Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Galactica Cafe (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Recipie Swaps (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9966)

Lara March 27th, 2005 12:34 AM

Recipie Swaps

The ancient rules of hospitality say if you eat with someone they are your friend. The internet can't send food (yet??) so a recipie is the next best thing.
Over on whats for dinner thread we've had some delicious and totally evil recipies.
I thought I would start a new thread based on that, so here's one of my own fav recipies to kick it off.
It often gets requested as a birthday cake. Just note its in metric so a little conversion may be required.

Enjoy

Cheers,
Lara

Macadamia Mud Cake

Ingredients:
Cake:
180g dark cooking chocolate
150g unsalted butter
125g castor sugar
60g unsalted macadamias, chopped roughly
4 large eggs, separated
85g plain flour

Icing:
150g dark cooking chocolate
135g pure cream (at least 40% butterfat, no gelatine)
25g salted butter, cubed

A large heat proof mixing bowl that fits over a wide pan of boiling water works well
23cm round cake tin, preferably a springform pan
Additional butter to grease
Paper to line it
Cake rack

preheat oven to 190 degC

Method:
For the cake:
1. Break up the chocolate and melt.
2. Add the butter and stir well until all melted together and smooth. Retun mixing bowl to microwave or over the boiling water if required
3. Remove from the heat and stirr in the egg yolks one by one
4. Ad the sugar and the nuts
5. Beat the egg whites to a firm snow.
6. Fold in half the flour then half the egg whites, and repeat taking care not to deflate the mixture more than necessary.
7. Pour the mixture into the greased and lined cake tin, smoothing the top of the mixture off.
8. Bake for 35 mins. Centre will be moist but not sticky.
9. Turn out to cool on a cake rack. Do not ice until cool or icing will run off.

Prepare the icing:
1. Break up chocolate and melt
2. Remove from heat, add cream and stir until blended. NOTE: do not overheat or the cream will separate and become oily.
3. Stir in the butter, ensure the mixture is well blended and glossy
4. Let cool, until thick enough to be applied to the cold cake with a spatula. There is enough icing to coat the cake thickly on the top and the sides

Keeping the cake.
In a airtight container in a cool place. In warm weather it is necessary to keep the cake in the fridge to stop the icing becoming too soft, but it will make it dull.
It will keep for up to 5 days (if it lasts that long)

Variations:
Can be made in a rectangular tin, cut into single serves and individually iced.

gmd3d March 27th, 2005 02:42 AM

There goes the diet .. Hmmm cake
http://re2.mm-c.yimg.com/image/315720640

Flamingo Girl March 27th, 2005 09:02 AM

What is castor sugar?

Breea March 27th, 2005 11:50 AM

Lara,
This thread is great. I can't think of a better way then to exchange recipes. I love to fix this for breakfast. Sincw I don't have anybody much to cook for anymore I'll send all mine to you...Virtual cooking... Happy eating.
Breea

Baked Omelet

8 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
3 oz. diced ham
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
2 Tbsp. diced onion
1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 ich casserole dish and set aside. Beat milk and eggs together in a separate dish. Add salt, ham and cheeses. Pour into pan. Bake uncovered for 40 to 45 minutes.

Anybody for my recipe for Baked Spaghetti????

gmd3d March 27th, 2005 02:07 PM

Baked Omelet: Hmmm thats sounds great I will give that a go I love my chesse dishes :D .. I did not know you can bake spaghetti . :salute:

http://re2.mm-b.yimg.com/image/1480529132

gmd3d March 27th, 2005 02:08 PM

Castor suger:

Castor or caster sugar is the name of a very fine sugar in Britain, so named because the grains are small enough to fit though a sugar "caster" or sprinkler. It is sold as "superfine" sugar in the United States. Because of its fineness, it dissolves more quickly than regular white sugar, and so is especially useful in meringues and cold liquids. It is not as fine as confectioner’s sugar, which has been crushed mechanically (and generally mixed with a little starch to keep it from clumping).

If you don’t have any castor sugar on hand, you can make your own by grinding granulated sugar for a couple of minutes in a food processor

Gemini1999 March 27th, 2005 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taranis
I did not know you can bake spaghetti.

Taranis -

Actually, yes, you can bake spaghetti. The Italians do it quite often in a dish that's called a "Frittata" I've got a great recipe:

Frittata di Spaghetti

1 teaspoon olive oil
4 ounces prosciutto -- diced
6 large eggs
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh parsley -- chopped
2 cups cooked spaghetti
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese -- cubed
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup butter

In a frying pan saute the prosciutto in the 1 teaspoon of olive oil until crispy. Drain on brown paper. In a large bowl beat the eggs. Add the Parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper. Add the spaghetti, mix well, then stir in the mozzarella and prosciutto. In a 10 inch frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the spaghetti mixture and smooth the top with a spatula. Cook over medium low heat until the frittata is browned on the bottom and set. Place a plate larger than the frying pan over the pan and invert the frittata onto the plate. Heat the remaining olive oil and butter in the pan and return the frittata to the pan to brown the other side. Shake the pan occasionally to keep the frittata from sticking. Place a serving plate over the frittata and carefully invert pan to remove frittata. Serve at room temperature, cut in wedges.

The greatest thing about a frittata is that you can make it for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner. There's hundreds of variations for a frittata as well. As the Italians say: Delicioso!

Lara - I like this idea for sharing recipes....it's like the internet version of "breaking bread" with one another. Cooking is one of my great passions!

I've got a great recipe for some flawless (and effortless) Salmon Steaks...let me know if anyone's interested....

Best,
Bryan

Lara March 28th, 2005 01:55 AM

Woohoo I've started a successful thread!!
I love finding out what other real people eat and trying it for myself. The stuff in cookbooks is often so 'dinner party' and not 'dinner tonight'

Thanks Taranis for explaining the castor sugar to Flamingo Girl, I forgot it would be a foreign term to our eastern Pacific/Western Atlantic chums. I remember being stumped for months on what a 'stick' of butter was!!

I'm intrigued by Breea's Baked Spagettii, bring it on, girl :D :D

And Frittata for breakfast is one of lifes civilising pleasures for Sunday brunch. We often make it with rashers of bacon laid in the bottom of the pan so you get the bacon taste and a fancy presentation, too.
We have a great product here called pizza cheese which is shredded mozzerella with sharp cheddar mixed in. Its great for omelet and the like (ie for topping big baked jacket potatoes, or for cheese on toast) cause you can chuck it in by the handful and get that balance of stringy and sharp with no effort.

Yum Yum!

Cheers,
Lara

gmd3d March 28th, 2005 02:06 AM

Thanks Gemini for the "Frittata di Spaghetti" . My Girlfriend is intrested in the salmon steak she love fish dishes. :salute:
Lara: no prob :salute:

Breea March 28th, 2005 03:02 PM

Baked Spaghetti

1 (28 0z.) can drained tomatoes( undrained)
1 (4 oz.) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
1 ( 2 1/4 oz. ) can sliced ripe olives, drained
1 lb. ground chuck, browned and drained (optional)
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 Tbsp. butter or margerine
2 tsp. dried oregano
12 oz. spaghetti noodles,cooked and drained
2 cups (8 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup(undiluted)

In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, and oregano. Add ground meat if desired. Simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Place half of the spaghetti noodles in a greased 13x9x2 incg baking dish. Top with half of the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup of Cheddar cheese. Repeat layers. Mix the soup and water until smooth and pour over the top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through.
Serves 12

Enjoy,
Breea

Breea March 28th, 2005 03:09 PM

Sweet Potato Pie

2 cups sweet potatoes(fresh not canned)
2 cups sugar
1 cup self-rising flour
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp.salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp.butternut
1 stick margarine
Small amount of coconut or flavoring if preferred

Melt butter in pan you are going to cook in. Grease sides and corners well, Pour margarine in the ingredients and mix well. Pour in pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until brown.

Breea

Breea March 28th, 2005 11:32 PM

Lara,
Remind me never to come down under without my own measuring cups and spoons...LOL I'll never figure out how to do conversions from good old USA to metric before eeverything burns :D but it would be worth the try just to get the chance to meet you.
Breea

Gunstar Aries March 29th, 2005 03:18 AM

What a great idea!!

Oh, Lara, this is a GREAT idea!! :salute:

I'll throw this one down for starters:

Hawaiian coffee cake
Cake
2 large eggs
2/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
¼ cup butter
2 unbleached white flour
½ teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup crushed pineapple, well drained
1 cup flaked coconut

Topping
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup crushed pineapple, well drained

In a mixing bowl beat together eggs, pineapple juice and butter. Add flour, baking soda and baking powder; beat well. Stir in 1 cup crushed pineapple and flaked coconut. Spoon into an oiled and floured 9” round pan. Spread batter evenly.
Toss topping ingredients together and sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until firm to the touch. Cool on wire rack. Serves 6.

As a coffee cake, this one really doesn't work so well because it tends to be pretty moist. But it tastes great!!

From “Sweet and Sugar Free: An All-Natural, Fruit Sweetened Dessert Cookbook” by Karen E. Barkie, St. Martin’s Press, 1982, a book I highly recommend....

I'll put some more up later...

Stay hungry,

G A

bsg1fan1975 March 29th, 2005 11:58 AM

okay heres one that I recently made.

Sinfully Chocolate

2 pkgs. chocolate pudding (instant or cooked, i use instant)
devil's food cake mix
cool whip or frozen whipped topping
toffee bar bits

make cake and bake as directed. set aside to cool when fully baked. make pudding as directed and chill in refrigerator till ready to be used. Dethaw whipped topping on counter or in fridge the night before.

Assembly in bowl:

layer 1: cake

layer 2: pudding

layer 3: whipped topping

layer 4: toffee bits

repeat the layers till all ingredients have been used. Tthis dessert can be made the night before you serve it or the morning of!

Lara March 29th, 2005 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunstar Aries
Hawaiian coffee cake
Cake
2 large eggs
2/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
¼ cup butter
2 unbleached white flour
½ teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup crushed pineapple, well drained
1 cup flaked coconut

G A

hey Gunstar,
I love pineapple and coconut as a combo in cakes

What's the correct measure of flour in the cake bit? (its missing in your post)

Cheers,
Lara

Gemini1999 March 29th, 2005 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara
hey Gunstar,
I love pineapple and coconut as a combo in cakes

What's the correct measure of flour in the cake bit? (its missing in your post)

Cheers,
Lara

Lara -

Just guessing, but from a bloke that knows his way round a kitchen, I would say that the measurement is 2 cups....

We'll wait for proper confirmation of course!

Best,
Bryan

Lara March 29th, 2005 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breea
Lara,
Remind me never to come down under without my own measuring cups and spoons...LOL I'll never figure out how to do conversions from good old USA to metric before eeverything burns :D but it would be worth the try just to get the chance to meet you.
Breea

Hi Breea,
A fellow food lover is always welcome at my table!!

I agree conversion on Aus (metric) to US can be a pain. It gets worse if you consider the British have a slightly different system as well., so all my mothers old recipies needed rejigging.

My husband and I work a lot of US recipies, so we fixed it by weighing out water on the scales and marking the level in a steel jug by scratching it with a sharp nail. This works because water weighs the same as its volume in metric: so 236ml of water weighs 236 gram, and thats a US cup measure!! I leave converting lbs & oz to gm & Kg to the electronic scales.

We do have one unit of measure in common: An american teaspoon is the same as an aus one, ie 5mls
but american tablespoon is 15ml (3tsp) whereas an aus one is 20ml (4 tsp)
An Aus cup is 250 ml, and an US cup is 8floz which is 236ml

So a spoonful of sugar over here is a sweeter mouthful, and your cup runneth over if I lend you a cup of sugar :D :D

I'll have to look for a good conversion site, and post the url

Cheers,
Lara

Breea March 29th, 2005 10:59 PM

Lara,
I got a better idea. I'll send YOU a care package with the spoons and cups.Complete with some good old cookbooks....LOL
Breea :D ;)

Breea March 29th, 2005 11:08 PM

Cheeseburger Pie

1 lb. ground chuck or beef
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Bisquick original baking mix
1 cup milk
2 eggs

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9 inch pie plate. Cook ground meat and onion until meat is brown. Stir in salt. Spread in pie plate; sprinkle with cheese.
Stir remaining ingredients with fork until blended. Pour over meat. Bake for 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serves 6..

I may not know alot of things but one thing is for certain... They'd never starve with me on BSG...LOL

gmd3d March 29th, 2005 11:23 PM

Quote:

They'd never starve with me on BSG
No chance all the dishes look great .. can't wait to start one :thumbsup:

Breea March 30th, 2005 06:26 PM

BBQ Ribs

2 1/2 to 3 lbs. ribs
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic,minced
1 Tbsp. cooking oil
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
@ Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. mustard
1/2 tsp. celery seed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place ribs in shallow pan.... mix all ingredients together and pour over ribs and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

You can also cook these in a crock pot. Follow your cooking directions for your own crock pot.
Breea

bsg1fan1975 March 31st, 2005 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini1999
Taranis -

Actually, yes, you can bake spaghetti. The Italians do it quite often in a dish that's called a "Frittata" I've got a great recipe:

Frittata di Spaghetti

1 teaspoon olive oil
4 ounces prosciutto -- diced
6 large eggs
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh parsley -- chopped
2 cups cooked spaghetti
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese -- cubed
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup butter

In a frying pan saute the prosciutto in the 1 teaspoon of olive oil until crispy. Drain on brown paper. In a large bowl beat the eggs. Add the Parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper. Add the spaghetti, mix well, then stir in the mozzarella and prosciutto. In a 10 inch frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the spaghetti mixture and smooth the top with a spatula. Cook over medium low heat until the frittata is browned on the bottom and set. Place a plate larger than the frying pan over the pan and invert the frittata onto the plate. Heat the remaining olive oil and butter in the pan and return the frittata to the pan to brown the other side. Shake the pan occasionally to keep the frittata from sticking. Place a serving plate over the frittata and carefully invert pan to remove frittata. Serve at room temperature, cut in wedges.

The greatest thing about a frittata is that you can make it for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner. There's hundreds of variations for a frittata as well. As the Italians say: Delicioso!

Lara - I like this idea for sharing recipes....it's like the internet version of "breaking bread" with one another. Cooking is one of my great passions!

I've got a great recipe for some flawless (and effortless) Salmon Steaks...let me know if anyone's interested....

Best,
Bryan

My step grandmother used to make baked spagehetti but she called it sapgehetti casserole!

Gunstar Aries April 17th, 2005 03:33 PM

Back, finally

Finally a chance to get back into this thread!

Lara,

Gemini is correct; the measure should be 2 cups for the hawaiian coffee cake.

Give it a try and let me know what you think...

Since the warm weather is approaching us in the northern lattitudes, here are a couple of cool recipes:

Pistachio Jello

2 boxes sugar free Pistachio pudding
2 – 15oz. Cans crushed pineapple, in juice (not syrup)
2 Cups small marshmallows
1 – 16oz or 2 – 8oz cartons of cool whip

Mix pistachio pudding mix with pineapples, juice and all. Mix in marshmallows. Mix in Cool Whip. Refrigerate.

A pretty unique taste, in my opinion. Got the recipe from my cousin.

Shelley’s Peanut Butter Pie

Graham cracker crust
1/3 cup Peanut Butter
3 oz. Cream Cheese – softened
1 cup powdered sugar
½ cup milk
8 oz. Cool Whip – thaw a little

Mix all except cool whip with mixer
Fold in Cool Whip – put mixture into crust
Put in Freezer…Yum!
This one is from one of my coworkers. The "...Yum!" is from her original recipe.

And since it's fall in the southern lattitudes, here's a couple for Lara!

Apple Raisin Coffee cake

Cake:
3 Large eggs
2/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
¼ cup butter, softened
2 cups unbleached white flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¾ raisins
2 cups raisins

Topping
1 cup apple, peeled cored and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Cinnamon

In a mixing bowl combine eggs, apple juice, and butter, and beat well. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices. Mix thoroughly and stir in raisins and apples. Sppon into an oiled and floured round 9” x 1 ½ “ baking pan and spread batter evenly in pan. (Batter will fill the pan upon baking, so use less batter if substituting a shallower or smaller pan.)
Toss topping ingredients together in a small bowl. Arrange apple slices over batter in an attractive pattern. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until browned and a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Serves 6.

This one makes a much better coffee cake than the Hawaiian, Lara. Dry as a bone when I make it...
:)

and finally, one of my favorite dishes when the weather cools off, Pastina Soup.

Pastina Soup

1 lb Pastina nooldles (orzo or pepe de acomo will also work)

1 Roast (2-4 lbs)

¼ onion, sliced

1 can of Tomato Puree (29 oz)

1 handful (¼ - ½ cup) Celery leaves, torn into small pieces (halves or quarters)

2 large pots

In first pot, add water until roast is completely covered, add onion and celery leaves, bring to boil, simmer for 2 hours, covered. Remove roast from water, cut and break up into small bite-sized pieces, removing fat if desired.

In second pot, bring pastina noodles to boil, boil 5 minutes, drain.

Return meat to original water, add can of tomato puree,+ 1 can full of water, and cooked pastina noodles. Simmer for ½ an hour, stirring occasionally.

Serve hot, salt and pepper to taste.

Stay hungry,

G A