Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Costuming Guild (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Colonial Service rank and grade indicators wanted! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17480)

Colonel Archon May 4th, 2010 08:08 PM

Colonial Service rank and grade indicators wanted!

In order to have some consistency in the ranks and guarantee that none of us accidentally decorates a captain's uniform with a COLONEL'S grade indicators, I believe someone should invest a centon or two in posting the system by which Colonial Warriors know who is superior to whom.

How, say, the decorations on Lieutenant Starbuck's uniform indicate that Flight Sergeants Jolly and Greenbean are his subordinates, how they indicate that Apollo is a captain and his superior, or how they indicate that Boomer is a lieutenant like himself.

Similarly, it should indicate how Rigel, Omega, Tigh, and Adama keep track of each other's grades as far as their bridge officers's duties go.

When I construct the bridge officers's uniforms I plan to wear as Archon, late lieutenant in the Pegasus's crew and now colonel in the Galactica's crew, I don't want to commit any grade-indicator errors if I can possibly avoid it.

In the names of the Lords Of Kobol, PLEASE help me with this; whoever does will have my advance thanks! I know for a fact, and I swear on the Book Of The Word, that I am NOT the only one with that concern!

monolith21 May 5th, 2010 12:12 PM

Re: Colonial Service rank and grade indicators wanted!

There was a patch and pin thread around somewhere that was very helpful. We had to really dive into the rank system over at Blackstar. There weren't a whole lot of indicators on the show. Lower ranks or enlisted seemed to wear one pin centered. Then one graduated to two pins. At a certain rank one went to the blue uniform with one pin, then two, and then there is usually some distinguishing feature for Commanders. A lot is left to interpretation.

Reaper October 12th, 2010 06:13 AM

sorry I missed this thread when it was made.

As monolith has said, there wasn't alot of evidence seen in the series on how to distiguish ranks. In fact, Starbuck, Apollo and Boomer all had identical costumes. There was no distinction between any of them to show that Apollo was a Captain. And if I remember correctly, Jolly, even though he was a Flight Sgt at the time, also wore the same uniform as Boomer. , no distinguishing marks between the 2 staring actors. (Jolly was later promoted to Lt, when the show realized that Flight Sgt wasn't a pilot's Rank)

The use of one or two Insignia Pins Or in some cases no pin is the only way to indicate either lower ranks or higher ranks. So, even though you intend for your character to be a Full Colonel on the Galactica, he would have the same insignia (and lack of patch) as your Pegasus Lt. (The only Blue uniformed actort to ever wear a patch was Tolen. no other blue costume wore a patch) It would be the same costume.

Hope that helps.

monolith21 October 12th, 2010 03:28 PM

There is also the gold stripe above the collar braid which isn't present on lower ranks. Though I'm sure this was more of a production call than a rank indication.

Reaper October 13th, 2010 07:23 AM

I think the lack of a Gold stripe was more on the background characters then a rank issue. Since if you're standing behind the action, no one might notice.

monolith21 October 14th, 2010 01:34 AM

True. It doesn't reach out and grab the eye when it isn't there. Like you said, Serina's uniform lacks the gold and it is not the first thing that people notice.

Charybdis October 18th, 2010 09:40 AM

Yeah, but Sarah Rush's costume does have the gold braid and she is a Flt. Sgt. However, since she is the main person responsible for launching all craft, she might get a gold stripe...

Harnessworks February 1st, 2011 07:33 AM

:salute: Hi Everyone! I've been reading the postings on here for a couple of months while looking for boots for my uniform. However, I've been a fan for years and working on a viper pilot jacket pattern. I'm a seamstress and leather worker.

Our Viper Jacket Pattern is COMPLETE!!! I have compared it against the guidelines I found last night on the Blackstar Squadron website and it meets all of the criteria listed there.

I'm going to be making a bunch of jackets over the next few months for a con we are going to in April. During that time we are also going to make photo directions to go along with written on how to put the jacket together.

If you want a pattern to make a jacket with. Let me know and I'm happy to send you a copy of this one. I have only one request... I don't care if your a seamstress or making this for yourself... If someone else wants a copy, or likes your jacket and asks how you got it, GIVE THEM THE PATTERN if they want it. No cost involved.

The reason I got into costuming was because #1 the ones you buy cost a lot (though as a seamstress I completely see why because they require a LOT of time to make). #2 Many uniforms/costumes that are made commercially for sale are not accurate.

We strive to make our patterns screen accurate by watching the programs over and over, watching for how materials move and attach to each other. We have been doing this for fifteen years. Its just taken my kids growing up a bit and getting ready for a big out of state Con to get me to drag stuff back out and start going on uniforms/costumes again.

So there it is. Let me know if I can help you out.

Bah, got this on the wrong thread. Have to get used to your posting system. So here it is here and I'm going to do it again on the one where everyone's looking for patterns.

Colonel Archon April 8th, 2019 07:15 PM

My fellow Colonials...I have returned.
Will the bar-man please provide me with water to drink? The rest of you know that I cannot tolerate intoxicants.