Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   ART Work - In Progress (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   My TOS Studio CGI Replica (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18776)

Westy September 16th, 2018 11:05 PM

My TOS Studio CGI Replica

Model by Peter Westberg. VFX by Mojo. Animation by David Morton.

https://vimeo.com/278863476

Titon September 17th, 2018 03:49 AM

Re: My TOS Studio CGI Replica

Looks great!

Senmut September 17th, 2018 09:33 AM

I want one!!!!!!!!

Westy September 17th, 2018 02:56 PM

Here's a thing I'm working on currently...it's def. a WIP. It's a little over half done so far.

https://vimeo.com/290218733

Senmut September 17th, 2018 09:11 PM

More!!!!!
More!!!!!!

SeanP September 18th, 2018 02:54 PM

WOW! Both of those movies are really awesome! :)

BST September 18th, 2018 05:21 PM

Outstanding! :)

Westy September 18th, 2018 11:56 PM

Thanks everyone! It takes literally days to render 30 seconds worth of video, but I'll get it finished eventually. She's come a loooooong way since 2003, that's for sure.

ernie90125 November 8th, 2018 09:42 AM

Great stuff ! Thanks !

Westy December 22nd, 2018 11:25 PM

thanks. I had to switch back to my Basestar model cuz I wanted to put it in the anim at the end, but it needs lots of work so it's mad accurate...so I've been doing tons of modeling for a few months on that. If anyone's interested, I'll put on some WIP pics of it.

Titon December 23rd, 2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westy (Post 314788)
thanks. I had to switch back to my Basestar model cuz I wanted to put it in the anim at the end, but it needs lots of work so it's mad accurate...so I've been doing tons of modeling for a few months on that. If anyone's interested, I'll put on some WIP pics of it.

Love to see it!

Westy December 23rd, 2018 11:17 AM

ok, i'll get some pics up here of areas I've accurized. I'm kind of liking the way it's coming along. I have to work in a few, I'll do it when I get home later.

Senmut December 23rd, 2018 04:08 PM

Will we see any BaseShips, eventually?

Westy December 23rd, 2018 08:29 PM

Oh yeah, definitely...

Westy December 23rd, 2018 11:22 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here's the latest renders. Please excuse the missing stuff, it's a lot of work!

Titon December 24th, 2018 06:14 AM

Looking good sir!

Westy December 24th, 2018 07:15 AM

Thank Titon, it's getting there. I figure another couple years and a few million more polygons should do it. But for the animation, I'm just modeling everything visible from views that are from above.

Titon December 24th, 2018 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You must have some sort of reference though since that trench detail is pretty close.

Been a while since i opened my file but here's a render of mine from a while back.

Westy December 24th, 2018 08:13 PM

Wow, that's nice. Yeah I have a bunch of really nice ref photos I'm going by for it.

Westy December 24th, 2018 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a render of my model that was created and posted by Adam Mojo Lebowitz (a member here I believe?) on Facebook's "3D Sci-Fi Renders" group. What an amazing image!

AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT
New BSG image for the holidays! Enjoy, be safe and have a frakking great Christmas... - Adam Mojo Lebowitz

Senmut December 24th, 2018 09:03 PM

Drool, drool!!!!!

Westy December 26th, 2018 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an AO shot of all the latest.

Titon December 26th, 2018 02:42 PM

Nice!

There seems to be a miss aligned texture map? Are the panel lines modeled or textured?

Senmut December 26th, 2018 02:58 PM

Launch Vipers!

Westy December 26th, 2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titon (Post 314803)
Nice!

There seems to be a miss aligned texture map? Are the panel lines modeled or textured?

I'm not really doing textures yet...I just ripped the lightwave surfaces off the Galactica model as is without a thought about lining them up. It's still a WIP and far from done. Basically I'm doing the main geometry, nurnies, and whatever first, then I'll figure out the paint job later. The panels are all geometry though, and I haven't done the asymmetrical stuff yet. I'm doing a 1/5th section first, then I'll take that and start doing the other 1/5th section asymmetrical stuff after...plus that weird control bridge area thingy and the asymmetrical launch bay thingy...there's still huge amounts to do! I'm sure it'll take a couple more years at the rate I'm going, but I'm persistent...someday it'll get done.

I see what ur saying though...I might be able to straighten that stuff out without too much trouble...I'll look at it. That stuff isn't permanent though, I just slapped it on from my Battlestar model without thinking too much about it yet.

Titon December 27th, 2018 03:45 AM

No worries. Your doing a great job on it.

I've been working on mine since 1999 so i understand the time it takes.

;)

SeanP December 27th, 2018 05:49 AM

That looks pretty awesome so far dude! :)

ghostbusters1 December 28th, 2018 09:05 AM

hello i'm working on a really insane battlestar galactica simulator/game made in unreal engine sadly i'm just a coder so finding assets is hard. id love to talk to you about your assets

Westy December 29th, 2018 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostbusters1 (Post 314808)
hello i'm working on a really insane battlestar galactica simulator/game made in unreal engine sadly i'm just a coder so finding assets is hard. id love to talk to you about your assets

Greets :-)

I have some experience actually in coding games using C++/DirectX from a failed game start up I was involved with. My models most definitely wouldn't work with todays rendering technology, not yet anyways...as game models are into the few 1000 polygon range, but my models are in the millions of polygons. My models are good for making a movie or game cut scene with, as that's not a real time render, but that's about it until GPU power is like...100 times faster than what it is now. But there's tons of meshes out there that could work that are very low res. I wish my models could be real time rendered...I actually started my battlestar model while I was working on the game, and imported it in when it was about only like 200,000 polygons and the game engine performance just nose dived :-(

Westy December 29th, 2018 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titon (Post 314806)
No worries. Your doing a great job on it.

I've been working on mine since 1999 so i understand the time it takes.

;)

When are you going to show it off? I'd love to see it.