Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
(http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   BG-02: Lost Planet Of The Gods (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7787)

kingfish December 23rd, 2004 08:50 AM

Sadly the only two telemovies available in the USA are Conquest of Earth and Mission Galactica. I wish they would put all of the telemovies out on dvd.


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8.../bannerpl2.jpg

SpyOne March 13th, 2005 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CmdrCain
...although it still seems odd that Adama would believe that the answer to the location of the 13th tribe would be found in an ancient pyramid. It would seem more logical to look for that information in the ruins of an old spaceport or a command-and-control facility.

I imagine you've learned this elsewhere by now, but just in case (and for newcomers to this thread), I thought I'd answer that for you:

I believe Adama says that the tomb in question is that of the "Ninth Lord of Kobol", and that he was the last ruler of Kobol.
Thus, that tomb is the most modern building on the planet, as it is probably the last thing that was built before folks left.

As for why it all looked so ruin-y, remember that the Colonies have been at war for 1000 years with the Cylons, and their exodus from Kobol was considerably before that. Imagine what Earth would look like if we all moved out for over a dozen centuries.
:)

martok2112 April 19th, 2005 05:32 AM

An excellent episode, with a tear jerker of an ending. And no I am not being facetious, because I tell you truthfully, I CRIED at the end of it.

Beautiful acting between Richard Hatch, Jane Seymour, and Noah Hathaway.

A gem of an episode.

Respectfully,
Martok2112

Haveke May 4th, 2005 01:06 AM

The Lost Planet Of The Gods Pt. I & II
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by martok2112
An excellent episode, with a tear jerker of an ending. And no I am not being facetious, because I tell you truthfully, I CRIED at the end of it.

Beautiful acting between Richard Hatch, Jane Seymour, and Noah Hathaway.

A gem of an episode.

Respectfully,
Martok2112

Hey, I Spent Over a Decade Trying to Find That Episode Of Battlestar Galactia... Last Year, I Was Able to Aquire it On e-Bay for a VERY Reasonible Price if I Might Say So. :) :salute:

And Yes, I Still Shed Tears Myself at the Great Loss Apollo is Faced With. Losing the Great Love Of His Life: Serina...


Those Two Episodes Where What Set Battlestar Galactia Apart from the Other Scfi Shows During that time... If ONLY The Big Wigs Over at ABC Would've Kept them in their Orginal Time slot, Perhaps We Would've Seen a Much Different Ending ... Maybe even Had Some Sort of Closure on the Series...

Now, Here Something I Have always thought: Baltar's Legs Were Basically Crushed When the Tomb Started to Collapse... After the Colonial Warriors Drove Back the Cylons & the Fleet Made Good their Escape... I Figure the Cylons Found Baltar & Had to "Repair" Him... Anyone Besides Me Ever Notice How Baltar Always Seemed to Wear Those Green Leather Gloves All the Time...(Personally, If I Were Adama... I Would've Shot Baltar) and When He Would Leave His Throne... he Walked More Like a Cylon Centorian. :rolleyes:

I'm Trying to See About Picking Up the Battlestar Galactia Series On DVD... After I Finish Up With All my Posts & Replies, Got to Double Check My Bills, and then See Where I Can Go From There... ;)

:warrior: :warrior: :colonial: :thumbsup:

Haveke May 4th, 2005 01:17 AM

Good Question--- I Have Another Question Too...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfish
Sadly the only two telemovies available in the USA are Conquest of Earth and Mission Galactica. I wish they would put all of the telemovies out on dvd.


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8.../bannerpl2.jpg

I was Wondering If There is a Way to Upload an Image to the Forums, But the Image is on My Computer, Not on a Website... I've Collected So MANY Great Battelstar Galactia Images Over these Past Years, I've LOST Track of Where Most of 'em Came From.

If Anyone Can Please Assist Me With This Procedure, Then I'll Try & Put Together a Little Galactia Humor "Haveke" Style...

As far as Telemovies Go, I guess You Could Kinda Call The Lost Planet Of The Gods Pt. I & II a Movie... :/:

My Best Advice Would Be To Just Keep Questing for the Brass Ring... Thats Kinda What I Had to do to Finally Locate My Copy Of The Lost Planet Of The Gods. :salute:

:warrior: :warrior: :colonial:

Always Stay With Your Wingman...

martok2112 May 4th, 2005 02:10 AM

With my new computer, I intend on burning Mission Galactica: The Cylon Attack, and Conquest of the Earth to DVD. :)

Respectfully,
Martok2112 :salute: :Nsalute:

SpyOne May 4th, 2005 02:13 AM

Sadly, step 1 would be to find someone to host it on the internet. For instace, my connection comes with 5mb of web page space. (I'm using mine, or i'd offer to help you store images.)
There are a bunch of free website places out there, but most of them prohibit linking directly to images (which is what you'd have to do to put it in a post).

Once you have the space to put them in, I can be helpful in the "just how do I move files from my computer to that website" part.

skippercollecto October 26th, 2005 11:49 AM

no cameras for history
 
It occurred to me this morning that the Colonials are not as "camera-obsessed" as we Earthlings are. Our technology regarding photographing and taping is far ahead of the Colonials, and must have been that way even 25 yahrens ago.
If it had been us on Kobol, at least several people would have had a video camera, or just a plain old film camera, and would have taken it with us when we went into the pyramids. It occurred to me that one of the Warriors, particularly Adama, who was so into history, should have taken some kind of recording machine with him so that he could study it later. And he'd have had time to get one or two shots of the directions to Earth before they were destroyed.
Mary

Senmut October 26th, 2005 10:58 PM

Yes, but recall that alot of electronic devices did not work inside the void. It may be that small portable scanners would not function down on Kobol.

AJMarks March 6th, 2006 05:38 PM

Well I just finished watching these two episodes again, and aside from the cute felmale warriors, Brie, Rigel, Athena, Serina, etc, I thought about the time that BSG was written, 1978. They were showing females in leading warrior positions and doing as well as a man (They just lacked full training). Even now our society is still trying to come to grips with females in the military and they wrote in the females piloting fighters and doing very well.

Lara March 7th, 2006 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJMarks
Well I just finished watching these two episodes again, and aside from the cute felmale warriors, Brie, Rigel, Athena, Serina, etc, I thought about the time that BSG was written, 1978. They were showing females in leading warrior positions and doing as well as a man (They just lacked full training). Even now our society is still trying to come to grips with females in the military and they wrote in the females piloting fighters and doing very well.

if you compare it to other network shows of the time it was light years ahead...I caught an ep of Quincy the other day and literally cringed when he told the female investigator from the CDC sent to track the origin of a food poisoning outbreak at a stadium that it was going to be a treat working with such a good looking girl and how did such a looker get a job with so much responsibility and she took it without so much as an eye roll...eehwww!!

(BTW the actress playing the investigator was the one who has subsequently played senior officers in Trek....she'd seen some changes!)

Cheers,
Lara

AJMarks March 8th, 2006 04:40 PM

One thing that I find interesting is that I've heard over and over again by TNS fans that TOS started every episode with a 'clean slate' so to speak. That's not exactly true, you see several of the female fighters from this episode launching in the next couple of episodes. Also in the next episide Baltar walks with a limp from an injury that he receives in this episode.

Eric Paddon March 8th, 2006 05:15 PM

Galactica was in fact the first regular sci-fi show to be mindful of what had happened previously since the first few episodes of "Lost In Space." The very idea of the continuing story arc in a sci-fi series started with TOS.

Another example is how one week after Apollo loses his wife in this episode, that fact is mentioned not once but *twice* in "The Lost Warrior." A giant step forward from the days of Star Trek when Kirk would "forget" all about his past week's romances without any Vulcan mind melds.

BST March 8th, 2006 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara
if you compare it to other network shows of the time it was light years ahead...I caught an ep of Quincy the other day and literally cringed when he told the female investigator from the CDC sent to track the origin of a food poisoning outbreak at a stadium that it was going to be a treat working with such a good looking girl and how did such a looker get a job with so much responsibility and she took it without so much as an eye roll...eehwww!!

(BTW the actress playing the investigator was the one who has subsequently played senior officers in Trek....she'd seen some changes!)

Cheers,
Lara


Lara,

Was the episode entitled "Deadly Arena" and was the actress, Diana Muldaur?


If so, she played Dr. Miranda Jones in the ST:TOS episode, "Is There In Truth No Beauty?" and she also played Dr. Kate Pulaski on ST:TNG, replacing Gates McFadden (and Dr. Crusher), for a year.

BST

BST March 8th, 2006 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
Galactica was in fact the first regular sci-fi show to be mindful of what had happened previously since the first few episodes of "Lost In Space." The very idea of the continuing story arc in a sci-fi series started with TOS.

Another example is how one week after Apollo loses his wife in this episode, that fact is mentioned not once but *twice* in "The Lost Warrior." A giant step forward from the days of Star Trek when Kirk would "forget" all about his past week's romances without any Vulcan mind melds.


Something to also consider is that prior to the very late '70's, nearly all television shows were episodic in nature. About the only shows that followed a somewhat rigid 'continuity' were the daytime soaps. Now, with the advent of prime-time soaps such as "Dallas", "Dynasty", "Falcon Crest", etc, as well as the various mini-series, serialized storytelling began to take off. Based on the rather high ratings that these shows garnered, it may be safe to say that folks preferred storytelling with an ongoing/continuing storyline.

Lara March 9th, 2006 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BST
Lara,

Was the episode entitled "Deadly Arena" and was the actress, Diana Muldaur?


If so, she played Dr. Miranda Jones in the ST:TOS episode, "Is There In Truth No Beauty?" and she also played Dr. Kate Pulaski on ST:TNG, replacing Gates McFadden (and Dr. Crusher), for a year.

BST

yes, spot on..

I didn't remember her name and couldn't recall if she'd played an 'admiral' as well as a Doctor or two!! Just remembered the look and teh voice from Trek

But then I'm hopeless with names, and only get to see the Quincy eps when I'm home sick..

Thanks,
Cheers,
Lara

bsg1fan1975 May 19th, 2006 11:16 AM

I thought the high point of this episode was how Apollo comforted Boxey after Serina died. It showed that we can feel pain and love for the loss of a fellow human at the same time.

October 25th, 2006 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
Galactica was in fact the first regular sci-fi show to be mindful of what had happened previously since the first few episodes of "Lost In Space." The very idea of the continuing story arc in a sci-fi series started with TOS.

Another example is how one week after Apollo loses his wife in this episode, that fact is mentioned not once but *twice* in "The Lost Warrior." A giant step forward from the days of Star Trek when Kirk would "forget" all about his past week's romances without any Vulcan mind melds.

paticularly when you consider how many 2 part episodes they did in the single season, it truly was the first sci-fi series that had something approaching a story arc, thus laying the groundwork for shows like B5.

skippercollecto April 23rd, 2009 09:37 AM

what is carbide
 
What is carbide? Is it carbon dioxide?
Years ago there was a company here on Earth called Union Carbide, but I don't know if it is even still in business.

Kronus April 23rd, 2009 10:06 AM

Re: what is carbide
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skippercollecto (Post 289379)
What is carbide? Is it carbon dioxide?
Years ago there was a company here on Earth called Union Carbide, but I don't know if it is even still in business.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbide
In chemistry, a carbide is a compound composed of carbon and a less electronegative element. Carbides can be generally classified by chemical bonding type as follows: salt-like, covalent compounds, interstitial compounds, and "intermediate" transition metal carbides. Examples include calcium carbide, silicon carbide, tungsten carbide (often called simply carbide), and cementite, each used in key industrial applications.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:04 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.11, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content and Graphics ©2000-Present Colonial Fleets