Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Last Battlestar......Galactica! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   What order are the Richard Hatch books to be read? (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18835)

Lighthope August 20th, 2019 06:57 PM

What order are the Richard Hatch books to be read?

I have never read the BG books by Richard Hatch. Am finally going to sit down and read them.

Just don't know what order they are supposed to be read in.

Any lists?

Eric Paddon August 21st, 2019 04:59 AM

Re: What order are the Richard Hatch books to be read?

Armageddon (1997) by Christopher Golden and Richard Hatch
Warhawk (1998) by Christopher Golden and Richard Hatch
Resurrection (2001) by Richard Hatch and Stan Timmons
Rebellion (2002) by Richard Hatch and Alan Rodgers
Paradis (2003) by Richard Hatch and Brad Linaweaver
Destiny (2004) by Richard Hatch and Brad Linaweaver
Redemption (2005) by Richard Hatch and Brad Linaweaver

Be forewarned, that you will not find very good continuity with the series episodes in these novels, which is the reason they didn't impress me at the time they came out. And then internal continuity problem issues become evident after a bit too.

Lighthope August 23rd, 2019 07:44 PM

How are the books? Are they just fanwank? An homage to Hatch's ego? (I notice he killed off Adama so he could take over command.)

Or are they actually interesting to read?

Eric Paddon August 24th, 2019 01:00 AM

I honestly got lost around the 2nd or 3rd book and I never really went through the rest. The most distant archives at this place may in fact have some harsh words at this board I wrote back in the early 2000s about how this series was going. The 1st book got things off on the wrong foot with me and a lot of other people because it was clear that Hatch's ghostwriter didn't sit down and watch the episodes and got a sense of the overall story arc that took place over the course of the season. Not only were characters messed up (Rigel is referred to as male and Omega as an old man), but key points that happened during the run like Baltar's imprisonment and release were forgotten or ignored. And at one point (I've forgotten whether this was in the 1st or 2nd book) Apollo meets Zac as a SOL being and when he asks him where Earth is, he gets the answer, "We don't know" which totally contradicts WOTG (this is a point even G80 remembered!). There was also an underlying subplot point about pure-blood Kobollians that I remember not sitting well and then after initially remembering (sort of) the fact that Apollo and Sheba were on the verge of a relationship suddenly by the next few books, Apollo and Cassiopeia (!) are an item! The whole tone of the stories just seemed like a group of strangers to me.

Ironically, I am going to be getting the first three novels myself because after all these years I do want to see if I can approach these differently in the post-GINO world. I would recommend reading for yourself and see if you can get past the fact that you will not see continuity with the episodes observed, which I admit is a big deal with me.

Lighthope August 24th, 2019 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Paddon (Post 315006)
I would recommend reading for yourself and see if you can get past the fact that you will not see continuity with the episodes observed, which I admit is a big deal with me.

That would bug me actually. Surprisingly, one of my biggest pet peeves with nuGal was the fact that they got Pyramid and Triad mixed up. Petty to most non-fans (and anyone who liked nuGal but didn't like Classic is not a real fan), but that mistake told me very clearly that Ron Moore wasn't appreciative of Classic, but just saw BG as something to make money off of.

So the fact that Hatch's books get so many simple things wrong would put me off.

Now, some changes are interesting. The novel of Saga of a Star World had some changes. Boxey isn't Serena's kid. Jolly gets killed at Carrilon. I'm sure there are others, but those are the two things that I recall. I haven't read the book in many years.

So I am accepting of some retcon. But I don't know about the changes you mentioned.

Lighthope August 24th, 2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Paddon (Post 315006)
Rigel is referred to as male

What, WHAT?! Sexy, beautiful Rigel is a dude?! Never!!!!!!

Her long, gorgeous hair! Her and Serena......... :D

Eric Paddon August 24th, 2019 09:13 PM

I'm told Hatch got some blowback re: Rigel (amazing since he talked about having a crush on Sarah Rush!) and fixed that in subsequent novels.

The Saga novelization wasn't changes so much as the fact that they were going from an earlier draft of the script where Boxey was an orphan found by Serina and other things (the Cylons still being reptiles etc.)

Of course this is why fanfic authors typically know how to get it right. :)

Lighthope August 24th, 2019 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Paddon (Post 315009)
I'm told Hatch got some blowback re: Rigel (amazing since he talked about having a crush on Sarah Rush!) and fixed that in subsequent novels.

Well, at least he fixed that.

Quote:

The Saga novelization wasn't changes so much as the fact that they were going from an earlier draft of the script where Boxey was an orphan found by Serina and other things (the Cylons still being reptiles etc.)
Makes sense

Quote:

Of course this is why fanfic authors typically know how to get it right. :)
Very true. Though they are the reason the word "fanwank" was invented. haha

As a bit of trivia, very soon after Battlestar Galactica, Sarah Rush appeared in the Christian movie Years of the Beast. She cut her hair, but not much. Still fairly long. haha

ernie90125 August 26th, 2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Paddon (Post 315004)
Armageddon (1997) by Christopher Golden and Richard Hatch
Warhawk (1998) by Christopher Golden and Richard Hatch
Resurrection (2001) by Richard Hatch and Stan Timmons
Rebellion (2002) by Richard Hatch and Alan Rodgers
Paradis (2003) by Richard Hatch and Brad Linaweaver
Destiny (2004) by Richard Hatch and Brad Linaweaver
Redemption (2005) by Richard Hatch and Brad Linaweaver

Be forewarned, that you will not find very good continuity with the series episodes in these novels, which is the reason they didn't impress me at the time they came out. And then internal continuity problem issues become evident after a bit too.

There was also to be a last novel, Discovery, but it wasn't published.

Richard wanted the novels to be re-published with extensive continuity and proof-reading corrections before re-publication.

The first novel, Armageddon, was the story of The Second Coming.

Eric Paddon August 26th, 2019 07:52 PM

Wasn't aware of an unpublished novel. Not being familiar with the later ones, does that mean the whole series was in a cliffhanger mode at the end of the last published one?

Lighthope August 26th, 2019 08:33 PM

I'm going to give the first novel a shot with the mindset to forgive the odd continuity error.

JLHurley August 27th, 2019 04:13 AM

If memory serves, I think the novels even had Dr. Wilker as a physician or Dr. Salik as a tech scientist--or both. Some sort of slightly distracting mix-up...

ernie90125 August 27th, 2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lighthope (Post 315016)
I'm going to give the first novel a shot with the mindset to forgive the odd continuity error.

I think that's worth doing...to their credit, they are a continuation of what happened next and, as with the Dynamite comics, even if some people review the comics/books as having their faults...at least someone did something new...

Lighthope August 27th, 2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHurley (Post 315017)
If memory serves, I think the novels even had Dr. Wilker as a physician or Dr. Salik as a tech scientist--or both. Some sort of slightly distracting mix-up...

That one is passable. I get those two confused as well. :rotf:

Jayworld August 29th, 2019 12:04 PM

Things were indeed mixed-up throughout the Richard Hatch novels, and at one time, I had them all (five of the personally signed, two of the five as gold editions), and overall, they were an entertaining read, especially in contrast to GINO, yet I found myself (which is unusual for me) not desiring to re-read any of the Hatch novels. I ended up selling my last five copies (all signed) on eBay recently; and at a great discount. Surprisingly not much interest in these a present, even as signed copies. BTW, you'll be hard-pressed to find new hardcover versions of Destiny and Redemption, as new copies are very expensive. You can get the first two very easy and relatively cheap. I believe Armageddon (and perhaps others) were re-released in softcover format.

Eric Paddon August 29th, 2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayworld (Post 315028)
BTW, you'll be hard-pressed to find new hardcover versions of Destiny and Redemption, as new copies are very expensive. You can get the first two very easy and relatively cheap. I believe Armageddon (and perhaps others) were re-released in softcover format.

I noticed those high prices for the latter ones. That's a testament I think more to how interest really had slackened off by the time they were coming out because those of us who'd given up on Richard's books had checked out sooner. I was able to find good hardback editions of the first three this past week but I doubt I'll be able to get further. Of late, having also reacquired a set of the original paperback novelizations, my blood is more "up" about wanting all these incarnations represented (probably owing to the fact that my fanfic output after ten years of dormancy has seen me do five stories in the last three months!).

JLHurley August 30th, 2019 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lighthope (Post 315020)
That one is passable. I get those two confused as well. :rotf:

Blasphemy! You're sentenced to one year of daily BG viewings! Let that be a lesson to you! :salute:

Lighthope August 30th, 2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHurley (Post 315033)
Blasphemy! You're sentenced to one year of daily BG viewings! Let that be a lesson to you! :salute:

I don't really consider that a punishment.

Oh, you mean daily G1980 viewings? You FIEND!!!!

Jayworld September 16th, 2019 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Paddon (Post 315030)
I noticed those high prices for the latter ones. That's a testament I think more to how interest really had slackened off by the time they were coming out because those of us who'd given up on Richard's books had checked out sooner. I was able to find good hardback editions of the first three this past week but I doubt I'll be able to get further. Of late, having also reacquired a set of the original paperback novelizations, my blood is more "up" about wanting all these incarnations represented (probably owing to the fact that my fanfic output after ten years of dormancy has seen me do five stories in the last three months!).

I think by the time that Destiny and Redemption were released, there was a larger release date gap between the novels (the first 2-3 were about a year apart or so) and also lesser numbers of the last two were issued. If you can find either, especially Redemption, in hardcover for under $50 in new or near-new condition, you MUST buy it. Probably won't find a better deal. Redemption generally sells for $90 and up on amazon when it is available. One thing that bothered me about Richard's series (and I know that this is just being picky) is that the series was not published by the same company, so the first two books are smaller in size compared to the rest of the novels and kind of looked weird all next to each other on the bookshelf.

The original series of paperbacks by Glen Larson (and second author) are generally much easier and cheaper to find. I found issues #4 - #8 at a local Half Price bookstore last year for $3 each. They pop up from time-to-time. The best ones to look for are books #12, 13, and 14, as they are original stories and not based upon adapted teleplays. They'll cost you more, though, too.

Charybdis September 16th, 2019 09:38 AM

Wow, Richard's books are selling for that high a price? Good thing I bought all of them as they came out for regular copy price!!