Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Galactica and Fleets News (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Battlestar Galactica Movie News (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18679)

Eric Paddon September 8th, 2019 10:19 AM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News

I probably wasn't clear enough about how it's only new characters where I play the "casting" game to go alongside the original series actors. I've done this thing before with other fanfic properties and it helps for me that I've seen so much classic TV from the late 50s to early 80s that my mind automatically has a sense of who viable names are for what kind of parts if this were a theoretical 1982 production starring Hatch, Greene, Bridges etc. The only time I've done a mental "recast" is the Pegasus executive officer, Colonel Tolen who was played by a small part actor with few overall credits.

And one other amendment I would like to make regarding Galactica comics. Today, for the first time I discovered what Realm Press was trying to do in 1999-2000 which I was completely unaware of since I thought they were done after 98. What I read in just two issues (apparently all they did) just blew me away and makes me want to cry when I think of how that effort got sidetracked before it had a chance to take off and instead we got stuck with Dynamite's stuff. What Realm was planning is the way Galactica *should* be done in the comics.

Re: Star Wars. The radio plays I enjoyed too although I felt ROTJ didn't expand things as fully as I would have liked (though I grant it was a miracle they were able to reassemble almost everyone after 13 years). Marvel Comics I read back in the day between the first two films but overall the broader Star Wars projects never grabbed me because the problem was that with the films having this cliffhanger quality to them, I knew that any other property wasn't going to address the things I was more anxious to know about. I can only imagine how much more of a jumbled mess everything is on. Perhaps on some level, what SW fans are going through is what we might have gone through had there been a second season of Galactica according to that awful Larson memo that would have killed Sheba off and turned Cain into some Cylon replicant. That to me is more horrible to imagine than even G80 which is more easy to dismiss.

I used to be a little more involved in Trek novels and comics in the days before my total negative reaction to Star Trek IV ultimately drove me away from Trek fandom and confined me to just TOS and movies up to Wrath of Khan (I'd rather Spock had stayed dead). "Yesterday's Son" and it's sequel novel by A.C. Crispin remain my favorite Trek novels. The novels explaining Khan's background didn't interest me much but I did pick up the last one that covers the story between Space Seed and Wrath of Khan and the death of McGivers (and even though the wraparound stuff of Kirk is post-Trek IV it at least does fill in a gap for me there because WOK's one big flaw is that we never see Kirk and Khan face to face nor do we ever see Kirk have a moment's contemplation on his own responsibility for what Khan has become)

martok2112 September 8th, 2019 10:42 AM

I agree about RotJ Radio Play. It was only six episodes, so it only had a few minutes of expansion, whereas the first two, A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back had tons more detail added onto them. I think, at the time, Brian Daley was in bad health when he was writing Return of the Jedi. He probably could not focus on expanding it the way he did the first two plays. When that radio drama wrapped up recording, Brian Daley died.

I really appreciated the way Daley wrote the radio version of General Carlist Rieekan, the Echo Base commander in The Empire Strikes Back. I liked Rieekan in the movie, but he was even cooler in the radio play. The way he was written reminded me of some of my former commanders and superior officers when I was in the Army. He rang true to me in the radio play.

Here's a little something for the memory, my friend: If you listened to the first Radio Play back in 1980 ('81?), the announcer called the subtitle title of the Star Wars Radio Play
"The New Hope". Star Wars: The New Hope. In later releases of the Radio Play on cassette and CD, the subtitle was dropped, and it was just called "Star Wars".

I am currently trying to work on a CG animated series of excerpts from the Radio Plays, starting with scenes from Chapter 3 of A New Hope (Black Knight, White Princess, and Pawns) where Leia and Captain Antilles must get the Death Star plans from the Rebels in the Toprawa system. I have a previsualized animatic of how a couple of scenes would play out...now I'm just looking to flesh them out with better model and character builds.

Eric Paddon September 8th, 2019 11:15 AM

It's too bad they couldn't get Hamill back for ROTJ as well since its the one other thing that's missing from the earlier productions that helped it seem more canon. I also couldn't understand why they bothered hiring Ed Asner for Jabba since all his dialogue/sounds could just as easily have been lifted the film soundtrack and I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

There's been a lot of additional great radio drama from sci-fi properties. Leonard Nimoy's "Alien Voices" series did outstanding work with classic sci-fi literary projects (his version of "The Time Machine" should be listened to in the dark for maximum scare effect). I still wish someone had tackled C.S. Lewis's "Out Of The Silent Planet" and "Perelandra" (not even BBC did them. I've heard multiple versions of the Narnia series but the space trilogy remains my favorite Lewis work).

Galactica could work as radio too even.

Jayworld September 16th, 2019 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Paddon (Post 315055)

Galactica could work as radio too even.

This last statement made me think, or actually re-visit the notion that perhaps our beloved Classic Battlestar Galactica could still be revived as a continuation via radio play or animated film/television series? I've wondered that for some time, and perhaps enough of an impetus to spur me to finish the animated continuation trailer I started back in 2007 and never finished. A radio continuation would allow surviving cast members to reprise their roles.

Does anyone know if Tom DeSanto has completely moved on or still has any type of inclinations towards his original continuation vision of Battlestar? I think the DeSanto/Singer Fox telefilm continuation that didn't happen in 2001 and the previous Hatch trailer in 1998 got most of us excited for something that so far has never happened. That little spark or inkling still keeps me interested in a future Battlestar project (in this case, the on-again, off-again movie)....

Darrell Lawrence September 16th, 2019 10:11 AM

Can it work as a radio program? Try this... you can listen to it the same as a radio program -

Pt1 -

Pt2 -

Pt3 -

Eric Paddon September 16th, 2019 08:08 PM

Will be giving it a listen! :)

Darrell Lawrence September 17th, 2019 02:27 AM

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ead.php?t=6902

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ad.php?t=10267

ernie90125 September 17th, 2019 09:02 AM

https://deadline.com/2019/09/battles...ck-1202736127/

ernie90125 September 17th, 2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayworld (Post 315061)
A radio continuation would allow surviving cast members to reprise their roles.

All I will say is be careful what you wish for...

;-)

Eric Paddon September 17th, 2019 09:37 AM

Realistically, Dirk and Anne are the only two I can envision in any kind of project.

Darrell Lawrence September 17th, 2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernie90125 (Post 315066)

Quote:

We hear Esmail had been in touch with Moore, who blessed the idea of him taking on the franchise, because of Esmail’s passion for Moore’s version of the show.
...eeewwww...

ernie90125 September 17th, 2019 02:59 PM

https://www.cbr.com/nbcs-battlestar-...t-isnt-reboot/

Quote:

Reports that the new Battlestar Galactica series would be a reboot of the classic sci-fi franchise appear to be inaccurate.

Sam Esmail, the creator of the Emmy Award-winning Mr. Robot who has signed on to develop the new series for NBCUniversal's upcoming premium streaming service Peacock, has denied that the series would be a reboot of Ronald D. Moore's modern take on the franchise, but instead focus on a new story set within that universe.

Eric Paddon September 17th, 2019 04:35 PM

Cue snoring sound effect.

JLHurley September 17th, 2019 05:55 PM

Disappointing news--and on the anniversary of the original's debut, no less. Even if it were aired on NBC (as opposed to pay streaming), I can't see myself interested enough to actually watch it.

Happy Birthday, BG. {sigh} :(

Darrell Lawrence September 17th, 2019 10:29 PM

Quote:

Reports that the new Battlestar Galactica series would be a reboot of the classic sci-fi franchise appear to be inaccurate.

Sam Esmail, the creator of the Emmy Award-winning Mr. Robot who has signed on to develop the new series for NBCUniversal's upcoming premium streaming service Peacock, has denied that the series would be a reboot of Ronald D. Moore's modern take on the franchise, but instead focus on a new story set within that universe.
Gag...

So... did you guys and gals listen to the "Return of a Hero" audio?

Charybdis September 18th, 2019 09:47 AM

Those gaulmonging tinheads!!! A story within the RDM universe. Well, that leaves out those of us still clinging for an original based storyline with original actors, etc.

Sheesh...yeah, happy 41st anniversary BSG....

Senmut September 18th, 2019 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Paddon (Post 315068)
Realistically, Dirk and Anne are the only two I can envision in any kind of project.

Why not Laurette Spang? Or Herb Jefferson? Why only Dirk and Anne?

Eric Paddon September 18th, 2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senmut (Post 315081)
Why not Laurette Spang? Or Herb Jefferson? Why only Dirk and Anne?

Laurette stopped acting when she got married just after Galactica ended. I don't know if Herb still does anything but Anne and Dirk are the only two who have still regularly worked within the last few years and both would make more sense from a small part continuity wise than Boomer frankly IMO.

Senmut September 19th, 2019 10:11 AM

Well, hopefully, someone will ask them.

Eric Paddon September 20th, 2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence (Post 315077)
Gag...

So... did you guys and gals listen to the "Return of a Hero" audio?

Got it downloaded for my mp3 player now. Next time I do a drive or long walk is when I'll be diving into it.