Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Last Battlestar......Galactica! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Lazy writing (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5384)

dah66 December 10th, 2003 01:16 PM

Lazy writing

I took a writing course once and the instructor discussed lazy writing. He described this as taking a shortcut to elicit a strong emotional response from the reader based on preconceptions. The example that he used was placing a puppy down a well. Most people respond well to puppies and they would immediately wonder why the puppy was there and would hope that the puppy could escape or be rescued from its horrible situation. This is an easy plot device that requires no work on the part of the writer since the reader is predisposed towards wanting to know the resolution of the conflict.

In my opinion, Ron Moore emptied the pound of puppies and put them all down the well.

Most people will immediately think of the baby killing, but what really got me was the little girl with the doll. She was an idealized version of a child, with her wide eyed innocence and adorable remarks, so of course she would be cannon fodder for the mini. Her introduction and subsequent demise were cheap plot devices in a production plagued by lazy writing. I guess taking the time to establish a real character, one that the audience cares about, was too much work. If they really wanted to show that Roslin could make the tough decisions, then they should have had her boring assistant on a sub light vehicle when they needed to have made the jump.

Also, once they examined the dead Cylon, didn't they say that it mimicked human anatomy and therefore was nonmetallic? If this is true, why does Six have a glowing red spine? Maybe I missed something, but I doubt it. The original series had plot holes but the mini seems to have just as many or more. Ron Moore could have done so much better and he should have since so many people have waited 25 years to see the Galactica fly once again. In my opinion, he just didn't seem to care.

Dave

Belloby December 11th, 2003 08:16 AM

Judging from what I've heard, I do believe the Moore has become lazy.
The guy has so much talent he should be writing science fiction novels and what does he do...become involved with a remake? The project should've been put in Richard's hands with Moore acting as consultant.

With Moore's writing skills and understanding of the human condition and Richard's outstanding creativity and passion for the series....we honestly couldn't have wished for a better pair.

Sad thing is that Moore has been hanging around the Trek producers too much and he's learned that laziness from them.

malachi42 December 11th, 2003 09:52 AM

He hasn't been at Trek for quite a few years or am I mistaken?

dah66 December 11th, 2003 10:22 AM

Moore left Trek in the early days of Voyager. He discussed his feelings on that subject in a recent issue of Starlog.

malachi42 December 11th, 2003 10:54 AM

But he is still learning from the producers at Trek?? Why? Seems like he has his own gig going succesfully.

Rally December 12th, 2003 03:29 PM

Ron Moore

I have been a fan of Ron Moore's for quite a while. I believe he and the other writers made DS9 the best Trek EVER. I feel it pushed the envelope of the Star Trek Universe and took it in directions it needed to go. The Dominion War Arc is still the best storyline I have seen since The Wrath of Khan.

Moore wrote one episode of Voyager before moving on. I did enjoy CARNIVALE, which I found to be fresh, original and interesting. I hope HBO renews it.

However, I think he totally blew it with BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. I feel as if he "mailed it in"

dah66 December 14th, 2003 03:12 PM

Rally,

I agree with you 100%. DS9 was my favorite of the ST spin-offs.

I really thought that Ron Moore could have done so much better than what he gave us.

And I'm pretty sure that Carnivale has been picked up for a second season (but I think Moore has moved on).

Dave

malachi42 December 15th, 2003 07:50 AM

It was announced that Carnivale has been picked up, RDM is now at Universal (Galactica).