Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
(http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   G80-05: Space Croppers (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4169)

Flamingo Girl September 1st, 2003 04:02 PM

G80-05: Space Croppers

Series stars: Lorne Greene, Kent McCord, Bary Van Dyke, Robyn Douglass, Richard Lynch, Robbie Rist, Richard Eastman, Vernan Weddle, Herbert Jefferson Jr., Patrick Stuart, Allan Miller

Guest stars: Dana Elcare, Ana Alicia, Anna Navarro, Bill Cort, Bill McKenny, Ned Romero

Hoping to force the Galacticans to lead them to Earth, the Cylons attack the agro ships, depriving the space-bound humans of their food. Troy and Dillon are then sent on a mission to establish a colony to provide them food for the Galactica. They find a farm on the edge of bankruptcy because of a man who has dammed up the creek that feeds it. The man, a rich, prejudiced, bully, sets out to stop them from making a profit. One of his men set their seed on fire And when they demand retubution, he gives it, and then offers them a ride on his bronco. They further anger him when they tame the horse, and win him and the $1000.00 prize that goes with him, and he cuts off what little water he has been allowing. Dr. Zee assures them they will have plenty of water, so long as they get everything planted by the end of that day..They enlist the help of the Galactican scouts to get the fields planted, and Dr. Zee assembles a group of agro experts who will aid in the planting and become colonists on Earth to continue taking care of the crops, while their arrival causes rain to water the crops. The bully is dealt with when he reveals what he oversaw on the night of the planting to local officials, discrediting himself to the valley residents, and losing the approval of the water “rationing” he has been carrying out, freeing the water for future use by everyone.

shiningstar January 11th, 2004 07:24 PM

This episode I missed.

launchcruiser7 March 18th, 2004 01:35 PM

ana alica looks great

only other female to make the jump to 1980 can you tell who other one is wish it had been rigel hint look in other posts :salute: :warrior:

Senmut March 31st, 2004 12:34 AM

I missed this one, so I cannot comment.

Eric Paddon April 1st, 2004 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senmut
I missed this one, so I cannot comment.

Lucky you. :D

Senmut April 1st, 2004 11:24 PM

I wish I had seen it, simply so I could comment. I remember the promos, but that's all. Anyway, it's gotta beat that remake thing.

Eric Paddon April 2nd, 2004 11:07 AM

It's a lot easier to just say that the remake and episodes like this are equally bad in their own way. :D

The worst moments of this episode include the stupid new voice of the Imperious Leader (done to cannibalized footage from Saga), and then the idiotic singing bit near the end.

Senmut April 8th, 2004 02:17 AM

Is a script of it posted on-line, anywhere?

Senmut October 10th, 2004 03:02 AM

Well?

kingfish October 16th, 2004 02:56 PM

I believe that Dennis Haysbert did the voice of IL for the episode and was credited as The Creature. The episode starts with a bang but fizzles quickly.

kingfish October 16th, 2004 03:09 PM

My Take:

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Battlesta...?showtopic=439

Eric Paddon October 25th, 2004 09:31 PM

Haysbert the saintly Presidential candidate who practically acted like an Imperious Leader in "24"? Strange bit of appropriate symmetry if that's who it was! :)

kingfish October 26th, 2004 05:47 AM

I believe that this is the same Dennis Haysbert from Buck Rogers season 2.

http://www.buck-rogers.com/film_and_...t/haysbert.jpg

Eric Paddon October 26th, 2004 09:51 AM

Yep, that's "24's" president.

peter noble October 27th, 2004 03:20 AM

Dennis Haysbert actually plays one of the pilots of the D Squadron. I'm guessing, but I've got an inkling that a guy called Walker Edminston does the voice of the IL in this episode.

This is my favourite episode of Galactica 1980.

Peter

kingfish October 27th, 2004 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter noble
Dennis Haysbert actually plays one of the pilots of the D Squadron. I'm guessing, but I've got an inkling that a guy called Walker Edminston does the voice of the IL in this episode.

This is my favourite episode of Galactica 1980.

Peter

Thanks for the info Peter. Dennis played Kip then a member of D squadron. He and Dillon were also friends. Dillon mentions that Kip drew the USSR assignment in the pilot G-1980.

Eric Paddon October 27th, 2004 04:04 PM

If Haysbert played Kip, then Dr. Zee sure didn't realize that assigning him to the USSR wouldn't exactly allow him to blend in with the masses! :)

Senmut October 28th, 2004 12:02 AM

How do you say "Siberia" in Colonial???

Aphrodite May 30th, 2009 05:55 PM

Re: G80-05: Space Croppers

Does anyone know the words to the song that the kids sing in this episode?

Sarika September 6th, 2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphrodite (Post 290201)
Does anyone know the words to the song that the kids sing in this episode?

I was just watchingthis episode last night myself, and I wouldn't mind knowing the words to this song too.

Anyone have them? So Aphrodite and I can learn the song and do a redition together for the annual Fleets Convention???
:D:LOL:
(just kidding ya there, Aphrodite...)

But seriously, anyone have the words?:salute:

cyfilon October 30th, 2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfish (Post 144831)
Thanks for the info Peter. Dennis played Kip then a member of D squadron. He and Dillon were also friends. Dillon mentions that Kip drew the USSR assignment in the pilot G-1980.

this is the only time on 1980 it is sortof said that the big G has four viper sqrdn;s the daggit's beening the fourth. ps the only other women tbe on both show's was allica on this episode and take the celestria.
and shelia dewhit she was in lost planet and was on the plane in the night the cylon's landed. also zara the newswomen of man with nine lives was the helper for mr brady on finds earth those were the only three women to be on all two shows.

Jubal December 1st, 2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarika (Post 301611)
But seriously, anyone have the words?:salute:

The words were interesting weren't they.

I'll see if I can pick them out.

Jubal January 1st, 2013 09:31 PM

Ok, have to admit, have not done this since I wrote this. I think I was thinking of the episode where they were singing around the campfire. Anyway, might give this a try soon.

Have to say I really liked this episode. This might sound a bit crazy but I think the show was starting to find it's own steam. They had to re-invent, the actors needed to find their role.

No it was not Apollo and Starbuck but as someone said it was still better than some shows that came along at the time.

Some things that I liked by this point...

1) The need to get more colonists to Earth for integration was starting to happen.
2) The saucer ship was... interesting. Where on Earth did they get that design? Well the inside of the ship was almost TRON looking. Fairly wild looking.
3) The enhanced strength of the colonial people was interesting. At first I thought they were only saying the kids had the added strength, but this episode they show Troy being able to handle two bags of seed with no problem.
4) Yes Troy and Dylan being able to jump 50 feet in the air was interesting, maybe even silly, but after all these years since of watching shows with people with quirks and powers (Charmed, Smallville, etc) it just made for a interesting show of people with quirks trying to understand regular life.
5) This one they introduced new flight helmets? And I thought it was funny how the repair crew person mentioned that Dylan and all had removed the limiters on the Vipers. It gave it that roguish moment that person Troy (Boxey) had learned a thing or two from his dad (Apollo) and Starbuck.

All and all, Troy and Dylan were enjoyable characters. Once I got past missing Hatch and Benedict and started liking McChord and Vandyke I liked the show for it's own quirky own ways. Honestly I wish Troy and Dylan had gotten a full season.

Even Z was getting toned down a bit. He was all knowning, a bit of a snot, but then they have the Starbuck episode where he is less glow, and more of a person trying to find his own identity.

The fact that Z was a light being being raised on Galactica was indeed interesting. (The mother was from another dimension, but I'm having doubts that the father was also of the same light race. Honestly, why would the light race not try to bring one of their own back?)

Boomer heading up the colonists on going to Earth was a nice touch. Boomer was the most sensible of the trio (Apollo, Starbuck, and him), so advancing in responsibility was the logical way for him to go.