Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Science Fiction Shows (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Star Wars III is PG-13 (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10331)

The 14th Colony May 4th, 2005 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fragmentary
:LOL: :cry: :LOL:
I feel you.

Thanks. The girl recently dumped me and broke my heart, and now she keeps getting things that make her happy. Grrrrr!

bsg1fan1975 May 5th, 2005 03:15 AM

that bites Ron!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My philosophy with movies are, if they come out on a weeknight, wait till the weekend to go as it is cheaper and less crowds! Or I wait till they come out on dvd!

The 14th Colony May 5th, 2005 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsg1fan1975
that bites Ron!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My philosophy with movies are, if they come out on a weeknight, wait till the weekend to go as it is cheaper and less crowds! Or I wait till they come out on dvd!

I'm not sure I agree with you there. The weekends are the busier times because of so many people being off work. When Star Wars I was scheduled to open on the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend, they moved it back to Wendsday to enable more people to see before the weekend crowds filled the theatres.

Thanks about the "bites" statement. :)

bsg1fan1975 May 5th, 2005 07:36 AM

around here there isn't much of a crowd on a weekend for a summer movie, as people have various plans.

cranky1c May 5th, 2005 10:15 AM

My 6yo has been soaking up the buzz about Ep III, but with the PG13 rating I'm having second thoughts about taking him.

bsg1fan1975 May 5th, 2005 10:53 AM

cranky, I probably would be doing the same thing if it was me.

Rowan May 5th, 2005 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cranky1c
My 6yo has been soaking up the buzz about Ep III, but with the PG13 rating I'm having second thoughts about taking him.

Maybe just see it for yourself first and see if it's something you are comfortable letting him see.

cranky1c May 5th, 2005 12:36 PM

That's a good thought. My wife has heard similar stories so we're starting to talk about it. I never go to an opening week show of these big blockbusters, too much of a crowd, so we still have time. I may listen through the school grapevine for what other parents think too.

In the mean time my son's content to challenge me to duels with our toy light sabers. He acts like Yoda and tells me I'm Darth Vader.

The Oedipal implications of this are pretty amusing :LOL: ....

(BTW the new helmets rock)

ernie90125 May 5th, 2005 12:46 PM

Quote:

Oedipal implications
eh ? What does this mean. Please forgive an ignorant young man !

When I was a kid, my father would watch a film them make the decision himself. Or in one case, go to a local rock concert to see how the crowd outside was behaving then ask mum to bring me (then 6 years old) along.

Interestingly though, my father was more liberal that my mother because he was a fan of such things himself (concerts and sci-fi) I wonder if being a fan will make it more likely for a parent to consider it ok for a child to see ?

Rowan May 5th, 2005 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cranky1c
That's a good thought. My wife has heard similar stories so we're starting to talk about it. I never go to an opening week show of these big blockbusters, too much of a crowd, so we still have time. I may listen through the school grapevine for what other parents think too.

In the mean time my son's content to challenge me to duels with our toy light sabers. He acts like Yoda and tells me I'm Darth Vader.When Chris' cousin (an 11 year old boy) came to visit us I had fun with him when we were camping. It was so dark outside we used flash lights (we made the beams tight) and we played a long time both taking turns at dying glorious deaths LOL! :D ;)

The Oedipal implications of this are pretty amusing :LOL: .... LOL Cranky ;) :D

(BTW the new helmets rock)

You know always before I have avoided the big crowds and waited till things have calmed down but this time I want to be a part of the excitement, feel and share the energy of the crowd. I'm in the mood for sharing that this time :D

Dawg May 5th, 2005 01:04 PM

Since this will probably be the last Star Wars movie, I'm feeling very much the same way.

But I'll probably still go to the first showing Sunday morning rather than the 1st night. This Dawg's not fond of big crowds, most of the time. Unless they come to see me.

;)

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

cranky1c May 5th, 2005 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernie90125
eh ? What does this mean. Please forgive an ignorant young man !

Not ignorant at all, just not steeped in arcane psych theory, there are far worse fates. ;)

In a small nutshell, in psychoanalytic developmental theory, children are thought to go through a stage where they begin to resent and challenge their same sex parent for the affection of their opposite sex parent. This is thought to manifest as giving the same sex parent a hard time for a while. The child is thought to eventually identify with the same sex parent which has implications for personality development. It's called the Oedipus complex because of the Greek play in which the character Oedipus unknowingly kills his father and marries his mother. Of all the critique directed at Freud's psychoanalytic theory, this part is a regular favorite. The joke was that my 6 year old casts me as the big bad jedi/sith while casting himself as the little jedi master, very much a fantasy with Oedipal overtones.

TopGun May 5th, 2005 02:29 PM

Quote:

I use the automated ATM ticket purchasing machines they have near the ticket windows. I don't know if most people don't know what they are or just don't like them, but there's never a wait at them and there's no service fee.

I don't know if they're new and haven't spread everywhere, but if you have them at your favorite theater, they rock.

We have things like them in the Uk, to collect tickets you've bought online from the cinemas website

julix May 7th, 2005 06:00 AM

Cranky........
good explaination of the oedipal complex..........I have tried to explain it to hubby before and he always looks at me like..............."HUH"????? :wtf: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I am going to the show before you it seems so I will give you feedback.........it is of course up to each parent to decide. But knowing what I do know about it, it may be best to wait to let him see it. Actually, the advice to see it first yourselves is the best, then you can decide.

Fragmentary May 7th, 2005 12:18 PM

Let me just add this one little thing to the question of whether to let your kid see the movie or not. If they've watched and are fans of the other Star Wars movies, and you don't let them see this one. They will always remember that. You may not think something like that would carry on with a kid, but whether you ever find out about it or not, I assure you they will remember that for the rest of their lives.

julix May 7th, 2005 12:31 PM

Quote:

Let me just add this one little thing to the question of whether to let your kid see the movie or not. If they've watched and are fans of the other Star Wars movies, and you don't let them see this one. They will always remember that. You may not think something like that would carry on with a kid, but whether you ever find out about it or not, I assure you they will remember that for the rest of their lives.

I plan on letting them see it .....when they are older.......after I see it I will know better......

TopGun May 8th, 2005 03:16 AM

I know how I would feel if I were a kid who was a big Star Wars Fan and couldn't see the new movie.

ernie90125 May 8th, 2005 06:36 AM

Julix and others.....

I saw this page and thought it might be of interest to you.......

http://www.theforce.net/topstory/sto...Sith_92098.asp

Hope that helps.....

julix May 8th, 2005 06:46 AM

Thanks for the link Ernie........that is so sweet!

TopGun May 8th, 2005 07:09 AM

That was funny about the Kid being freaket out by Lilo and Stitch (a Kids Movie).

I'm seeing the movie on the thursday with friends, and then I'll be taking my Little Brother and Sister (9 and 13 respectfully) during the weekend

Kids have access to far worse movies than Star Wars anyway