Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   ART Work - In Progress (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   New Studio Scale Models and other Great models on the way!! (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12322)

TwoBrainedCylon November 30th, 2005 04:49 AM

That looks about right given the comparisons of the cockpit but it also brings up the question of just how this thing would get down the launch tube. Given DeSanto's premise, that they were built in secret and then launched in a surprise move to counter the new Cylon threat, the launch tubes would have had to have been dismantled and rebuilt for each of these.

A nitpick to be sure but I think of these things.

Very nice work on the model however.

Sandy

peter noble November 30th, 2005 05:08 AM

http://tinypic.com/i1xxtz.jpg[/QUOTE]

I'm liking that view!

Kudos to Mark B for bending your ear about continuing the project.

Hope Tom D gets to see a finished piece, I bet it'd knock him out of his socks!

BlueSquad2001 November 30th, 2005 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon
That looks about right given the comparisons of the cockpit but it also brings up the question of just how this thing would get down the launch tube. Given DeSanto's premise, that they were built in secret and then launched in a surprise move to counter the new Cylon threat, the launch tubes would have had to have been dismantled and rebuilt for each of these.

A nitpick to be sure but I think of these things.

Very nice work on the model however.

Sandy

Hey, uh..Sandy, where do you get these stories? I've never heard or read them anywhere. Where can I read the story? Oh and by the way, the ideas on what you said was thought provoking. But...this viper is not that much different to TOS viper. Although yes, the stabilizer is taller and the wings farther out, I would think that only minor changes would be made to the launch tubes? Maybe I'm wrong about this. But it's gonna be a cool kit. When I began the assembly of the components, I was so thrilled that they all fit just right, and looks about dead on to the DeSanto model we've all seen pics of. I can't wait to do a resin build-up and paint and detail this thing for our add. Oh also, the viper is a little over 15 1/2". Exact measurements in a little while, when I get around to it. I've created the markings in the same style as TOS, but have added alterations and new emblems to be placed on her, that I think will have die hard fans very pleased. I hope. :D

TwoBrainedCylon November 30th, 2005 05:26 AM

Quote:

Yet, while his fellow humans have reveled in food, drink, and endless pleasure, Orin has prepared for such a disaster. In an apparently foolish act, he rallies the remaining crew and powers up the damaged Galactica.

Swinging the vessel about, he maneuvers her to engage the threatening Basestar. The new Cylon command ship easily outmatches the weathered Galactica, but Orin has a secret. He has developed a new generation of Viper fighters that he has kept hidden from the Council of the 12. These launch from the Galactica and engage the advanced Cylon raiders. They prove to be as effective in their design as anything the Cylons have. Unfortunately, there are too few of them to completely turn the tide of battle. The Colonial warriors inflict serious blows to the Cylon fighter fleet but the basestar's firepower is overwhelming.
From http://www.cylon.org/bsg/desanto-revival01.html .

As for the model itself, I think you have the dimensions correct. My comment was more technical for the planned story and original design not on the work you're doing. Like I said, its a nitpick.

Sandy

BlueSquad2001 November 30th, 2005 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter noble

I'm liking that view!

Kudos to Mark B for bending your ear about continuing the project.

Hope Tom D gets to see a finished piece, I bet it'd knock him out of his socks![/QUOTE]
Thank You so much Peter, I hope you'll be happy with yours. Stay in touch please. :salute:

BlueSquad2001 November 30th, 2005 05:39 AM

MORE VIPER PICS

http://tinypic.com/i20kfr.jpg

http://tinypic.com/i20kjr.jpg

:salute: Special thanks to my lady, whom stood by me the entire time and cheered me on. I Love you Terri. :love: :rose:

BlueSquad2001 November 30th, 2005 05:41 AM

Quote:

As for the model itself, I think you have the dimensions correct. My comment was more technical for the planned story and original design not on the work you're doing. Like I said, its a nitpick.

Sandy

Thank- You so much Sandy.
Will be in touch in the evening. :salute:

peter noble November 30th, 2005 09:55 AM

According to Roger Sides' article (he used to own a lot of the models and props) in Sci-Fi & Fantasy Models Magazine, the Cylon Rider model was 17 inches wide, 12 and a quarter inches long and 3 and a half inches deep, making it 1/35th scale.

Best,

Peter

Darrell Lawrence November 30th, 2005 11:28 AM

Looking good, Mike!

I'm unavailable today or tomorrow to call, but I'll give you a ring on Friday if possible (whacky new scheduling).

CPO Harvey November 30th, 2005 03:24 PM

gun port placement

I'll start off by admitting that I know VERY little about designing a starship....BUT...I was thinking that having the gun ports so close to the cockpit would disrupt the pilots vision...I mean if the pilot is using the cockpit windows for any "line of sight" flying and shooting, that the muzzle flash would really mess him up.....just a thought....anyway.....LOVE the TOS Viper parked behind the "newer"version.....Great looking models....don't think that I'll be able to afford them...heavy bummer :salute:

Griffworks November 30th, 2005 05:33 PM

I got to see this model today in it's nearly completed state - minus one of the wings that was still in-the-mold. Looks better than the last time I saw it on Saturday!

Decal art also looks good, too! :Nsmilie:

Quote:

With respect, I think the only area that the DeSanto Viper "doesn't work" in the launch tubes is the vertical stabilizer. I agree w/Michael that it might be too tall for the cutouts that we see in the launch tubes. I re-watched a couple of TOS episodes today specifically to look for that and there's plenty of room around the engines and wings, by the looks of things. The DeSanto Viper that Michael has made lines up nicely w/the Studio Scale TOS Viper he's got accept for the vertical stab height.

Just sayin' and not trying to start a feud. :salute:

BlueSquad2001 November 30th, 2005 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffworks
I got to see this model today in it's nearly completed state - minus one of the wings that was still in-the-mold. Looks better than the last time I saw it on Saturday!

Decal art also looks good, too! :Nsmilie:

With respect, I think the only area that the DeSanto Viper "doesn't work" in the launch tubes is the vertical stabilizer. I agree w/Michael that it might be too tall for the cutouts that we see in the launch tubes. I re-watched a couple of TOS episodes today specifically to look for that and there's plenty of room around the engines and wings, by the looks of things. The DeSanto Viper that Michael has made lines up nicely w/the Studio Scale TOS Viper he's got accept for the vertical stab height.

That sounds correct to me Jeff. Are you up by the way? I'm looking on the internet for Colonial Cubits...Where do I get them???? :wtf:

Griffworks November 30th, 2005 09:13 PM

Got in about half an hour ago and have been skimming forums briefly.

Try Intergalactica Trading. I know I've seen them there in the past.

Ooh! Found 'em!

Here's the page I found them on.

BlueSquad2001 November 30th, 2005 09:15 PM

Quote:

Got in about half an hour ago and have been skimming forums briefly.

Try Intergalactica Trading. I know I've seen them there in the past.

Ooh! Found 'em!

[urlhttp://www.intergalactictrading.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart/store/products.html?L+itc+qrmz0521=]Here's the page I found them on.[/url]

Give me a call if you're up. :salute:

Griffworks November 30th, 2005 09:21 PM

Nah, dude. I need to head to bed. Got an early morning to get up for. I'll give you a holler at some point in the morning after 9am, probably.

TwoBrainedCylon December 1st, 2005 03:41 AM

Quote:

If you think that starts a fight with me you understand very little about me.

I haven't checked the video as it was a passing thought. Seeing the models side-by-side might give a better idea as well. The picture I was going off of is the one where the DS Viper was in the foreground and it seemed that overall it was slightly larger than the standard viper.

If its just the top fin, that wouldn't be a hard change to make to the ship.

I'm envious of your guy's talent.

Sandy

BlueSquad2001 December 1st, 2005 03:46 AM

Quote:

If you think that starts a fight with me you understand very little about me.

I haven't checked the video as it was a passing thought. Seeing the models side-by-side might give a better idea as well. The picture I was going off of is the one where the DS Viper was in the foreground and it seemed that overall it was slightly larger than the standard viper.

If its just the top fin, that wouldn't be a hard change to make to the ship.

I'm envious of your guy's talent.

Sandy

Thank You Sandy! :salute:
Advanced Raider Pics and new thread about to be started today. I hope you'll love what I've done so far, but must have alot of pics and cgi stuff as well as drawings or just whatever is available. Contact me when you can. :salute:

Griffworks December 1st, 2005 08:40 PM

No new thread nor pics...? :Nsad:

BlueSquad2001 December 1st, 2005 09:47 PM

Quote:

No new thread nor pics...? :Nsad:

Well, I worked on the Viper until 12:40 this morning, (Thurs) then tried to get some sleep, and ended waking back up at 4:30 a.m. (Thurs) and have bben going at it untill 10:00 this evening. Now, I'm finally eating...because I had forgotten to today, and finally I'll get to bed at about 12:30 or so this a.m. (Fri). I'm not real quick to just throwing pics up, things and planets have to be aligned just right ;)
I'll get around to it tomorrow. Sorry all, but just too tired now. :salute:

Griffworks December 1st, 2005 10:06 PM

It's all good! :Nsalute: