Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Merchandise & Memorabilia (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Cubits? (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16249)

Sarika October 26th, 2008 10:41 PM

Cubits?

Where can I get cubits from?

My little nephew is very keen to have some, so, 'ole Aunty Sarika would like to buy some for him for either his nova yahren next month or Xmas.

:salute:

(when I say 'ole, I don't mean old...of course...I meant trusty, dependable...:D:LOL:)

BST October 27th, 2008 05:29 AM

Re: Cubits?

Check this -- http://www.battlestargalactica.org/c...c/cubits.shtml

:)

Hope that helps, Granny Sarika.

:eek:

Uh, I'll be going....

....NOW!!

Sarika October 27th, 2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BST (Post 278435)
Check this -- http://www.battlestargalactica.org/c...c/cubits.shtml

Hope that helps, Granny Sarika.

:eek:

Uh, I'll be going....

....NOW!!

I'm not sure whether to thank you or thwack you...(:D:LOL::duck:), in regards to that little remark of yours BST....:rolleyes:

Anyhoo, thanks for the link.
Don't mind knowing of any other sources to buy cubits too if there are any others.;)

KamikazeAthena October 28th, 2008 07:46 AM

Hey sis! Yeah, I know. I owe you a letter. I also owe Erik a phone call. My life is insane and my friends are going to kill me. sigh!

ANYWAY! Check ebay because they appear on there every now and then. The price on BST's link is good if those are metal ones, which I believe they are. Quite a good price in fact.

Sarika October 28th, 2008 10:00 PM

(Smacks her head:blush::duck:)
Now why didn't I realise that? Thanks sis! I shall do that.

Yeah, I might just send the boys around if you don't start answering your mail!!!!(kidding:LOL:...but not about the boys...:D:rotf::naughty:)

Thanks hon!:salute::muffit:
(Hope all is well in your world?)

monolith21 November 2nd, 2008 01:54 AM

How much do you love your nephew?

http://www.thegoldencloset.com/merch...Category_Code=

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarika (Post 278430)
Where can I get cubits from?

My little nephew is very keen to have some, so, 'ole Aunty Sarika would like to buy some for him for either his nova yahren next month or Xmas.

:salute:

(when I say 'ole, I don't mean old...of course...I meant trusty, dependable...:D:LOL:)

monolith21 November 2nd, 2008 01:05 AM

Or...

http://www.intergalactictrading.com/...m?pid=BGMI01/F

Or...

http://www.newmoonprops.com/BattlestarGalactica.htm

I wouldn't go with the New Moon cast of the blaster though. The details are soft and the some are missing. A buddy of mine got one as a convention basher. A wilco version cast in black resin will cost you about the same. New Moon has a shaky rep in the prop circles. Even so I did order some cubits from them a while back. They're about as good as some of the other castings out there on ebay and what not. That isn't saying much though since almost everything available these days is undersized (copies of copies and so on) with poor details.

Those Golden Closet ones may or may not be the real deal...but they certainly look the part and they're probably your best bet. I've got some of them as well and they look amazing!

Sarika November 2nd, 2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith21 (Post 278498)

If I were a millionaire, I'd not bat an eyelid...however, though I love him lots, I shall have to digress on those beautiful authentic prop cubits (i'm drooling over them myself...:drool::D:LOL:)and go for something more in my price range. Nice to see that link though. Thanks Mark!;):salute:

Sarika November 2nd, 2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith21 (Post 278499)
Or...

http://www.intergalactictrading.com/...m?pid=BGMI01/F

Or...

http://www.newmoonprops.com/BattlestarGalactica.htm

I wouldn't go with the New Moon cast of the blaster though. The details are soft and the some are missing. A buddy of mine got one as a convention basher. A wilco version cast in black resin will cost you about the same. New Moon has a shaky rep in the prop circles. Even so I did order some cubits from them a while back. They're about as good as some of the other castings out there on ebay and what not. That isn't saying much though since almost everything available these days is undersized (copies of copies and so on) with poor details.

Those Golden Closet ones may or may not be the real deal...but they certainly look the part and they're probably your best bet. I've got some of them as well and they look amazing!

Hmmm, both sites have good loking cubits....now I'm just confused. I think I'll check ebay, as I already have an account there. Thanks though Mark, it's nice to know what is out there.:salute:

Reaper63 November 3rd, 2008 05:03 PM

I have several of the New Moon Props Cubits in Resin (not sure how their metal ones are) but I'm happy with the resin ones. In fact, I'll probably order some more soon. This is not to say all their stuff is worth it. In fact, most is not.

They are known to be recasters of other people's work. I see they just added a Languatron to their catalog. It looks to be an exact cast of the kit I got from Wilco Models.

monolith21 November 4th, 2008 07:16 PM

I wasn't aware that Wilco had a Languatron kit! Do you have any links on where to find their stuff? All I know of is cult tv man.

Agreed on the new moon cubits. They took a while but communication was good and they sent me some "recharge cylinders" for my trouble. I have the metal ones. Adds some weight but it is only pot metal. Not a bad way to get a slew of cubits for pretty cheap. They look almost as good as the ones on ebay all the time. Not quite as shiny.

Reaper November 5th, 2008 06:58 AM

Wilco is in Ebay from time to time, but they only offer up the TOS laser (and some New stuff) Name is WilcoModels

I've been dealing witht hem for a long time. I've gotten alot of Star Wars Stuff from them over the years. (they offer all 4 Han Solo Blasters in resin, very nice stuff!!!)

I currently have one of their TOS lasers and recharge cylinders. The Languatron is solid Resin with seperately cast keys to paint and put into the unit. And there is no graphic to put in to the screen area. the "LEDs" are also resin cast. but it's overall not a bad kit.

Sarika November 5th, 2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith21 (Post 278534)
I wasn't aware that Wilco had a Languatron kit! Do you have any links on where to find their stuff? All I know of is cult tv man.

Agreed on the new moon cubits. They took a while but communication was good and they sent me some "recharge cylinders" for my trouble. I have the metal ones. Adds some weight but it is only pot metal. Not a bad way to get a slew of cubits for pretty cheap. They look almost as good as the ones on ebay all the time. Not quite as shiny.

When you say a slew of cubits, Mark, how many did you buy of them?

Athene November 10th, 2008 09:39 AM

I'd be interested in seeing that. Are they made of real gold? *just teasing*:D

monolith21 November 12th, 2008 01:16 AM

Yeah, by a "slew" I mean about twenty. I've got about seven screen used (who knows if they really are screen used, but they are the best I've ever seen!) and a few other random cubits from various sources. The Starbase Atlanta cubits have the same overall look as the New Moon ones. The new moon cubits are probably cast from them. Thats okay though because the Starbase Atlanta cubits are obviously recasts from somewhere else. The Starbase ones have a better and much shinier paint job. They also clang a bit better.

I'd love to get an "A" cubit made up in the same way that military challenge coins are made. Some fans of that other show had some of their cubits made up that look pretty good!

dilbertman November 12th, 2008 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith21 (Post 278742)
Yeah, by a "slew" I mean about twenty. I've got about seven screen used (who knows if they really are screen used, but they are the best I've ever seen!) and a few other random cubits from various sources. The Starbase Atlanta cubits have the same overall look as the New Moon ones. The new moon cubits are probably cast from them. Thats okay though because the Starbase Atlanta cubits are obviously recasts from somewhere else. The Starbase ones have a better and much shinier paint job. They also clang a bit better.

I'd love to get an "A" cubit made up in the same way that military challenge coins are made. Some fans of that other show had some of their cubits made up that look pretty good!

Has a image of a "A" cubit ever been posted online? Would love to see what it looks like.

Jim:?:

monolith21 November 13th, 2008 01:04 AM

I think its just a myth. Thats why it would be so much fun to have one made up!

Reaper November 13th, 2008 07:50 AM

having challenge coins minted isn't too expensive, a few of the Star Wars groups I've been in have done it, it usually comes out to about $5 to $15 a coin. Definately not bad.

Just not sure what a cubit shaped "coin" would cost.

Athene November 13th, 2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilbertman (Post 278758)
Has a image of a "A" cubit ever been posted online? Would love to see what it looks like.

Jim:?:

Good question. :salute:
Gonna find out.

Athene November 13th, 2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper (Post 278767)
having challenge coins minted isn't too expensive, a few of the Star Wars groups I've been in have done it, it usually comes out to about $5 to $15 a coin. Definately not bad.

Just not sure what a cubit shaped "coin" would cost.

I think probably about as much as the coins you mentioned. I also think it's a great idea to have those made up.;)

monolith21 November 13th, 2008 07:30 PM

Nice! I had no bites on the prop board. Shoulda known this was the place! I'll get in contact with some of the guys over at ASAP that had the Gino cubits made up and see who he had them done through.

I'm no good at designing them though. Not even sure what they would want them designed in! I think that the more people we get on board the cheaper they will become. We could do them in sets of two I suppose. Whatcha think?

Reaper November 13th, 2008 07:34 PM

I like the idea, and agree,t he more we get, the cheaper they are per coin.

The one thing about Challenge coins, is one side usually denotes the group who had them minted.

Say having the "A" design on one side sn then, for exapmple, the COlonial Fleet slogo on the other.

but no matter what, I'm in.

monolith21 November 14th, 2008 12:22 AM

If we kept with the originals, they would have the Galactica patch design on the reverse side. It would be whatever we wanted it though. It would be cool to work in a tell of some sort to say that it originated with fleets. Something hidden.

Athene November 17th, 2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith21 (Post 278787)
If we kept with the originals, they would have the Galactica patch design on the reverse side. It would be whatever we wanted it though. It would be cool to work in a tell of some sort to say that it originated with fleets. Something hidden.

I like that idea.:salute:

monolith21 January 19th, 2009 11:39 PM

I still haven't given up on this...but I don't know how to go about getting the plans drawn up.

Mieal Deneb February 28th, 2009 06:22 PM

Can you check with people on RPF or perhaps the 501st or Rebel Legion that have had challenge coins made up? They might be able to point you in the correct direction.

monolith21 February 28th, 2009 07:30 PM

I was thinking of contacting Mara Jade's Father over at ASAP. He had some good luck with his reproductions. Could work out nice!

Mieal Deneb February 28th, 2009 07:41 PM

I completely forgot about Frank, he'd be a good one to ask, I'm sure. :thumbsup: Let us know how it turns out.