Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Last Battlestar......Galactica! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   What order are the Richard Hatch books to be read? (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18835)

Jayworld January 10th, 2020 12:44 PM

Re: What order are the Richard Hatch books to be read?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charybdis (Post 315062)
Wow, Richard's books are selling for that high a price? Good thing I bought all of them as they came out for regular copy price!!

Yes, I did, too, but good luck on realizing anything close to that price when trying to sell (which is what I did this past year. I think I got close to $120 for the first five, and those were first editions, hard-back, and all signed by Richard (2 gold editions).

I thought it weird that Richard's gold editions were limited to 2,500 (or so, can't remember) but were nothing more than him using a special gold stamp in the front of the book at conventions and writing your number and signing the book in gold ink. The number never changed; i.e. if a person had number 1200 when they purchased a book, then that number was "assigned" to them and Richard would always use that number when signing future "gold" copies (limited to one per title) for the same person, if that makes sense? Because the price was much higher to get a gold copy, I only got two of them and then got the rest of my books signed the "normal" way for $10 - $20 each (depending on the show that Richard was at, it seemed). He used normal black Sharpie for the regular signatures.

Eric Paddon October 26th, 2020 08:28 PM

I found copies of "Paradis" and "Destiny" in the $40 range which I decided to grab (that was the lowest) and I decided to get the *only* copy of "Redemption" that was available on Amazon and which I can pay in six monthly installments. I decided that at this stage it's important to have a copy of each of these books regardless of how I felt about them initially so that I can try to give them a new look even though I know I'll have issues with the lack of continuity they demonstrated and the fact there's a cliffhanger in the last novel (I'm used to that though, based on what happened with Max and Realm Press with their comics).

Senmut October 27th, 2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charybdis (Post 315062)
Wow, Richard's books are selling for that high a price? Good thing I bought all of them as they came out for regular copy price!!

Nothing like dying to raise the profits from your work.

Jayworld October 28th, 2020 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senmut (Post 315472)
Nothing like dying to raise the profits from your work.

Understand the sentiment, as we see that from time-to-time when someone dies that their work increases in value, or their collectibles (think Tom Seaver baseball cards for a current example), but in this case, the latter books were pretty high priced before Richard Hatch passed away.

Eric Paddon October 28th, 2020 07:48 PM

Yeah, no doubt due to scarcity of copies based on fewer printed. It's almost amazing he still got one final one out after that other entity started airing.

The $250 pricetag for "Redemption" was high, but every other copy I saw off-Amazon was going from $500 to $1000!

Charybdis October 29th, 2020 10:07 AM

yeah, but was anyone actually buying the book for over $500?? Probably not. Hmmm, maybe I should sell off my entire collection for a fast buck! j/k :)

Eric Paddon October 29th, 2020 11:11 AM

It's too bad none of those books are on Kindle and then the price would REALLY drop! (and I wouldn't need any of the physical copies). Likewise, it'd be nice if the old novelizations were on Kindle for convenience.

Senmut October 29th, 2020 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charybdis (Post 315476)
yeah, but was anyone actually buying the book for over $500?? Probably not. Hmmm, maybe I should sell off my entire collection for a fast buck! j/k :)

That's "fast cubit". :D

Gundark May 5th, 2021 03:31 PM

I've read the first three of Richard's books, and actually just received the fourth in the mail today (a signed copy, no less).

While there were certain elements of the first three that I enjoyed, there were two utterly opposite revelations near the end of Resurrection; one of which moved me to bittersweet tears and the other that had me squirming in utmost discomfort. I will not divulge either, for those who have not read the books, but I am embarking on the fourth tonight (Rebellion) with a great deal of trepidation. I also noticed, as well, the increasing price as the volumes went on. Ultimately, even though I don't care for some of the plot points, it was Richard's vision and I'm not going to trash that, not ever.

As far as the original novelizations, I had some of them from the great past, but they apparently grew legs at some point (likely in a previous move - and ain't that fun ?) and are gone. Like someone mentioned earlier, its a now a matter of snooping around used book shops.

Senmut May 5th, 2021 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Paddon (Post 315009)

Of course this is why fanfic authors typically know how to get it right. :)

Yes, we do. ;)

Gundark May 7th, 2021 03:11 PM

So while we're still on this subject, I would like to confess that clearly I am a complete idiot (not to offend any partial idiots out there), as I ordered two copies of Rebellion, one from Amazon and one from Ebay (according to my mailman).

I can only blame this on being so busy with real life work (that's lame I know), and that annoyingly wonderful ability to buy things at 2:12 AM, in bed, on my phone, with "add to cart" and "buy now". I predict that at some point this is the very technology that will take us down faster than Skynet.

Therefore, I would like to offer to anyone here, the second copy, sent to them free of charge, as opposed to sending it along to Used Book Hell, if someone is interested in reading them and would like a freebie ! Just because Gundy is really that nice of a fan boy gal, and obviously as humble as Drax.

Takers ?

Gundark May 9th, 2021 08:26 AM

Oh boy.

So folks, I finished Rebellion since my last post. I cannot underestimate the non-religious blasphemy on page 108. Pure. Agony. Just so wrong in every way it can be. Completely unredeemed by the end but with a quirky turn of events that made it slightly more bearable, but not forgiven in any way.

Makes sense, yes ?

Eric Paddon May 9th, 2021 08:59 AM

I have never read past the first couple Hatch novels (and that was decades ago though I have in recent years reassembled all of them) but I did get the sense in general that as he went further along he and his writing partners were getting more afield than ever from the series itself in terms of the characters (and I felt there were problems in the first novel). Someday I hope to go through them again with a more open mind but I know it'll require a lot of patience on my part.

Gundark May 9th, 2021 11:13 AM

I managed to acquire Paradis in paperback form and that is my next one to read.

I could not agree more, Eric, that despite it being intended as the "continuation" of TOS, some of the plot plots (whether Richard's ideas or bad advice on the part of the various co-authors) were odd, although there were some things I liked. However a major loose thread, I felt, was the distinct lack of Adama. (Sorry if that presents as a spoiler to non-readers), and some canon was terribly askew.

Eric Paddon May 9th, 2021 03:33 PM

The chief problem is I think Richard's ghostwriters broke what should be the first rule of writing Galactica, and that is you have to *watch* the episodes again before you write. You need to carefully immerse yourself in the specifics of the episodes because Galactica, while not serialized the way TV is today, was still a show of forward momentum where what happened in one episode did have ramifications for later episodes. That means you can't forget about things like Baltar being a prisoner at one point and getting released in "Hand Of God" and you also can't forget (as Hatch's novels did) that the Ship of Lights gave them the general course heading for Earth (even "Galactica 1980" remembered this point in "Return of Starbuck"!) I tended to think Richard and his writers were going from memory more often than not or from some quickie summary rather than taking time to watch and take notes before proceeding.

Gundark May 9th, 2021 04:38 PM

I believe you summed it up perfectly !