Colonial Fleets

Colonial Fleets (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/index.php)
-   Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
(http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   BG-11: The Man With Nine Lives (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7799)

Fragmentary February 3rd, 2005 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antelope526
Even as a boy this scene bothered me. I found the odds of the coincidence too large. I think they should have either let us know Chameleon always knew he was Starbuck's father for real and chose to let him think otherwise or let it stand that he was nothing more than a colorful con artist.

yeah, that always bugged me too. And the fact that Chameleon makes up the science necessary to figure out this sort of stuff, but then it turns out to really work. Huh? Maybe, he heard about the process somewhere else and just told Cassie how to perform the tests and deciphere the results, but then you're stating that he understands everything well enough to answer any and all questions that the medical staff may have had along the way. So maybe, the medical staff already knew of the procedure and Chameleon never had to say anything. But then that opens up a whole new line of questioning.

The episdoe is cute, but I'm left with the unsettling feeling that the writers didn't try very hard, or worse yet, saw all the holes themselves but figured that audience wouldn't.

LZaza October 22nd, 2009 07:43 PM

Re: BG-11: The Man With Nine Lives

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antelope (Post 179935)
Even as a boy this scene bothered me. I found the odds of the coincidence too large. I think they should have either let us know Chameleon always knew he was Starbuck's father for real and chose to let him think otherwise or let it stand that he was nothing more than a colorful con artist.

I thought there was a certain amount of poetic justice in the fact that Chameleon set out to use Starbuck, and then found that the Viper pilot was indeed his son. Not only did we see character development in Starbuck, but we then witnessed a selfless act from the long-established conman, Chameleon, however misguided.

Senmut December 22nd, 2009 10:54 PM

Yes! That was, to me, the whole point, Zaz.

LZaza December 22nd, 2009 11:08 PM

I think my only complaint with this ep was Starbuck's reaction to Apollo and Boomer checking up on Chameleon. I remember at the time writhing with embarrassment that he would react that way, breaking off their friendship.

But recently I was thinking about how much he wanted Chameleon to be his father, how much he needed to find his family, how he would have carried that one sore point through his life . . . and his friends challenged the fantasy of father reuniting with son that he was finally living out. So, his dramatic overreaction actually did make sense, especially since he is Starbuck.

Senmut December 22nd, 2009 11:42 PM

PLUS....
As a kid in the orphanage, I'll bet he had no rpivacy at all. Either the other kids going through his stuff, or the staff, always making sure he isn't doing something "wrong". "All for the good of the child, you know!"
Probably brought flashbacks.

LZaza December 22nd, 2009 11:50 PM

Yeah, I can see how Starbuck wouldn't necessarily be accustomed to someone actually looking out for his welfare, more they would have been making sure he didn't screw up. All from a disciplinarian point of view.

So how many orphans do you figure ended up in the Colonial Service?

Senmut December 23rd, 2009 12:11 AM

Quite alot. They have no families, no roots. It offers them the chnace for some sort of belonging and cohesion.

djwajda January 30th, 2010 09:04 AM

i always loved this episode

LZaza January 30th, 2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwajda (Post 298694)
i always loved this episode

Me too. One of my favourites.

Senmut March 21st, 2010 11:30 PM

And hey, Fred Astaire. Too bad Siress Blassie wasn't played by Ginger Rogers... :D

Jubal November 30th, 2010 08:09 PM

For me, Battlestar and Buck Rogers had two great cameo moments. Battlestar with Fred Astaire and Buck Rogers with Buster Crabb (who played Buck Rogers in the 30's and still looked awesome in 1980... though he died not long after)

I am really torn which of the two cameos I liked best.

For Buck Rogers, you have the passing of the torch. Gil Girard (as Buck Rogers) is meeting Buster Crabb (as Col. Gordon... like Flash Gordon, another Crabb role).

SHEAR AWESOMENESS!

But then I am a big Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire fan. And here we have someone who I have seen in the big screen, that being Fred Astaire, and he is a good actor. A dancer first, but a good actor. And he is charming. I mean who better to show where Starbuck got his charm from than Fred Astaire... as a con man. :)

And apparently a womanizer as well, because Starbuck happened.

The episode kicks sideways from the exploring of planets and fighting Cylons or other races. Here we get to see life among the fleet. What it is like to see the civilian side of things. I liked that.

And you get to see the intra-fleet TV network. A nice touch.

You know if I had to demonstrate Battlestar Galactica in an episode, I probably wouldn't pick this one, but it soooo rounds out the feel of the show and balances out a lot. And for that reason it is one of those I like a lot.

Oohhh!!! Almost forgot. A few months ago Richard Hatch stopped in at a sci-fi convention in Plano. I'd seen Richard before but wanted to say hi and all. Always great to see him. So when I stepped over to his table, and got an autograph, I got it on a picture of him and Dirk, and Fred Astaire.

"Ahh it amazes me that more people don't pick that picture" he starts off by saying "maybe because it is a black and white print, but it was a joy to work with Fred Astaire." And he talked about how Fred was very quiet, but friendly to work with. Said that from his experience those that are truly big don't act big. He said that was the way of Fred Astaire. He was a big man, a great man, and well, he didn't act it.

That was just what I wanted to hear. Sometimes I find myself asking some stars about other stars that I never got to meet, as if a way to meet that other star second hand. Richard's moment of story telling was cool about Fred Astaire.

Now if I ever meet Gil, I hope he can tell me about Mr. Crabb. :D

Benedict December 1st, 2010 03:00 PM

Fantastic post and I quite agree. Fred Astaire being the legend he was, his chemistry with Benedict. One scene that stands out in that regard is when they're on the shuttle going over to...Galactica or Rising Star. Also like, as you point out, the intra-fleet news. Reminds me of when I read that US carrier's have their own news station, at least it was true of the Enterprise.
Love that opening scene going to and on the Rising Star with Starbuck and his latest surefire win and poor old Apollo. "This is my conscience, Apollo."
Cool story about Hatch. Reminds me of when I met George Lazenby, though his comment was on the rarity of the picture I chose rather than the legend of someone like Fred Astaire :)
Never seem to get to meet these heroes of mine.

And yes on Buck Rogers though some of my favourite guests on the series Michael Ansara and Anne Lockhart (aside from Pamela Hensley, of course)

skippercollecto December 30th, 2010 02:44 PM

Remember Clackers? I finally realized that they are what the laser bolls remind me of.

Colonel Archon May 16th, 2011 11:18 AM

Concerning "The Man With Nine Lives"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senmut (Post 298159)
Quite a lot. They have no families, no roots. It offers them the chance for some sort of belonging and cohesion.

"No argument there," says Colonel Archon. "The raid on Umbra orphaned me too, just as it orphaned Starbuck. The main difference was that I didn't become this fumerello-puffing schemer, the way Starbuck did!"

Senmut May 25th, 2011 12:27 AM

Okay, ya want The Star of Kobol, or a band-aid???

Colonel Archon May 25th, 2011 02:34 PM

Response

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senmut (Post 306052)
Okay, ya want The Star of Kobol, or a band-aid???

I am deeply honored.

But I must refuse.

LZaza May 28th, 2011 10:03 PM

Re: Concerning "The Man With Nine Lives"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Archon (Post 305959)
"No argument there," says Colonel Archon. "The raid on Umbra orphaned me too, just as it orphaned Starbuck. The main difference was that I didn't become this fumerello-puffing schemer, the way Starbuck did!"

There might be a therapist's couch available in Life Station, should you need it . . .:blink:

Colonel Archon May 30th, 2011 01:46 AM

Not the Warrior you are used to?

If anyone could say he is all right, after what we have been through, then I would set him up for catharsis treatment.

If that is not the Warrior you are used to, then you are perfectly welcome to ask me, "Whatever happened to the joy of living to fight another day?"

:colonial:

LZaza May 30th, 2011 06:44 AM

Catharsis treatment, eh? Haven't heard that since the "Sum of All Parts" series. In these parts we'd rather have a drink in the OC.

"Fumarello puffing schemer" is not how I would characterize Starbuck, although there are certainly notable facets of those elements. However, every secton those character flaws were overshadowed by his heroism, devotion to his comrades, and his implicit skill. His character was all the more fascinating for the depth and dichotomy within the man.

Senmut June 20th, 2011 03:49 PM

Cold drinks, Zaz!