Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Last Battlestar......Galactica! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   So... (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5276)

Hito December 8th, 2003 02:38 PM

So...

Well tonights the night.
In a little over 4 hours I will have actually seen the new galactica and will finaly be able to make a real determination about the new show.

The one thing I know for certan it is that I am excited to see the work of 2 good friends realized on the small screen.
Cheers to Titon and Gakchat!

thomas7g December 8th, 2003 02:58 PM

HIIIIITTTOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Goood to see you again!!!!!! How have you been!?

dah66 December 8th, 2003 03:00 PM

Hito,

Welcome back.

Dave

thomas7g December 8th, 2003 03:41 PM

Please don't fade away Hito! I really could use your wisdom and advice.

So please stick around!
:wings:

Muffit December 8th, 2003 04:16 PM

Hello Hito! Long time no hear from...

:muffit:

amberstar December 8th, 2003 04:29 PM

Good to see you again Hito!

Yes, tonight is the night. If we can make it through this well I guess we can make it through just about anything Sci Fi does.

;)

Amber

Titon December 8th, 2003 04:35 PM

DUDE!

Welcome back! It's good to see you. As Tom says stick around we could use a good friend back in action around here.

And thanks!

Don

:)

Stevew December 8th, 2003 05:57 PM

Hito good to have an iron fisted dictator back
S:D

Belloby December 8th, 2003 07:03 PM

Hito,

Welcome back. And I really gotta say, I love that avatar.

Hito December 9th, 2003 01:10 AM

Okee.
First night is over.

I have to say first that Zoic pulled off somthing special with this piece.
They have taken there Firefly work and raised the bar to a new level.
I loved every scene set in space.
The battles were MAD AWESOME!
From the realistic manuvers to the missles with corkscrewing chemtrails.
The manuvering thrusters were such an incredible addition.
They managed to achieve a sence of scale for the galactica that i didnt think they could with so little surface detailing.
I got the feeling i was really watching documentary footage .

The camera work was great in the first scene as Kasa did her laps through the ship.
Almost ER-like in it's movement. But then they just went to standard sci-fi angles just more shaky.

The Apollo/Adama relationship & Tigh ark were poorly handled.
With another night i am sure they would have been able to explore them a lot better.

I am happy that the sex was toned way back.
Leaving only the red spine diary scene.

Ack December 9th, 2003 01:27 AM

Wow I thought I was the only one who liked the show. I liked that part where apollo spins his ship around to shoot the missile. A manuever only a spaceship could do. Most movies and shows have fighters handling almost exactly like airplanes. Banking turns and split S's to loose enemies. Finally a fighter just rotates around on its axis to fire behind it while inertia (or is that momentum) carries it on its course at the same velocity. Sweet!

Spectre December 9th, 2003 01:51 AM

As I pointed out in my post.... :) On a positive note...

"Lets hit some high points, shall we???

1. Newtonian space physics (action-reaction) The fact that we finally have ships and fighters that DON'T fly like aircraft in space is a welcome departure.

2. The crews and ship have a realistic-type functionality. Ground-crews wear high-vis, flame retarding uniforms, the pilots wear G-suits to counter the effects of high-G load manuvering, and their helmets actually FIT and are PRESSURIZED !!!! Compared to the first series, the uniforms are a MAJOR leap in functionality and style. Also, the ship seems very much arranged like a modern naval vessel. Quite unlike the ships of yore.

3. Thermonuclear weapons...enough said.

4. Boomer is cool, and hot.

5. Having the Raptor as an AWACS-type ship is a novel concept for space combat. I like the idea of a command and control type vessel that guides the fighters.

6. No "TURBO" button on a stick with ONLY three buttons. The cockpits are VERY clean and high tech in this go-around. Quite unlike the uber-cheese cockpits of the original.

7. Baltar is a fall-guy and NOT some yammering / crazed villian. He had a very human weakness, and it was his downfall. Quite Greek-Tragedy, don't you think ???

8. Adama isn't like Loren Greene, however he is a stern and complex man, I respect that. Olmos reminds me of one of my former Commanding Officers."

Micheleh December 9th, 2003 01:51 AM

Actually, the rotating axis fighter technique was already done- and far better- in Richard's Great War of Magellan trailer.

Hito December 9th, 2003 02:09 AM

I am already geting the feeling that my thoughts about the mini are still not really welcome and i dont want to get caught up in another wave of strife, so I wont say anything more about it except to again congradulate the people I know who contributed to it.

Thanks tho for the warm welcomes back.
I have missed it here.

thomas7g December 9th, 2003 02:17 AM

oh come on!!!! speak up!:D

thomas7g December 9th, 2003 02:18 AM

I know you liked it! Nothing wrong with that :D

The 14th Colony December 9th, 2003 01:07 PM

So, is it okay for an old show purist who has despised the concept of BG2003 for the last year, only wanting a continuation with the same actors, to admit that he watched the 1st half of the mini and intends to watch the 2nd part as well, out of curiosity?:halo:

jonahlee December 9th, 2003 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Spectre
As I pointed out in my post.... :) On a positive note...

"Lets hit some high points, shall we???

1. Newtonian space physics (action-reaction) The fact that we finally have ships and fighters that DON'T fly like aircraft in space is a welcome departure.
Yes this was very cool. The Mark 2 Vipers were cool, and that they moved correctly in space was very welcome. And the atmostphere blowing out when a viper departed was cool
Quote:

Originally posted by Spectre
2. The crews and ship have a realistic-type functionality. Ground-crews wear high-vis, flame retarding uniforms, the pilots wear G-suits to counter the effects of high-G load manuvering, and their helmets actually FIT and are PRESSURIZED !!!! Compared to the first series, the uniforms are a MAJOR leap in functionality and style. Also, the ship seems very much arranged like a modern naval vessel. Quite unlike the ships of yore.
I liked the addition of the ground crews a lot, though the white flight deck was ridiculous. And I actually liked the old helmets better. it always seemed to me that they had some sort of force field that held atmosphere in the landing bays and helmets, since the bays just seemed to be open to space, yet you could walk aroudn in there.
Quote:

4. Boomer is cool, and hot.
I will give you that one, though she is nothing like the old Boomer at all. And while the crew seems more multi-racial there seem to be less black people on the Galactica than there used to be.

Quote:

5. Having the Raptor as an AWACS-type ship is a novel concept for space combat. I like the idea of a command and control type vessel that guides the fighters.
I did like this concept, it made a lot of sense, though obviously it won't do well against the cyclons with all it's computers so I am sure we will see Boomer in a Viper.

Quote:

6. No "TURBO" button on a stick with ONLY three buttons. The cockpits are VERY clean and high tech in this go-around. Quite unlike the uber-cheese cockpits of the original.
I was fine with the old cockpits, though the new ones are nice.

Quote:

7. Baltar is a fall-guy and NOT some yammering / crazed villian. He had a very human weakness, and it was his downfall. Quite Greek-Tragedy, don't you think ???
Actually I think I like the old Baltar better. At least he was concious of how evil he was being, instead of just doing it for sex.

Quote:

8. Adama isn't like Loren Greene, however he is a stern and complex man, I respect that. Olmos reminds me of one of my former Commanding Officers."
Actually it seemed to me that Adama was more like Commander Kain than like Adama. While Adama was a good military commander, he was also president of the council, and a spiritual leader as well. This Adama is all military.

dilbertman December 9th, 2003 05:22 PM

Where are my posts?

I posted replys to Micheleh's and Spectre's post this morning, but now both are gone. What happen, did I do or say something I should not have?

Jim:confused:

Starbuck December 9th, 2003 05:38 PM

PM conundrum7g. He was moving around posts earlier putting them in their respective "pro" and "con" mini forums. :girl:

thomas7g December 9th, 2003 06:20 PM

oh frack oh frack oh frack!!!!!!

I was moving threads around. There SHOULD be two threads like this. One with all the posts in the anti-mini forum, and this thread in the pro with just the positive posts.

frack frack frack!!!!

all i can think of is in the move and the split and merged togehter threads something must have gotten overwritten. I had multiple threads with the same name, and had a complicatioin with starbucks post while I was moving threads. I might have merged the wrong threads on top of the wrong ones... :(

I am really sorry. I think I musta lost alot of posts... :(

thomas7g December 9th, 2003 06:24 PM

To anyone else who had a post erase I am really sorry. :(

i can't do much to make up for it, but I can offer a new screen cap avatar if they would like one. I got the bg dvds now. So if you want a scene as your avatar, I promise to make an avatar and really make it look good. :)