Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Galactica Cafe (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The last person (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1741)

Flamingo Girl March 12th, 2003 09:29 AM

I have dyslexia.

*wears dyslexia as a shield*

emerita March 12th, 2003 01:10 PM

Seriously? I have it too. I also had ADHD when I was a kid. If you're kidding, can I use your shield? I always have to proof read everything that I write, except in my Microsoft Word....thank God for Microsoft Word!! My ADHD is gone now and I can sit and veg in front of the tv for hours.... I am also left handed.....

Flamingo Girl March 12th, 2003 07:55 PM

Seriously. But no one knew it till I was in my late 20's. Mom just said I was lazy in school. I think that's part of the reason I can read upside-down and backwards, and can write so that you have to use a mirror to read it.

Actually, my reading skills are excellent, When I was in the 6th grade, I read at college level. Writing is another story, my writing is very sloppy, and I have a problem with spelling (why doen't this board have spellcheck?). But where my brain's disfunction really shows itself is in math, I'm horrible at math. Most dyslexics are the opposite, poor in reading and great in math.

And as I've mentioned before...I'm ambidexterous.

Erzengel March 12th, 2003 09:16 PM

ambidexterous... kewl! so am I.

emerita March 13th, 2003 06:09 AM

I was considered slow in high school and my teachers couldn't understand why I could draw and play musical instruments so well. My dyslexia wasn't caught until I was in nursing school, by my pharmacology teacher....I was ambidexterous until I had an accident where my nerves were severed in my right hand....My writing backwards, I used as my secret code! My math was horrible too. I could never get the right answer writing it down, but I could do it in my head and say it. In college, I was allowed to do some of my tests orally and I worked hard so I could pass my Nursing boards. After I started working , it wasn't a problem anymore. I use to scare my Dad. I once handed in my English homework written backwards. I spent most of the day in the counslor's office for that one. I turned my disabilities into laughter and I was always in trouble. I saw some words backwards until I was in my 20's so I never was an avid reader until I had my children and reading to them was important so I overcame alot of it......
It is nice to know that we aren't alone in this world.......

Flamingo Girl March 13th, 2003 10:17 AM

I can't spell in my head, it has to be written down. If someone spells something out to me, it doesn't form a word in my head, it's just a stream of unconnectable letters.

I remember reading something about dyslexics, and the first thing that struck me was the statement "Dyslexics think in pictures". I thought everyone did.

emerita March 13th, 2003 10:35 AM

I know. I panic when someone starts spouting out instructions to me. Even when I see a URL, I can't do it from memory. I have to write it down. I can memorize but it takes time unless it is something that is exciting to me. I always see in pictures. Sometimes I'll see words, especially when it is someone's name. If I see the spelling and it is wrong in my head, I will not be able to remember that person's name until I get it spelled right in my head. I always thought I must have been Egyptian in a former life. Pictagraphs intrigue me and are easy to translate.

Flamingo Girl March 13th, 2003 10:47 AM

I also "hear" my thoughts.

Flamingo Girl March 16th, 2003 08:37 AM

Ok, NOW I'm right-handed. I sliced a large chunk out of onr of my fingers. It hurts. A lot. And it's still bleeding.

emerita March 16th, 2003 08:42 AM

*shudder*...I also feel the pain when I read it....take care of it...wash with warm water and soap. Let it air dry and cover it for 24 hours then take the bandage off......oppps, sorry. It's the nurse coming out....LOL

Flamingo Girl March 16th, 2003 09:58 AM

Well, I'm not uncovering it till it stops bleeding, which I think it may have done....I've been holding my hand up for an hour and a half and my arm is cold. I'm tired of typing with one hand. And it hurts!

emerita March 16th, 2003 10:44 AM

How on Earth did you cut it? Sounds like it might need stitches.....

Flamingo Girl March 16th, 2003 06:57 PM

I was trying to open something, and the blade slipped.

Anyway...It stopped bleeding, and a friend convinced me to take a peek and make sure, and when I did, of course the gauze was stuck to it and tore it open again, so I replaced the bandage and it stopped again...then...I did a bunch of housecleaning. I looked at it and the bandage was soaked. Oops. So, I stopped the working, sat back down and propped my arm back up. I had some visitors, and after they left, I put on a rubber glove and hopped into the shower. When I took the glove off, the gauze went with it, fortunately no more bleeding. So I smeared some Polysporin on anothe gauze, and neatly wrapped it again, and as of this moment, the gauze is still sparkly white. The pain has even subsided.

I'm fine.

emerita March 17th, 2003 05:53 AM

*whew* Having an injured finger is hard. We never realize how much we depend on our hands until we can't use them anymore.

Flamingo Girl March 17th, 2003 08:37 AM

Yes, I know. I've injured fingers before. Good thing I'm ambidexterous, so I can still function, if sometimes akwardly.

emerita April 13th, 2003 07:13 AM

*pulls this thread out of mothballs*:duck:

Flamingo Girl April 13th, 2003 11:50 AM

*smacks emerita*

I was winning again, dang it!

The skin has grown back leaving a tiny shiny scar, and I'm sure it will be a while longer before the nerves heal as well.

jewels April 13th, 2003 05:50 PM

Hi FG, every now and then I have to drop by and steal this thread! :D
Hope your finger is all well soon though.
Jewels

Flamingo Girl April 13th, 2003 06:40 PM

I've had others who have done something similar that it never completely heals. Usually they say it feels "funny".

jewels April 13th, 2003 06:43 PM

I hope that's not the case for you, but nerves take a looooooooong time to heal.
jewels