pilots, female cadets trying to cope, the magnetic void, and something very, very interesting. (see below).

I just got my Indy DVD set too. I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark just before Lost Planet of the Gods. Let people say BSG copies from others. Even more shows copy from BSG. You've gotta get a chill watching the laser-like beam of light in the tomb bounce off the gems, and realize Indy's map room scene is almost identical! Thing is, it's not so unique -- the Egyptians incredibly built temples like Abu Simbel for just that purpose -- one day of the year the sun would pierce an aperture and light up something important way at the back of the temple/tomb. But BSG did it 3 years before Indy. Pretty cool!

Richard's mourning is a piece of incredible acting! Most series actors take 6 or seven eps to really fall into their character. Richard did it right off the mark. (Dirk too). The only other sci fi series actor I ever saw nail his part right off the bat was Bill Shatner in Star Trek TOS. Day 1 line 1 he /was/ the quintessential Kirk (to borrow a Klingon phrase). :)

The devastating damage to the wall frieze about the 13th tribe just as they found it was a great piece of writing. It actually sparked the same feeling of bitter dissapointment and irony in me. So close! My personal opinion is the BSG writers did an awesome job in the limited time allotted. Weaving all those plots together with an ongoing mysterious mythos took more talent than I think most folks give them credit for.

Great ep!!!
:muffit:

Charybdis November 3rd, 2003 08:13 AM

Serina and Apollo...

You know, watching the scenes of Serina's sickness on the DVD set made me really wish that they had left her scenes in the original movie. They were really something and very emotional. I thought that her regular death in Lost Planet was a tear-jerker (I still can't watch that episode without getting a bit teary-eyed) but if they had left her dying scenes in, that would have really put it over the top.

And I agree, Richard was a heck of an actor. I think I like him best when he disagrees with somethign and gets emotional. he shines when he acts. That deleted scene from the pilot when he confronts Adama is great!

shiningstar November 8th, 2003 06:39 PM

I agree Charybdis. I haven't gotten my dvd's yet but I'm
really looking forward to seeing the scenes I keep hearing so
much about.

Muffit November 8th, 2003 07:44 PM

Poor Shiningstar! Hope you get yours soon! You know what I'm watching tonight!!! :)

LucianG November 18th, 2003 04:03 AM

Has anyone noticed that when Starbuck enters the void to find Apollo, stars are visible during portions of their 180 degree turn and part of their return flight? The darkness combined with the magnetic anomoly caused Apollo to get lost, and when Starbuck turns them around, he said he was following the tip of his nose. If the darkness and void was only ahead and behind, it would have been simple for Apollo to fly laterally out of the void, and then make his way back to the Galactica, or he could have used some of those stars to get a bearing to fly back out in approximately the direction from which he'd come. Of course, depending on how far he'd traveled, that might have been tough, but it sure didn't seem all that long, especially when Starbuck was counting on the return trip.

Actually, I believe this may have been due to lack of money to rework the background and refilm so they probably reused other footage as they did in so many other scenes. It's possible it was just overlooked by the production team, or maybe they didn't know there would eventually be really picky BG fans watching their DVDs....

Domiano December 4th, 2003 05:47 AM

@LucianG The effects suffered due to lack of a budget. I saw several scenes that I could nitpick to death.

Anyone remember Colonel Tigh and Adama talking in Adama's Quarters? There is a little window behind Tigh and you can clearly see stars in the background when Tigh and Adama are talking. I thought a void meant total darkness too. They could have atleast put a black cloth over the window if they could not have changed the background set. Serina's death was a shock and I cried. Even today it touches me. Anyways, this being one of the longer episodes it was well done.

Muffit December 4th, 2003 01:54 PM

Welcome to Colonial FLeets, Domiano! :)

Domiano December 5th, 2003 07:11 AM

Thank you Muffit. I feel like I have a new home. I am so glad to see so many people still love BSG.

shiningstar January 5th, 2004 07:46 AM

Welcome to the family Domiano

ViperTech January 6th, 2004 01:05 AM

This was actually the first BG episode I ever saw. I missed the Movie orginailly. My friends were ranting and raving about this new show on TV, so I decided to watch the next week.

The first half of this episode is awesome.
I love Jane Seymour. She's so beautiful and her scenes with Hatch are great in this episode. Great banter!
The women warrior's are great and I love the scene when Rigel exclaims "Blue Squadron has launched!" followed by huge cheers on the bridge after the women-piloted Vipers launch. The action is fantastic and Adama's confrontation with Baltar is dramatic.

Starbuck's using the Centurion for a light of his Cigar while on Baltar's Basestar is hilarious.

I hate watching Serina die, so I don't like to watch this one over and over like some of others. Every time Boxey loses it in that final scene, I lose it, too. I was about Noah's age when the show was first run. Tough ending.

shiningstar January 6th, 2004 07:50 PM

I know that scene was a real tear jerker. Very well
acted.

originalsinner January 6th, 2004 09:23 PM

#

And this is why BSG is like family to me

shiningstar January 11th, 2004 06:46 PM

Me too original sinner me too

WARDAGGIT73 February 14th, 2004 11:43 AM

* to 4****

It has it's strong moments and weaker moments...

shiningstar February 21st, 2004 04:27 PM

I really liked this episode ...............:thumbsup:

launchcruiser7 March 18th, 2004 02:11 PM

in saga the cylon says that over 200 warriors are on carilon way then to peaple think there is only 75 vipers on battlestar you could fit 100 vipersw on alphav bay alone with the pegasus airwing on bourd there are 400 vipers in fleet in hand of god tigh says they have 150 vipers the rest?? cadets and lower class fighters assiened to fleet defense in experiment adama says they are leaving 2 sqrds to defend the fleet 150 planes 2 per shudle bay per ship in fleet esnien class or lower pilots long live battlestar hawkeye out :cylon: :cylon: :cylon: :popcorn: :girl: :confused: :salute: :warrior:

Antelope March 18th, 2004 05:16 PM

I don't know if they ever defined the word "warrior" in TOS. At a minimum I believe the word warrior implied not just viper pilots but other officers (Adama, Tigh, Omega, and Athena on the bridge are good examples). In addition it may be a generic military term like our use of soldier, sailor, or marine that could mean that every military person on the Galactica is a "warrior". Since Tigh was handing out uniforms to non-viper pilots in Saga of A Star World anything the cylons said relative to the number of warriors on Carillon is probably meaningless in trying to figure out how many pilots the Galactica had. Personally I thought "warrior" meant either specifically officers (most likely) or was a generic term for all colonial military people.